Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape torment vs FF7 story?

From what i've heard Xenogears,Suikoden 2,FF tactics,Persona 2,Tactics Ogre and Trails in the Sky are the best jrpg's storywise.

I don't remember shit about FF7 story,it's all confusing nonsense.

From what i've heard Xenogears,Suikoden 2,FF tactics,Persona 2,Tactics Ogre and Trails in the Sky are the best jrpg's storywise.

What? I thought FF7 has the best story out of all the JRPGs?

i've played suikoden 1 recently and the story is way better than FF7,not even close.Even Vagrant Story(a game i didn't like)have better story than FF7.

FF7 story is average to good.

But anyway,i think you're just trolling,so...

deama

Prophet

i've played suikoden 1 recently and the story is way better than FF7,not even close.Even Vagrant Story(a game i didn't like)have better story than FF7.

FF7 story is average to good.

But anyway,i think you're just trolling,so...
No I'm not trolling, I was serious, but if FF7's story isn't actually that great, then... idk.
It's just that over the years everyone kept saying FF7's story was good, not here, other places, and some people I knew said the same thing, so I thought it was considered pretty good.

No I'm not trolling, I was serious, but if FF7's story isn't actually that great, then... idk.
It's just that over the years everyone kept saying FF7's story was good, not here, other places, and some people I knew said the same thing, so I thought it was considered pretty good.

Did you even played FF7 ?

You're comparing a Isometric Visual novel with superb writting/storytelling(from what i've heard,never played PST)with a game full of japanese autism and average writting/storytelling(even for jrpg's standards)made for teenagers.

Last edited:

Swigen

Arbiter
I’ve tried to play Planescape Torment like 5 times and I always fall asleep before getting out of the starting area but I beat Final Fantasy 7 and I didn’t even fall asleep ONCE in the whole gaem!!

Does that answer your question?

deama

Prophet

Did you even played FF7 ?

You're comparing a Isometric Visual novel with superb writting/storytelling(from what i've heard,never played PST)with a game full of japanese autism and average writting/storytelling(even for jrpg's standards)made for teenagers.
I played it for like 2 hours a long time ago, didn't really understand the hype, so I thought maybe you were supposed to play it for longer or maybe I was just weird.

I’ve tried to play Planescape Torment like 5 times and I always fall asleep before getting out of the starting area but I beat Final Fantasy 7 and I didn’t even fall asleep ONCE in the whole gaem!!

Ye I have a friend who's similiar to you I think, he falls asleep whenever he has to read too much.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

If you played them when you were 13 then yes, that explains everything.

I played it for like 2 hours a long time ago, didn't really understand the hype, so I thought maybe you were supposed to play it for longer or maybe I was just weird.

FF 7 is good but overrated.

After FF7 you should play Suikoden 2 or Xenogears.They're both better than FF7,storywise.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet

FF 7 is good but overrated.

After FF7 you should play Suikoden 2 or Xenogears.They're both better than FF7,storywise.
I played xenogears, was ok, I could never make it past the half way point (tried twice) because of story reasons; combat was neat though.

I played xenogears, was ok, I could never make it past the half way point (tried twice) because of story reasons; combat was neat though.

If you said so.

I've never played Xenogears but alot of people say it's the best jrpg storywise.I currently playing FF9 for the first time,Xenogears is the next game on my list.

You should try Suikoden 2 or Trails in the sky.

laclongquan

Arcane
FF7 story is overrated.

Angst-ridden, PTSDed trooper who misremember himself as being an elite while he's not. Amnesia trope but he's no The Nameless One (because TNO in any incarnation is awesome). ANYWAY, fake-elite and friends get on an adventure to save the planet from being wounded by overexploitation. The End.

Seriously. The self discovery of Cloud is okay but he get a crippling minus point: his gal, Aerith, get shishkabobed right there without we being able to do a damn thing. This put a black cloud over the whole thing. Without this NTR feature, FF7 story is average to good. with it, the impotent tears of players raise it to another level.

There is also another minus point in the face of backup girl actually is childhood girlfriend and hotter than dead girl in anyway you can count. So it put more emphasis on that loss.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
FF7 is one of the most overrated games in the world. I mean Planet Escape is overrated too, but they are not even close. FF7 is on kojima levels of overrated.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
This put a black cloud over the whole thing.
48e9c6e0e83f6c7605b12fc31bf9480a.jpg

hexer

I was just wondering which one has the better story/narrative for anyone that's played both? Especially multiple times?

The game with the most similar story to Planescape Torment is...
...the first Nier game.
Some of the coincidences are stunning, I even mentioned it to Chris Avellone when we talked about its sequel, Nier Automata.

Personally, I'd go with FF X as the one with the best story

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
No video game to date has anything resembling an even remotely competent story and they are entirely the wrong medium for author driven narrative.

Playing games for story is like fishing for cows.

Cat Dude

Savant
If you love playing Kojima games you might find FF7 story much better.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
PST's is for the thinkers & logical types, FF7 is for the feelers & emotive types.

Yes, Planetscape Tournament is for men, and Final Fantasy Seven is for women.

Hell yeah, baby. You came up with that yourself. I give you all the credit, you very sharp, very precise tool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom