Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Origins is ten years old today

Vatnik Wumao
If they explore Tevinter they can finally make it interesting again, though.

That and keep the mage rulers with slaves aspect, and really explore that in a mature way with faction dynamics. That shit would get me interested, despite how bland and MMO-like Inquisition was.
Eh, the chances of them pulling it off are (very) slim to none, lad. Don't expect too much out of today's BioWare.

Theldaran

Liturgist
IMO as some of you fully agree there has been ongoing decline since Black Isle days (for some since Gold Box games), and as DA:O happened halfway down the line, it was a mixed bag. Gaider still hadn't gone full derp, but he had limitations to begin with. To expect something great now is folly. Better take haven with Disco Elysium and the like. Russia will usher in a new Age of Enlightenment. YPA!

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
derp roads. jesus harold christ the derp roads.
This.

Played this game once but never finished it. After the Deep Roads segment I just couldn't find the willpower to continue. I had some fun with it, but overall it felt too much like an offline mmo game - too uninteractive and way too much filler combat.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Doesn't the Blight only happens every 100 years? or is that only for a location?
No? Don't remember anything in the games ever saying that, and there's nothing about it on the wiki either.

Yeah, I think there was something like the spawn reaching critical mass and producing an Archdemon every now and then.

In the time when the game happens -the Dragon Age- there hasn't been an Archdemon for quite some time, allowing for the races to settle and humans to grow.

I suppose too that the Dragon Age label was a hand-me-down from a project that started circa 2004 (I remember seeing the famous screenshots) and was gonna revolve around a land ruled by dragons or something. Hence, Dragon Age. It was gonna be probably more interesting than this Game of Thrones wannabe. Damn GRR Martin twice.

Out of some wiki:

"A Blight begins when the darkspawn find and taint an Old God, who then unites them into a great horde and unleashes them onto the surface in a wave of darkness and destruction. The Archdemon is their leader, and a Blight will not end until the Archdemon that started it is destroyed.[6]"

"Prior to the beginning of the Dragon Age there had been four previous Blights, each led by an Archdemon, Dumat, Zazikel, Toth and Andoral, respectively."

https://dragonage.fandom.com/wiki/Archdemon

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
I didn't read any of the lore on my first playthrough of DA:O. Second playthrough I read all of it (first time round I was working more hours, so wanted a quick run through. I knew how these things worked & was half expecting to have to restart after 15 or so hours, but didn't, so just continued the simple run on normal difficulty)

That's one of the things which made it so great. You didn't need to go around reading everything. The story stood up by itself, so people who like things simpler can ease themselves in and still enjoy it

Theldaran

Liturgist
But I posted it? I edited my post. Don't be so down about the rating.
But you didn't. There's nothing in that quote that says a Blight can only happen after 100 years.

Not exactly 100 years, but I think you can easily deduct that since there have been 4 different Blights prior to the one in the game, they happen at intervals.

The actual amount of time doesn't matter. I was talking hypothetically about what would have been of the franchise if every game was about a different Blight and the storyline jumped more time.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Or not. See, the barkeep is charging soldiers for beer. And groping his waitress. You can confront him and threaten him. If you repeat the threat after he shows fear and backs down, he will run from the bar squealing in terror. At which point you unsheathe a dagger and throw it into his back, causing him to flop to the floor, dead.

The barmaid takes over the business, and gives free stuff when you visit later.

Vatnik Wumao
Blights happen whenever Darkspawn stumble upon the dragons buried deep within the Deep Roads and corrupt 'em. There's no set amount of time.

cw8

Cipher
Divided about DAO. Had some great moments with the game, but at the same time I can't remember the other half of the game that much. It was touted as Baldur's Gate 2 successor and I can respect that. And then 2018 came and gave us Pathfinder Kingmaker which I felt was much more the spiritual successor to BG2.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's definitely not every 100 years, here's the article. You can see when the blights happened. I'm not exactly sure why the dwarves don't mount an effort to find one of the two remaining dragons now tbh. Perhaps the resources are too great to expend.

The Grey Wardens actually know where they are. It's in the Notes section.

Vatnik Wumao
It's definitely not every 100 years, here's the article. You can see when the blights happened. I'm not exactly sure why the dwarves don't mount an effort to find one of the two remaining dragons now tbh. Perhaps the resources are too great to expend.
It's not like they don't have enough trouble keeping them out of their own thaig, so good luck searching a measureless area full of dangers for dragons to kill.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Why would they kill them? Aren't they sentient beings? They could explain to them the plans of the darkspawn and gain a valuable ally. I edited it now, but the Grey Wardens know where the other 2 dragons are, sooo.

Last edited:

Theldaran

Liturgist
Didn't look to me that the dwarves were very collaborative with the Wardens however.

Vatnik Wumao
Why would they kill them? Aren't their sentient beings? They could explain to them the plans of the darkspawn and gain a valuable ally.
Now I understand why you are such a womyn's advocate. Should get your T levels checked.

That aside, the Grey Wardens might know, but not the dwarves (as far as I'm aware of). And the same problem applies since to reach them you'd have to field a lot of soldiers and have them go through treacherous terrain full of darkspawns and other hostile beings.

As for the dragons, we don't even know what they are exactly, whether they're malevolent or not and how strong they are exactly (for all we know their transformation into archdemons might dumb them down and actually make them much weaker).

Lacrymas

Arcane
My testosterone levels are great, thanks for asking.

There could be a unified effort to get to the dragons, since they pose an obvious and irrefutable threat. I'd figure the dragons wouldn't be very into the idea of being corrupted and used as puppets. They might also kill them to prevent other blights.

Vatnik Wumao
There could be an unified effort, but there is not. And dwarves by themselves do not seem to posses enough free manpower as to embark on such expeditions.

And the problem is that even if they gather the human (dwarven as it were) resources, you still do not know how powerful the dragons actually are. For the dwarves it's best to defend their own territory and if a Blight happens, so be it - at least a part of the Darkspawns will fuck off to the surface and not bother them.

Xeon

Augur
So blights are limited, right? since the Gray Wardens know where all the old gods are imprisoned, does that mean if all of the old gods imprisoned get corrupted then there will be no more blights? or new ones are created or something?

In DAI, there was a Deep Road DLC iirc, it was pretty good, there were Titans or something that were huge golems like, much bigger than Shale.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Why would they kill them? Aren't their sentient beings? They could explain to them the plans of the darkspawn and gain a valuable ally.
Now I understand why you are such a womyn's advocate. Should get your T levels checked.

Dude, haven't you considered they may be a girl? That would explain both the T and the advocate thing.

Oh, forgot about the DLCs. Another thing that goes in detriment of the franchise. Back in 2009 we already had them.

Vatnik Wumao
So blights are limited, right? since the Gray Wardens know where all the old gods are imprisoned, does that mean if all of the old gods imprisoned get corrupted then there will be no more blights?
Presumably yes.

Dude, haven't you considered they may be a girl? That would explain both the T and the advocate thing.
Nah, were he a girl, he'd end up in hysterics sooner. He's just an emasculated autistic male that read a few books on critical theory and now he's out to prophetisize on the 'dex.

Vatnik Wumao
Don't have the time in the day, lad. You do you, though; (un)holy fools and would-be prophets have their place in the world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom