Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
according to fextralife the game is more like nu-TombRaider and less like Dark Souls

I haven't played Sekiro so maybe that's a better comparison, but the pushing against Dark Souls comparisons baffles me. It has the same flask system, the same save point/respawn system, the same focus on dodge and parry melee, the same 3D Metroid style level design, the same optional tough enemies guard cool shit design, etc. etc. It also has some platforming and puzzles like modern Tomb Raider, so it's kind of a mix of the two, but anyone saying "it's not like Dark Souls!" gets a big WTF? from me.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
They do it for gameplay reasons, but it kind of ruins immersion. :argh:

The main thing which breaks immersion is the combat. On the highest difficulty some mobs take 10+ hits.

Now, I don't know about you but this is retarded and most big fights turn into attrition runs.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
according to fextralife the game is more like nu-TombRaider and less like Dark Souls

I haven't played Sekiro so maybe that's a better comparison, but the pushing against Dark Souls comparisons baffles me. It has the same flask system, the same save point/respawn system, the same focus on dodge and parry melee, the same 3D Metroid style level design, the same optional tough enemies guard cool shit design, etc. etc. It also has some platforming and puzzles like modern Tomb Raider, so it's kind of a mix of the two, but anyone saying "it's not like Dark Souls!" gets a big WTF? from me.

Because the game main focus in exploration and secondary combat. Basically most of the time will be spent on environmental puzzles like in Tomb Raider.

Also the combat is nowhere near Dark Soul's fluidity: you get stunlocks, movement and controls are weird, low synergy between force powers and the lightsaber, in fact the lightsaber is very ineffective -> combat looks like chopping wood, spastic mobs which don't damage themselves and other things.

Yes, they took many elements from Dark Souls but they failed to implement great combat or not up to the standard of Dark Souls. This is no Sekiro.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yes, they took many elements from Dark Souls but they failed to implement great combat or not up to the standard of Dark Souls.

Subjective quality assessments have little to do with what TYPE of game it is. It's Dark Souls mixed with Tomb Raider, objectively. Whether it's as good as either of those is another matter.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Yes, they took many elements from Dark Souls but they failed to implement great combat or not up to the standard of Dark Souls.

Subjective quality assessments have little to do with what TYPE of game it is. It's Dark Souls mixed with Tomb Raider, objectively. Whether it's as good as either of those is another matter.

It's Tomb Raider mixed with Dark Souls. Fight me :)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think this game is probably good for fans of this genre, but man it's example 9,001 of why I need to not buy games like this. It's not my genre, and I end up getting bored really quickly. It's not even like the game did anything wrong, I'm just like "okay, this is neat, but I could be replaying Thief or finally getting around to Underrail." Stick to your genres kids, that's why you have hundreds of unfinished games in your Steam library, you're buying shit you don't actually enjoy that much.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Another one of these modern games which looks like everything is made of play-doh. Eh.

serveimage

:negative:

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
I'm about 14 to 15 hours in and spending all of my free time playing the game.

:shredder:

Having a blast despite all of the game's quirks and problems. Today's highlights were

finding the double-sided lightsaber, driving an AT-AT, killing some bounty hunters and fighting in an arena on a space station. :D

Captain Flint

Literate
Legit disappointed the Second Sister wasn't Barriss Offee as people theorized - her actual backstory in the game is bugfuck stupid, and it spoiled the whole character for me.

Drakron

Arcane
Ewwww I just skimmed through some vids and found out the Second Sister is a fugly, hooknosed Indian.

This is why female baddies are only hot with their helmets kept on.

Second sister is not waifu, Nighsister is and God is she waifu.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Been playing it over the weekend. I suck at souls like combat, so it's been tough for me. I have been enjoying the mishmash of different games in this title. It's a crafted experience that seems to have been created by someone with vision, versus a designed-by-committee games that are so common these days. Also, can definitely feel MCA's touch, except for in CGA cutscenes, those are mainly disney shit.

orcinator

Liturgist
Wait, this has Avellone writing for this?
You'd think he'd realize attaching his name to yet another poorly written game might make people realize he's just selling his name and not his writing skills.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, this has Avellone writing for this?
You'd think he'd realize attaching his name to yet another poorly written game might make people realize he's just selling his name and not his writing skills.

I don't think there's a lot of people who'd buy this game just because MCA is writing for it. Or at least not enough buyers to make a difference for a mainstream AAA action game. I think it's more for him to pay the bills and in that case, he might prefer to work on an universe he might appreciate

Drakron

Arcane
From what I seen (YT montage) the story isnt bad, its functional and it does good work with the characters that for most part arent cardbox and do have struggles and inner conflicts without going overboard with then that makes superior to the new Disney Star Wars, not a high bar but the previous entry (BF2) didnt even pass that bar ... I am not going to say its great and parts are entirely predictable (oh noes, who could had guessed who the Second Sister was ... oh noes, she was telling the truth about her former master) but it is entirely logical for most part without large leaps of logic (even if at start you might wonder about the timeline but that is answered and it does fall into place more or less) and doesnt fall apart, cast is solid despite the ... well ... "curious" notion of modeling a certain character after her voice actress, I am sorry but damn ... uncanny valley and at times I was wondering if I wasnt seeing a incredible racist caricature considering the 9/10 male protagonist and his perfect hair.

I guess MCA influence can be seen when it goes about the Dark Side since its not "oh noes, I saw Aayla Secura nipples and pinched a tent, I am now Darth Penius" were it kinda points out its *not* entirely a one way trip that I welcome since its kinda my stand on the thing, OT too considering Vader decision at the end.

Oh and talking about Vader, also very well done that part ...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom