Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For how weird it sounds, I really like how... unrewarding this game can feel sometimes. I came across a shady fuck with a woman tied up on his horse, so I chased him down, shot him dead, the woman thanked me and rode away and I'm back to my business. I didn't did it because I expected extra XP or money or special items and stuffs, I didn't even notice if I gained positive honor for that, I simply did it because I thought I should intefere and do something.

After KCD I'm always ready for more slow burn open world games where shenanigans don't happen every 5 minutes, and I'm very satisfied so far. Although keyboard control scheme leaves a lot to be desired.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Im really enjoying my copy of Big Bug Redemption II on my PC, i created permament group for cannibals in Multiplayer , join us and taste fresh meat! Cripps is happy !
38cf11686a1591dbb5819d4aefeaee5c.jpg

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Serious? Ok. Your posse is "Cripps is happy !" No Kodex Kat Klub?

According to boomer magazine, RDR2 online is a white supremacist platform for recruiting KKK.

Ivan

Arcane
I'll turn you into a caluflower :D

But in all seriousness, no, I shared that one because it was such a savage line. Something straight out of Deadwood. And this is console footage I'm sure. But still, the lighting and animation work here is astounding.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I came across a shady fuck with a woman tied up on his horse, so I chased him down, shot him dead, the woman thanked me and rode away and I'm back to my business.
I hog tied the man, put him on my horse for a bit, and scared away the horse with the girl on it. She screamed I was crazier than him as the horse galloped full speed into the woods. Very satisfying.

I'll turn you into a caluflower :D

But in all seriousness, no, I shared that one because it was such a savage line. Something straight out of Deadwood.

This one isn't the best, but Arthur is a genuinely funny character, with all his snarky remarks.

The hidden goldmine in this game is Greet, Greet, and Antagonize, since they tie into each other. I.e.:

-(Out in the wilderness) [GREET] Ah, it's so peaceful here, ain't it?
-Sure is, friend.
-[ANTAGONIZE] So, take the hint and get the hell outta here.

-[GREET] You have a kind face.
-[ANTAGONIZE] The kind I like to punch.

-[GREET] That’s some kind of animal you got there.
-Thanks.
-[ANTAGONIZE] I was talking to the horse.

-[GREET] Hey there, ma’am!
-[GREET] You remind me of a lady I once knew.
-[ANTAGONIZE] I loved that horse.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
The barrels and grips on my revolvers aren't displaying. Anybody encounter this bug? All that's there is the action, its like that in holster and out.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I'm in the market for a CECHA01 PS3 so I can play my newly assembled jrpg collection and RDR. I really didn't need to know any of this Dutch bullshit.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Finished the little errand to collect an old man's trinkets. The preaching was cartoonish. As if the diversity hires weren't jarring enough, I have to hear a cranky, irreligious old white man who kills people for cash tell a man "slavery is bad mkay". I guessed right and killed the old fuck for some bonus good guy points. Also, a black woman in lace challenged me to a horse race in Rhodes. What the is this even? I thought blacks were oppressed or whatever, but apparently the Klan only manage to set themselves on fire, and black women with white beauty standards are allowed to gallivant about town and challenge men to horse races. This is the most thematically challenged game I've played yet.:lol::lol::lol:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Finished the little errand to collect an old man's trinkets. The preaching was cartoonish. As if the diversity hires weren't jarring enough, I have to hear a cranky, irreligious old white man who kills people for cash tell a man "slavery is bad mkay".

Arthur (and the gang) are, for better or worse, portrayed to be anti-racist and yankees, so it's pretty much in character and his reaction is more like "some professions deserve to die out". The impact of the good guy message is greatly diminished by the fact, that the game makes you
kill two unfortunate hobos just to obtain the trinkets.
But yes, I think it's one of the weaker quests.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
You felt bad for the bums too? I didn't take an honor malus for killing two bums but I get honor for shooting an old man yelling at clouds. The Compson PSA is there solely as a set up for the player to shoot an old white man crying "I still exist!" and watch him burn. That isn't even trying. The white guilt hand-wringing is embarrassing. There's no need for it, unless Arthur's character arc is becoming a Quaker.

TheSentinel has a boner for this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Finished the little errand to collect an old man's trinkets. The preaching was cartoonish. As if the diversity hires weren't jarring enough, I have to hear a cranky, irreligious old white man who kills people for cash tell a man "slavery is bad mkay". I guessed right and killed the old fuck for some bonus good guy points. Also, a black woman in lace challenged me to a horse race in Rhodes. What the is this even? I thought blacks were oppressed or whatever, but apparently the Klan only manage to set themselves on fire, and black women with white beauty standards are allowed to gallivant about town and challenge men to horse races. This is the most thematically challenged game I've played yet.:lol::lol::lol:

Never fear. The hu-mans that made this game don't talk to black women, never rode a horse, and the only Rhodes they know are the paved ones they drive their little smart cars on.

I'm gonna pass on the game until someone mods in the ability to join the klan, capture runaway slaves for cash, and hawk Chinese immigrant girls to fat perverted railway barons for even more cash. Just think of the 'non-linear' possibilities! If they did that, I'd give it GOTY. 10 opium tents out of 10.

Ivan

Arcane
tldr: enjoy it as a hiking/horseback riding sim, suffer through obnoxious hand-holding story, wish more more demanding survival mechanics

An impeccably pretty open-world western with disappointing gameplay. If you’ve played a Rockstar game, you know the drill: story missions consist of you sticking to the game’s script. If you deviate from your objective, the game will penalize you. The game is consistently condescending and presents you with boring tasks. Many times you will feel like you’re playing the world’s most elegant walking sim. Combat is still as boring as I remember from the first game. My main gripe with the game is that the survival mechanics are too lenient. You NEVER have enough incentive to hunt, rob, cook, or maintain your weapons. It’s all fluff to acquire new cosmetics that I don’t have the time/interest to put the time in. The game is extremely stubborn with what weapons you have on your back. Often it resets your loadout, or forces you to use certain weaponry. That being said, exploration still feels great because of the love and care put into the audio and wildlife of the game. While the itemization is extremely poor, and resource management is a joke, I maintain that this is the prettiest open world I’ve ever experienced. It felt like The Witcher 3 on steroids. I ran the game on a GTX1080 and tweaked the settings targeting 60 fps and I was in awe not just by the animations but by the lighting. These were my favorite moments in the game. When the game turns into hiking/horseback riding sim mode, I loved it. There are a plethora of wacky “WTF HAPPENED HERE” locations that are a joy to stumble upon.

I know Rockstar will never make the game I crave. I know that they will never adopt the kind of stringent mechanics that I hunger for, i.e. STALKER Misery type of resource management/survival mechanics. That being said, it’s always incredible to see how much love and care they put into their open worlds. Here are some mod ideas that would increase my enjoyment: have Arthur’s health core deteriorate faster if he doesn’t eat, have guns jam if they aren’t cleaned after being exposed to rain/long periods of time, for God’s sake sort the weapon loadout nonsense, more stringent Dead Eye, increases prices of all goods to incentivize robbing.

Story/Characters - Voice acting is great across the board, but the ambient and environmental sounds steal the show. The game has a lot of fat and didn’t need to be as long as it is. Dutch’s “decline” is milked and loses its impact by the end. That being said, it was great playing the role of Arthur and interacting with his compas.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I know Rockstar will never make the game I crave.

They have zero motivation to change their formula since they make the most popular games in the world. No reason to complain about pizza tasting like pizza.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom