Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Gsync tho. That could definitely be smoothing it out. I need to get a gsync monitor soon.

Anyway I gave an explenation above about what frame-drops are. If you were to cap TOW to 30fps, as an example, there would be moments while walking around when it would drop to 29 or 28fps every so often; something that should normally not happen. My guess is it's Unreal Engine 4 asset streaming shenanigans.

Coincidentally I saw similar frame drops happen just now while watching someone stream Jedi Fallen Order game on Twitch. That game's UE4 as well.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
Anyway I gave an explenation above about what frame-drops are.

Speaking of which, I don't know if this is connected but the textures-popping-in-later of the Unreal engine is quite annoying sometimes!

Starwars

Arcane
The shooty-shooty is way better than New Vegas. HOWEVER...

... everything else about the combat is way worse. Weapons are more way more boring (though the Science weapons are a fun gimmick), loot is horrendously shitty and the combat encounter design is fucked up the ass.

If you enjoyed the moments of peace and quiet you had sometimes in New Vegas while walking in the wild (a bit unfair to compare directly perhaps since NV is open world, but still) then, well... TOW is here to show you that it's wrong and that it's waaaay more fun for you to shoot at the same shitty monster type every 5 seconds.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Sony and MS can't really BS 100% when physical distribution is still high on consoles, distributors give a good indication of sales figures. Figures on PC here are no doubt muddy and likely lower than consoles due to Epic. Any data is probably from "Game-Pass sales" (Microsoft looking at Windows & Xbox as one platform).
NPD numbers are also just America. Looking into them too much is dumb and retards should stop deliberately forgetting to mention that little tidbit when posting NPD crap.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Sony and MS can't really BS 100% when physical distribution is still high on consoles, distributors give a good indication of sales figures. Figures on PC here are no doubt muddy and likely lower than consoles due to Epic. Any data is probably from "Game-Pass sales" (Microsoft looking at Windows & Xbox as one platform).
NPD numbers are also just America. Looking into them too much is dumb and retards should stop deliberately forgetting to mention that little tidbit when posting NPD crap.
Well, yeah. But, America is still the biggest video gaming market. And NPD numbers are still the closest you get to any real indication of a games performance in the states, unless you believe publishers.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The companion quests feels really linear and didn't really have much choices other than just "not doing it properly", which is strange since most of the other quests are not like this.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Got around the bug of Chairman Rockwell crashing my game by killing his fat useless ass, the rest was two conversation and couple of skill checks away, I am surprised there is no word about Rose valley in endings nor its acknowledged I killed Sublight and also continued the research about nutrition it was three planets quests after all, It was fun for price I payed thanks Micro-soft I guess, but last three dungeons were blur for me only wanted the game to finish sooner. So much was caught away or just left for sequel I guess but i am really not eager to play it again if only how board endings differs from mine:

You bought an end to the chaos on Tartarus and proved yourself the most capable leader left in the colony.

You administered the colony in your own image. With the old power of the Board destroyed, a new government of Halycon rose with you at its center. With your steady hand, you guided Halcyon through the turbulent years that were to follow and helped ensure the survival of the colony until the end of your days.

So Chairman by your own hand and generous application of machine gun fire, Have fun discussing this shit game Comrades, I am finished. :hero:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Retard,it is a bunch of big words meaning nothing. Every time is the same,epic and the publisher say that they sold good or above expectations,then half a year later some dev leaks that it wasn't actually true. Either show some hard data or fuck off shill!

NPD doesn't give hard data to the public anymore (their statistics are meant for business analysts in the first place), except general numbers of software and hardware sales (for a few years now). So, you're not going to get exact numbers.It's also not measuring sold units, but hard cash value.

So, the only hard fact here is, as I said, that Outer Worlds was the second best selling game in october in the US. That's a fact. What that means, we don't know. It could be that Modern Warfare ate up all game sales in the month and every other game sold horribly. That's possible by all accounts.

They are officialy recognized though (not just for videogames, but for sales data in general).
Yeah,no data means just guesses and make believe numbers. For all we know it could have flopped. The data in that article is pretty useless,one of those that are used to hype the game after release so the stocks don't drop. If they sold very well,we would have gotten an actual number.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Yeah,no data means just guesses and make believe numbers. For all we know it could have flopped. The data in that article is pretty useless,one of those that are used to hype the game after release so the stocks don't drop. If they sold very well,we would have gotten an actual number.

Again, they're as close to accurate as you're gonna get for retail. They are an international market research institution. They don't just make them public anymore. Period. They did in the past (And were

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_NPD_Group
NPD measures how consumers shop across all channels, sourcing data from both retailers and consumers to quantify sales, share, distribution, and velocity. The market research company collects point-of-sale data, tracking retailers, distributors, and foodservice operators, measuring what’s selling at 1,250 retailers, across 300,000 stores. NPD also interviews 12 million consumers annually and tracks millions of their receipts—following the same consumers over time—to understand shifting tastes and trends.

NPD helps retailers, manufacturers, financial analysts, and the public sector measure performance, predict future performance, improve marketing and product development, and identify business and consumer trends and market opportunities. NPD tracks spending and has dedicated advisers and analysts in more than 20 industries: apparel, appliances, automotive, beauty, books, consumer electronics, e-commerce, entertainment, fashion accessories, food consumption, foodservice, footwear, home, juvenile products, mobile, office supplies, retail, sports, technology, toys, travel retail, video games, and watches/jewelry.[1]

That's the closest you are going to get from an independent organization. The rest is from the publishers themselves.
(Who ususally are lying through their teeth to look good for investors)

And at that point we can't remotly trust any indication of performance ever. If thats your point. Then, ok. I understand.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I have an RTX 2070 Super, 4ghz i7, 16gb RAM, and at 1080p max settings I got tons of hitching and stuttering at launch. A driver update fixed most of it but its sad when a game like this runs poorly while AC Odyssey, Rage 2, Borderlands 3, Greedfall, and Control all run silky smooth 60fps+ at max on the same hardware.

While it's easy to blame the devs they don't actually have access to the render code, they have to ask Nvidia and AMD to optimize the game for them. Bigger releases get more attention, naturally, and this game ships with an AMD splash logo which tells me nvidia had little incentive to put forth their best effort.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can't wait to play this game in 5 years with mods like "anti-stutter", "FixPack v234945" etc
To keep the tradition going

Jezal_k23

I have an RTX 2070 Super, 4ghz i7, 16gb RAM, and at 1080p max settings I got tons of hitching and stuttering at launch. A driver update fixed most of it but its sad when a game like this runs poorly while AC Odyssey, Rage 2, Borderlands 3, Greedfall, and Control all run silky smooth 60fps+ at max on the same hardware.

While it's easy to blame the devs they don't actually have access to the render code, they have to ask Nvidia and AMD to optimize the game for them. Bigger releases get more attention, naturally, and this game ships with an AMD splash logo which tells me nvidia had little incentive to put forth their best effort.

What? Your Borderlands 3 is smooth? Always? That's just about unbelievable to me.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Doesn't EGS fuck with the modability somehow?

You're thinking of MS Windows Store, which btw is what GamePass is. It encrypts (or something like that) the game files and u can't do shit to them, like for example you can't even use .ini tweaks with the UE4 games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom