Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grounded - shrunken kids first-person co-op survival game from Obsidian

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm going to move this thread eventually. I'm keeping it here for a while because otherwise people who don't read General Gaming will keep bumping the Obsidian General Discussion Thread ("Hey wtf why is nobody talking about this decline?!").

Literally what is the point of a "general discussion" thread for a company when you insist on putting things in their own thread? What harm will come from people discussing this in multiple threads? Might as well rename the Obsidian general to "Obsidian Twitter Thread (feat. Roguey's Reconnaissance)"

Last edited:

Flou

Arbiter
I guess they need to make as many games as possible until Parker's AAA RPG bombs and Microsoft dissolves the whole company.

It will be cheaper to fire both Parker and Feargus and replace them with someone who doesn't sabotage games. The fact that Feargus wants to direct games or a game again, just tells me he is ready for retirement. One last project and then out of the door.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

jf8350143

Liturgist
I'm not surprised they make this game, they made Armored warfare and that pathfinder card game. I'm surprised they make a relatively big deal about the revealing of this game.

"We just bought Obsidian, a developer known for making RPGs and we promised we will let them keep making RPGs, instead of forcing them to make multi-player online game. Now let's reveal their multi-player online game on our big ass event."

You would thought the PR people be smarter than this. At least give some sneak peak about future RPG project, even Bethesda knows to flash logos of Starfield and Elder Scroll 6 as a distraction when they back stabbed the Fallout franchise(again) and their entire fanbase.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know I'm gonna get attacked for this, but I don't see the problem in them making other games too so that they can be financially viable.
I personally don't care if developers are PURE RPG DEVELOPERS or not.
Obsidian got bigger and needs projects to stay alive, making only CRPGs is a risky business unless you produce something very successful like Larian did

Reinhardt

Arcane
If Microsoft and Feargus now allow teams of 14(?) people to work on such passion projects that gives hope that you might see more passionate CRPGs from the company in the future.
They will be closed next day after release and sold to Bethesda.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Another Obsidian event is scheduled for 11:30 GMT (in ~2 hours).

I have tender hope that they were monitoring reaction and left themself a chance to throw a bone to em... Obsidian's more vocal fans with some less embarrassing announcement. Like logo or smth.

Tancred

Learned
Love how the kids in that reveal are all vaguely brown-hued yoofs with trendy sportsball haircuts
honkhonk.png

It will probably flop, I mean they're only about 3 years too late with the 'open world survival' thing and Fortnite graphics isn't what their core audience wants but nevertheless I doubt this will hurt Obsidian in the long run. It's probably a low-cost side project that they pitched to M$ with some bullshit about 'brand awareness' and 'engaging with the consumers of tomorrow' while it keeps a bunch of their employees hired. Or something like that.

Tim the Bore

Scholar
So, besides the fact that this is not an RPG, do you guys have any actual complaints? Really, what is so wrong with this game? Serious question, because I don't know why everybody are so angry about this.
It's not a big AAA multiplayer or anything like that. Actually, it looks almost indie-like. The idea that this will sell - that they did it for money - is laughable. But the way everybody react to this game is a pretty good reason why the whole industry is so hopelessly stuck in one place - because anytime someone will do anything unexpected, even on such a small scale, everybody are losing their head. We don't even know anything about this game, whether is going to be good or not.
I'm not even talking about Codex, obviously, just the way everybody reacted. What am I missing?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obsidian's thing is starting now. I assume it will be mainly about Grounded:

Last edited:

Aemar

Arcane
https://www.pcgamer.com/in-grounded...ian-youre-a-shrunken-kid-in-a-giant-backyard/

For example, like every survival game, Grounded has hunger and thirst meters (you'll take damage if you let these deplete, though it will never kill you). But instead of finding a lake or river to drink from, you'll look at the blades of grass that tower above you like trees, find one with a flat globule of dew hanging from it, and punch it to knock the water loose so you can drink it. Food could be an insect you kill, slap on a spit, and cook over a fire.
Insidious eating-insects-can-save-the-planet propaganda. :lol:

Duraframe300

Arcane
They are going to add "an Obsidian touch" to this game with a narrative, player choice and a "party based tech tree"

Is this an RPG?

Nope, they avoided calling it an rpg for a reason.

The most interesting thing so far are the interactions between widlife you can influence imo. Could make for some fun screwing around.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Most interesting piece of info I got from new stream is that all people in the Grounded team are from PoEs and most of them are seniors.

Another dent at PoE's 3 chances of being somewhere near actual development :(

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom