Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Check out the first trailer for Betrayal at Krondor homage Call of Saregnar

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Call of Saregnar; Legendworks

Since 2014 or so, esteemed Codexer Damjan Mozetič AKA Rhuantavan has been working on an indie pet project by the name of Call of Saregnar. It's an oldschool first-person party-based RPG inspired by the likes of Betrayal at Krondor, Daggerfall and Realms of Arkania, but mostly by Betrayal at Krondor as you'll soon see. Somehow we never got around to posting news about it until now, but this new trailer Rhuantavan put together for the annual Slovenian Games Conference is the perfect opportunity. Check it out:

Call of Saregnar will probably be in development for quite a while longer, but it's definitely coming along nicely. If you'd like to help Rhuantavan and his small team out, you may wish to consider donating to his Patreon. Additional links and details are available on the game's official website.

Saulot

Novice
Looks very atmospheric and you're hitting all the right notes.
Betrayal at Krondor was a great game and my first rpg love.
Will definitely be getting this and wish you best of luck with finishing development.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I sometimes forget just how nice the simple "sprite-always-facing-you" trick can look.
Very good trailer. Looking forward to more.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Looks cool, almost identical. Of course Betrayal at Krondor had a somewhat interesting story and world to back it up. I'm a little worried we'll get something amateurish on that end here.

Vapid

Learned
Rhuantavan, your game has restored my will to live.
Unfortunately, I can't really afford to fork out 30 bucks all at once. Will it still count if I throw at your paypal account some cash every now and then? In other words: can a poor codexer pay in installments? Patreon is out of the question.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I sometimes forget just how nice the simple "sprite-always-facing-you" trick can look.
Very good trailer. Looking forward to more.
I'm not too sure about the trees and bushes, I think I'd prefer if they were just static flat objects, the turnaround effect always looks kinda silly to me. Maybe have objects be static in a 2D plane but intersect them a couple times in the 3D space so it doesn't look so flat. I mean, maybe that's not the best choice either, but I just never liked the speedtree sorta look, it bothered the hell out of me in Gothic 3 for example.

Other than that, great trailer! I also like the character resolutions a lot more now.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
Finally someone has made a game trailer that shows the game, not some boring cutscene. It also looks gorgeous, the music is amazing and I hope the end result is as good(or even better than) as this trailer.

Last edited:

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Thank you, everyone!

Looks cool, almost identical. Of course Betrayal at Krondor had a somewhat interesting story and world to back it up. I'm a little worried we'll get something amateurish on that end here.

Well, it's hard to come up to nealiios' level writing-wise, but I'll do my best to make it worth your time. Lore-wise, I believe my world is shaping up quite nicely. I've been working on it for many years now, and I like where it's at.

Rhuantavan, your game has restored my will to live.
Unfortunately, I can't really afford to fork out 30 bucks all at once. Will it still count if I throw at your paypal account some cash every now and then? In other words: can a poor codexer pay in installments? Patreon is out of the question.

There's no rush pre-ordering it and there's no need to go the Patreon way. If you want to send me cash every now and then, you can do that, just use the same account (email) when you do so, so I can eventually sum the donations together.

I'm not too sure about the trees and bushes, I think I'd prefer if they were just static flat objects, the turnaround effect always looks kinda silly to me. Maybe have objects be static in a 2D plane but intersect them a couple times in the 3D space so it doesn't look so flat. I mean, maybe that's not the best choice either, but I just never liked the speedtree sorta look, it bothered the hell out of me in Gothic 3 for example.

Other than that, great trailer! I also like the character resolutions a lot more now.

Eh, I've been through the various techniques so many times that I eventually settled with billboards. Personally, I quite like the way they look, even if they're a bit wierd when rotating and/or looking up/down. You get used to it.

mindfields

Learned
I have to admit, those photo sprites gave me the nostalgia feels. Shame it'll probably have a preset party like BaK though.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Monocause

Arcane
That tavern lute begs to be strummed.

A fun fact is that I think I played BaK for the first (and last) time, like, 15-17 years ago, can't even remember exactly - and I can still recall the played melody from memory. Including the botched attempts at said melody which you heard when your skill was too low.

This is how you can tell that a game carved new pathways in your brain. Some of the oldies were able to achieve so much with so little, it's amazing.

Does anyone incidentally know how this was done technically? I imagine they just had a number of different midi tracks that played for different skill thresholds, but it could also be done automatically, where lower skill levels introduce automatically generated variance in the tempo and tones - this way you would never hear the same fuckup twice.

Rhuantavan consider doing the above for CoS lute-playing!

Last edited:

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Does anyone incidentally know how this was done technically? I imagine they just had a number of different midi tracks that played for different skill thresholds, but it could also be done automatically, where lower skill levels introduce automatically generated variance in the tempo and tones - this way you would never hear the same fuckup twice.

They had a number of pre-recorded tracks.

Rhuantavan consider doing the above for CoS lute-playing!

It’s already implemented, pretty much in the same way BaK did it. :)

Monocause

Arcane
It’s already implemented, pretty much in the same way BaK did it. :)

Ack, maybe the automation could be in for the sequel then. Lute-playing is very obviously a critical feature of any BaK-like and the codebase should reflect that! :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom