Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The fall of golden fall.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
You know, I applaud your efforts to create a game and put it out into the world. It may never be on anyone's Top 100 list of best games, but at least you stand by it. It's obvious you're passionate about the project. Good for you.

Keep going. It's important to follow your dreams.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
I think the game is quite fun and not too long.
You can get your money's worth of enjoyment from it, without having to invest so much time in grinding that the game starts feeling like a second job.
It is lacking in some aspects of Polish, but overall you get a nice experience that leaves a good taste in your mouth.

It has secrets and surprises and interesting level design.
Each level is a bit like a riddle. You might finish it in the first go, but you might need to remember the level and try it again with a better strategy.

The mere fact that I didn't get totally bored from playtesting it, is a sign for myself that this game has real gameplay.

I believe you will enjoy playing this game, unless you get frustrated from the few issues like things not being too clear because no tutorial or tool tips/

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
There's nothing stopping you from continually improving the game. Maybe you should start asking for advice on how to improve it. There are some people on these forums who will actually give constructive criticism. Some people.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
I really need to get more feedback on the game.
But now the way things are feel like part of the game itself. I don't want to make the GUI more visually appealing because it would change the game, and I am already doing it for the next game.
The two things I might want to add is "autowalk" which I already did for the next game, and tool tips/tutorial.
But I need more feedback on my game for the latter.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
PompiPompi Psst... your movement interpolation variables are reversed. You need to use the negative of what they currently are, so your character will actually appear to move between cells smoothly.

newtmonkey

Arcane
PompiPompi
The fact that you made a game and put it out there deserves respect, even if, in my opinion, your game would have been better off on the appstore or maybe on itch.io for free, to serve as a stepping stone to make something better.

The only advice I can give is to know your audience. If you lurked at the Codex a bit you'd know that your game is not going to interest anyone here. Here's how RPGCodex breaks down: you've got a group of people that have played and finished the best of the best of RPGs released over the last 40 years and aren't going to be interested in your game, a group of people who began playing RPGs with Baldur's Gate and Fallout and expect at least that level of quality (if not in presentation than at least in mechanics and depth) and aren't gonna be interested in your game, and then a group of shitposters who wouldn't even try your game if it was the best RPG to come out in 30 years.

The best you can hope for is encouragement and advice on how to improve, which ProphetSword and shihonage were kind enough to provide.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
PompiPompi
The fact that you made a game and put it out there deserves respect, even if, in my opinion, your game would have been better off on the appstore or maybe on itch.io for free, to serve as a stepping stone to make something better.

The only advice I can give is to know your audience. If you lurked at the Codex a bit you'd know that your game is not going to interest anyone here. Here's how RPGCodex breaks down: you've got a group of people that have played and finished the best of the best of RPGs released over the last 40 years and aren't going to be interested in your game, a group of people who began playing RPGs with Baldur's Gate and Fallout and expect at least that level of quality (if not in presentation than at least in mechanics and depth) and aren't gonna be interested in your game, and then a group of shitposters who wouldn't even try your game if it was the best RPG to come out in 30 years.

The best you can hope for is encouragement and advice on how to improve, which ProphetSword and shihonage were kind enough to provide.
It's just a different experience.
You don't need to invest a lot of time in it, and it will still be fun, IMO.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
It's just a different experience.
You don't need to invest a lot of time in it, and it will still be fun, IMO.

A couple of things here:

1) Your opinion is biased. If someone else (preferably a long-term Codex member) says it's fun, we're likely to pay a bit more attention. Maybe give a free copy to someone to review?

2) Not investing a lot of time is sort of the opposite of what any RPG is about. I don't know about the rest of the Codex, but an RPG to me means I will be investing a lot of time.

3) You keep saying your game is a different experience. Different from what? The video kind of makes it look like an old Ultima game if we stripped out everything that made Ultima interesting or a roguelike without the roguelike elements.

4) I respect your passion and the fact that you put it out there for people to digest, even if all they do is give you a hard time about it. At this point, though, you need to stop defending your position, listen to feedback and answer questions about your game. You also need to accept that you can do better. If you're not willing to grow, you won't grow. It's as simple as that.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
I know my opinion is biased, I also give a curator key to RPGCodex, not sure what they did with it heh.
Sometimes you like to eat a big meal, sometimes you want a small meal or a snack.
I think what matters is the ratio between time invested and new interesting content. I think I tried to maintain so there will be new things every level. New monsters and new items.
Sometimes to be satisfied from the meal it needs to be tasty, even if you eat a big meal and it's not tasty, you might want to eat more.
Well it's different in the sense that it goes back to the basics. It's classic style game. And I think those kind of games are missing nowadays.

I listen, and I answer. I think overall it's a good experience. I know it has issues and I can do better. But given I played this game a lot, I think overall it's enjoyable and worth your time(if not your money).
As I mentioned I didn't suffer playtesting this game many times, and that means a lot for a developer.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Hello,
I have been disappointed by my own game's lack of interest.
Golden Fall.
An RPG game you can play without worrying it will be yet another too long time consuming RPG.

I beg you to play it!
It is now FREE on iOS and Mac.
I will probably make it free on Google Play as well.
On amazon I forgot to udpate the price.
On Steam it's 99 cents, as there are no free sales.

Please, try iot out. Give it feedback.
I truly believe it's a good game, and I feel desperate that no one tries it.

Here are store links:

Steam(99c): https://store.steampowered.com/app/884630/Golden_Fall/
iOS(free):https://apps.apple.com/us/app/golden-fall/id1473700267
Mac(free): https://apps.apple.com/pe/app/golden-fall/id1470597898?l=en&mt=12
Google Play(99c):https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.PompiPompi.RPGEngine&hl=en

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
ss_7f56c849c4bfeec33fd6f3ac53b8689c1e82a7f7.jpg

I recommend re-writing it for a different graphics engine.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Somehow the visuals are very appealing to me. I odn't know why. Maybe because I made them myself.
Edit: Ok, only on Dec 7 the game will be free on Google Play, as they don't let me schedule sales whenever I want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom