Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Vampire the Mascuerade redemption
I am not sure if the majority of attributes actually do anything apart from being just a requirement to learn certain disciplines.
I heard that people criticized it for being a mediocre dungeon crawler or something and i can kinda see why. These dungeon segments are quite lengthy and you need to deal with the not so smart ai wasting their bloodpool on trash mobs. The latter issue can be somewhat solved by turning off their ability use in options until you reach a somewhat more serious encounter.
Doesn't help that all vampire enemies i encountered so far like to run away when low on health. Sounds cool on paper, but the game has an issue with trying to hit anything that moves even so slighly away from you which drags the encounter and serves only to annoy you.
I kinda like the rage mechanic, it's very easy for your character to go berserk and start sucking their teammates during a tougher encounter. You need to plan around that.
I just started to encounter some enemy variance in the form of nosferatu who like to go invisible. You can only see and hit them from time to time without sense presence active and it's easier for them to start the usual escape routine.
I regretted not trying to get 5 dots in feeding early, you can drain the enemy vampires with this and your characters can barely grab them if you have merely two dots in this.
Speaking of disciplines, i am not sure what my Christof should focus on for i got plenty of options. I am definitely maxing the basic ones like blood strength/dex and celerity. I also got the Animalism tome, not sure to whom i should give it.

Raapys

Arcane
Feeding is far too powerful indeed, you can spam it to win almost any encounter. Along with healing, it's basically all you need. The feral claw transformation is perhaps the best of the later disciplines, unless you wanna play mage. But mage is tedious, since you're constantly forced to feed to replenish spent blood anyway. A lot of wasted potential sadly, since almost all disciplines end up being useless with the way the game mechanics and AI work.

The attributes are working, with strength adding to weapon melee damage, dexterity increasing to-hit and dodge chance and stamina adding soak, but I think there were bugs with both the display and mechanics.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
At 121 hours, I have completed Persona 5. What a ride!

I've reached the final dungeon in Bravely Second at 52ish hours. I'm not going for a 100% run. I'm missing lots of weapons and some jobs.

My true reason to post here is that I started up South Park: Fractured But Whole. I got an update prompt and it turns out that it is bigger than the actual game. WTF!?

cosmicray

Savant
The Witness. I'm in love with design and minimalistic approach. And puzzles are properly hard, not some Portal bullshit.
Sometime after several hours it got somewhat repetetive, but once I began doing something else it became more interesting. Stuck on specific puzzle - take a walk, there are lots of other puzzles to learn.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
BattleTech
Reinstalled it after leaving it behind since release. Still a resource hog. Still got all the social justice bugaboos. How they managed to emasculate a game featuring giant killer robots, I will never know.

"No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the LORD." - Deuteronomy 23-1

"No one who allows pissy Muslim women to tinker with giant killer robots shall make video games." - Neuteronomy 12-3.

Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected
Jigsaws Galore . Made a custom jigsaw out of this :

fallen-angel.jpg

Puukko

Arcane
Finished KOTOR II. My opinion of the game waned a bit towards the end and I did not like having to solo metric fucktons of sith at the end even if I had great tools for it. My favorite parts of the game involved developing party members and whenever it gimped me by forcing me to go solo or with a pre-selected party I wanted to get those bits done as quickly as possible. Other than that, this game ranks comfortably above 1 for me and I am glad I finally got around to it.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like my Severance: Blade of Darkness adventure is dead, owing to a seemingly unavoidable CTD in the Oasis of Nebjebjejbjeb level. Shucks.

Then again, I didn't find it to be anything more than all right, really. I played as the amazon, and once I'd gotten the hang of directional attacks combat never posed much of a challenge. For some reason, I had an enormous amount of trouble performing the combos, and of the seven or so weapons I found, I could only reliably pull off one of them. That one turned out to be enough to OHK all normal mooks throughout half the game, with larger boss-type enemies taking about three hits, with the result that I didn't switch out the weapon in question even when I found ones that dealt more than twice as much damage with normal attacks. It trivialised the game, but honestly, it wasn't hard anyway, as dodging blows was trivially easy, with the amazon's dodge roll being about as overpowered as Geralt's in The Witcher 3. It's essentially an invincibility button unless you happen to be near a ledge, from which you could fall off if you're not careful.

Level design was pretty cool, but very monotonous. It's fun to crisscross the maps pulling switches and picking up slews of keys like you're playing a shooter, but I'm not sure how many more drab gray-brown castle/cave levels I could stand. Maybe it gets better, but I won't be able to see it. I probably would have completed it if it hadn't died on me, but as far as I got, I failed to see the magic.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Started playing Soul Reaver. I played it a few years ago once, but I abandoned it after a few levels, locations. I just loved the atmosphere of this game, but something didn't click for me regarding the gameplay. I'm giving it now a second chance.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Started playing Soul Reaver. I played it a few years ago once, but I abandoned it after a few levels, locations. I just loved the atmosphere of this game, but something didn't click for me regarding the gameplay. I'm giving it now a second chance.
Never played the soul reaver, but i can understand this sort of feeling when it comes to some other games.

Beowulf

Arcane
Looks like my Severance: Blade of Darkness adventure is dead, owing to a seemingly unavoidable CTD in the Oasis of Nebjebjejbjeb level. Shucks.

Then again, I didn't find it to be anything more than all right, really. I played as the amazon, and once I'd gotten the hang of directional attacks combat never posed much of a challenge. For some reason, I had an enormous amount of trouble performing the combos, and of the seven or so weapons I found, I could only reliably pull off one of them. That one turned out to be enough to OHK all normal mooks throughout half the game, with larger boss-type enemies taking about three hits, with the result that I didn't switch out the weapon in question even when I found ones that dealt more than twice as much damage with normal attacks. It trivialised the game, but honestly, it wasn't hard anyway, as dodging blows was trivially easy, with the amazon's dodge roll being about as overpowered as Geralt's in The Witcher 3. It's essentially an invincibility button unless you happen to be near a ledge, from which you could fall off if you're not careful.

Level design was pretty cool, but very monotonous. It's fun to crisscross the maps pulling switches and picking up slews of keys like you're playing a shooter, but I'm not sure how many more drab gray-brown castle/cave levels I could stand. Maybe it gets better, but I won't be able to see it. I probably would have completed it if it hadn't died on me, but as far as I got, I failed to see the magic.

Amazon is the easy mode because of her superior reach (she uses mostly polearms and spears from what I remember) and this dodge-roll.
Not much changes in the later levels regarding the visuals.
I understand that you think it's just all right, but back in the day it was the best melee slasher with one of the best looking environments. And it hasn't been dethroned for a very long time (some might argue that it still sits at the top, perhaps together with Die by the sword).
It had water reflections, dynamic shadows and whatnot - visually it was a very atmospheric game.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I understand that you think it's just all right, but back in the day it was the best melee slasher with one of the best looking environments.
Fair enough. "Good for its time" is usually a disclaimer meant for people who can't handle older games, but I guess that isn't the case here. I'll be setting the hounds on myself now, but I can't see any sense in which Dark Souls doesn't trounce this game. Individual map size/complexity is maybe the only thing, if we are to take each named DS area as its own separate map.

I'll grant you that with the shadows and water reflections it is a very good-looking game.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Resident Evil 6 mostly played coop with a friend of mine,not a bad game,it's not a survival horror game but an action game with zombies in it,so if you want a horror game you will be disappointed.There are some problems with it like the clunky controls and camera but I liked the fact that there are 4 parallel storylines you get to play to get the whole story and you get some coll and fun moments,some qte/action sequences suck balls though.Recommended only for coop sessions with a buddy.

Finished up DF2:Jedi Knight. Think this is the first time I've finished it completely legit. When I was a kid I'd always have to resort to cheats at some point or just get frustrated trying to figure out how to progress and warp a level ahead, but this time was all the way from beginning to end on hard. Great game.

Really like the weapon/saber balance and how everything feels like it has a use (well, maybe not the Bryer pistol and the mines). Never been a fan of how JK2 is 95% about the saber and 90% of non-saber enemies become completely effortless with how easy it is to block. JK feels more "real", like how Han Solo would fight if he was a jedi. Throw a couple thermal detonators down the lift before going down yourself. Save the saber for the ambushes and duels.

The Stormtroopers really are great. For a game that has pretty much one enemy type for most of the game they do a good job of being fun to kill, with good hit reactions, death screams, and always a bit dangerous to fight but never due to superhuman reflexes or anything lame. I think they rank up there with DOOM's Zombies and Shotgunners as some of the best general fodder that you can always have fun mowing down. Fuck Trandoshans though, it's a good thing that they only exist to ruin a handful of areas.

P. sure Jedi Knight forces (ohoho) 2 or so levels in force jump upon you by assigning them automatically because a handful of places do require you to use it, so that's a negative.

Can confirm that there is absolutely zero need to use force powers to finish the game, and there is no auto-assignment of powers. All progression blockers have a method of completion that involves not needing force jump. Finished with zero assigned powers (ending cinematic still shows Katarn force-pulling Jerec's saber). You'll definitely miss out on tons of secrets though.

Was also surprised that the ammo/health pickups seemed well balanced throughout the game for not using force powers, e.g. they didn't stop giving you adequate supplies on the assumption that you'd just be using force healing or force destruction all the time.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Nearing the end of Diablo 2 1.09 on Nightmare with seven different characters.

Most deadly enemies:
The Ancients. My Bowazon can melee all the uber bosses without much problem, but The Ancients rape her. Guided Missiles worked wonders, though.
Bosses with Multi-Shot and Lightning Enchanted. There's no real defense against those big fat bolts of lightning; Diablo's breath is like a gentle breeze in comparison.
Nilathak's Corpse Explosions. Tricky for those that can't summon cannon fodder.
Undead Dolls; glass bombs.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Pillars of Eternity 2 and 2 of its dlc(Beast of Winter and Forgotten Sanctum),didn't bother with the other since I read that it's mostly various challenge battle and I am not really interest in that kind of stuff.I would say it's mostly an improvement over the first game,setting,quests,gameplay are all better imho although the main quest/story is once again just meh.Still I would say a better game than the first one.Recommended

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane

The gameplay was never that good. When it came out it was known for a few things:

1. No load times.
2. Voice acting
3. Music.
4. The story.

With the actual game being more of a chore to get to the story. Many games have this flaw, but this one has it the most. That is why you can find the entire story of the series on Youtube in a well edited package. I've heard the second Soul Reaver holds up a little better gameplay wise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom