Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pokemon Sword and Shield

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Never

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
They should make the "switch/set" choice more obvious, it's in the options screen alongside stuff like dialogue box borders and text speed and makes a world of difference without going overboard with difficulty for the kiddos.
I've played with it on "set" for years, reasoning it's more authentic to the "role-playing" aspect. In a duel of any type your opponent wouldn't pre-emptively declare what they were going to do and then ask if you'd like to try countering it, they'd just make their move.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I've played with it on "set" for years, reasoning it's more authentic to the "role-playing" aspect. In a duel of any type your opponent wouldn't pre-emptively declare what they were going to do and then ask if you'd like to try countering it, they'd just make their move.

That, and your opponent never switches Pokémon before you send out yours. So it's about being on an even playing field. Same reason why I never use items in battle. It's weird how unfair Pokémon is to the enemy, because there's a lot of depth to be exploited.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Same reason why I never use items in battle.
Opponents certainly have the capability to use items in battle. Been there since Generation I. You won't often see it (or Pokemon switching in any capacity, much less in response to a switch of your own) outside of special opponents. Think the Elite 4, your Rival, the Champion, etc. Why, did they gimp the fuck outta the AI too, at some point?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Same reason why I never use items in battle.
Opponents certainly have the capability to use items in battle. Been there since Generation I. You won't often see it (or Pokemon switching in any capacity, much less in response to a switch of your own) outside of special opponents. Think the Elite 4, your Rival, the Champion, etc. Why, did they gimp the fuck outta the AI too, at some point?

For the Elite Four I carry Full Restores, but only use them after they use them (and always on my current Pokémon, just like they do).
GameFreak is really lazy. Pokémon could be so much harder with a few balance tweaks here and there. Case in point: the player is swimming in so much cash by the end of the games that he would be retarded not to buy dozens of Full Restores, trivializing the Elite Four. That's what I used to do as a kid.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In fact, compared to previous Pokemon games, they look fantastic – and there’s no sign of the framerate stutter that was so common on the 3DS during battles. Some of the new unique attack animations are really damn cool (Nintendo doesn’t want us to talk about them in detail quite yet, but take my word for it). They really stand out against some of the older moves, which can be stiff and plain.
https://nordic.ign.com/pokemon-sword-nintendo-switch/31215/review/pokemon-sword-and-shield-review

Well at least they added a handful of much needed QoL tweaks, but knowing Game Freak, they always go back and forth with these things. (e.g. the one-push-to-go online button from the six gen is back, instead of being teleported to a shitty round plaza like in Su/Mo)

In regards of the attack animations, I assume those received the same treatment as the 3D models: a ton of recycled shit, with only the new and popular moves such as earthquake or close-combat having new flashy revamps, whereas filler moves such as Double Kick becomes a reminder that you might as well be better off deactivating battle animations in options.

It looks like the story is gonna be as vapid as usual, with an inane villain organization obsessed with beauty/strength/existence/whatever,etc. which always ends up involving a legendary raising the stakes to cosmic proportions, and your avatar going in an autistic trip teaching others the value of trust and friendship™ by showing only one emotion as It goes pitting its mons against anything that moves.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
In fact, compared to previous Pokemon games, they look fantastic – and there’s no sign of the framerate stutter that was so common on the 3DS during battles. Some of the new unique attack animations are really damn cool (Nintendo doesn’t want us to talk about them in detail quite yet, but take my word for it). They really stand out against some of the older moves, which can be stiff and plain.
https://nordic.ign.com/pokemon-sword-nintendo-switch/31215/review/pokemon-sword-and-shield-review

It's an RPG... and I get it, I really do. But this looks so fucking boring, the static animations make this look even MORE static than having static sprites. I would simply go back to animated (yet static) sprites. Anything else requires too much work because of GameFreak's retarded idea to have 1000 Pokémon.

The revived fossils being fucked up because the scientists mixed them up during the cloning process is pretty funny in a dark way already, but what seals the deal are the bullshit pokedex entries.

x7jdggqrdpy31.jpg

74442893_774494753017262_7065303145882655124_n.jpg

GmQQN1q.png

^a possible solution

edit: I found a, uh, different interpretation.

https://www.deviantart.com/sst-laboratories/art/Dracovish-Desires-Death-819731748

ddk1p2c-44723b84-b8ff-4d23-a8be-5b430ffef2b5.png

I love Pokémon fusions. I love obscure prehistoric animals.
I never fucking asked for this.

Pokemon has been grim since Gen 1 but this is something else entirely. What the fuck? No seriously, what the fuck? Who fucking thought this was okay? Is it supposed to be a metaphor for the game itself, maybe? Whose fucking idea was this?

It's not a good satire of early paleontology. The concept is there but the execution is not. It's not a bad design, since it's pretty hard to impale a head on a spike and call it a Pokemon, but holy shit, fuck the person who made this. It's not funny or spooky like past creatures—it's just downright cruel. There's plenty of disturbing Pokémon, and the fossil ones have never been particularly accurate—but these are fucking clueless. It's mean-spirited. The only thing that would get me to buy the game at this point is if it would let me blast this poor thing's brains out with an elephant gun. Jesus fucking Christ.

:shredder:

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
One thing that annoyed the shit out of me in Ultra was how long it takes for a battle to start and end compared to the length of the battle itself. When most trainers you meet have only 1 pokemon, and if you knock them out in 1 move the fight takes 10 seconds but all the animations and screen transitions take like 40 seconds total (and that's with move animatinos off).

They should make the "switch/set" choice more obvious,
I never liked that option, I feel like it's making the game harder in a really dumb way. Instead they should have an option so that the game doesn't tell you what pokemon your opponent will use next while still being able to switch at the same time. I always thought that was fucking dumb, why would you know beforehand what they will use?

Vorark

Erudite
It's an RPG... and I get it, I really do. But this looks so fucking boring, the static animations make this look even MORE static than having static sprites. I would simply go back to animated (yet static) sprites. Anything else requires too much work because of GameFreak's retarded idea to have 1000 Pokémon.

Agreed, Crystal and Black/White got it right.

One thing that annoyed the shit out of me in Ultra was how long it takes for a battle to start and end compared to the length of the battle itself. When most trainers you meet have only 1 pokemon, and if you knock them out in 1 move the fight takes 10 seconds but all the animations and screen transitions take like 40 seconds total (and that's with move animatinos off).

The BW games highly improved the speed, was just as lightning fast as the GB/GBC titles were. No wonder BW was the last good entry.

Gerrard

Arcane
Maybe, but the BW games did not remove HMs, and I can't fucking believe it took 10 years since gen 4, which is the last that I played, to do that. Jesus Christ.

Also, people complaining about the animations when most disable them anyway is pretty pathetic.

Vorark

Erudite
Yeah but HM usage was lessened, at least I remember never bothering to have the usual HM slave poke.

lightbane

Arcane
The revived fossils being fucked up because the scientists mixed them up during the cloning process is pretty funny in a dark way already, but what seals the deal are the bullshit pokedex entries.

Is that the pokemon edition of a Platypus then?

lightbane

Arcane
That one is totes a duck, and actually useful to boot, even though it has the quirk of having psychic techniques while not being psychic itself, for good and bad.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I just reset the game 46 times for a female Adamant Scorbunny. Problem is I wanted Jolly but can't complain about what I got.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Why are you resetting when you can change natures with items now
Laziness/boomer convenience. The nature mint or whatever it is stops working if you put it in a box and take it back out, which I imagine I'll be doing often to play with different teams for in-game/Battle Maison/VGC, etc.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So I've been watching someone stream this, and it seems like some moves just don't use the attack animations for some reason, even when the pokemon has them? Like I saw a pokemon with a cool karate chop animation, and another different one for it's buff, but when it used double hit or whatever the fuck it was it just did that stupid hop thing instead. Seems like either a bug, or something they did with multi hit moves so they don't take too long to use?

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

This game doesn't even have the 1k roster.
It wouldn't take much to remove the static feeling shown in those videos to boot, you don't need intricate animations to make the scene come alive, look at what SMT Nocturne did, from the game series that pioneered the idea of collecting things in the first place :

Nocturne had close to 200 demons. That's half of the roster of pokemons in shield. I'd think a company that sells 16 million copies of a game (stats for the previous entry) can afford to put more of an.. effort.

I had fun as a youngun playing the original GB pokemon against other people IRL but that series has never really improved with gamefreak just rehashing the same thing over and over even harder than Activision does the Call of Booty.

Last edited:

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant

This game doesn't even have the 1k roster.
It wouldn't take much to remove the static feeling shown in those videos to boot, you don't need intricate animations to make the scene come alive, look at what SMT Nocturne did, from the game series that pioneered the idea of collecting things in the first place :

Nocturne had close to 200 demons. That's half of the roster of pokemons in shield. I'd think a company that sells 16 million copies of a game (stats for the previous entry) can afford to put more of an.. effort.

I had fun as a youngun playing the original GB pokemon against other people IRL but that series has never really improved with gamefreak just rehashing the same thing over and over even harder than Activision does the Call of Booty.

I honestly think they ran out of ideas or motivation ages ago. It's actually rather amusing to speculate: are they truly unaware of their mediocrity, or is deliberately tanking the series their only option because people literally will not stop giving them money for phoning it in?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Nocturne had close to 200 demons.
Oh come on, you know half of those are pallete swaps and most of the rest are either sharing a skeleton with something else or are barely animated to begin with.

Near as I can tell, each of the pokemon have 2 different pretty decent animations (i.e. not flicking a single hand or spinning the whole model while barely moving like the SMT animations) while fighting for generic moves, another one for their iconic move, animations for being injured and fainting etc., and a bunch of ancilliary animations outside of battle for the various minigames and such. Then they also have a giant form. There are an ungodly amount of hours spent on animating these games.

And yeah, they could afford to do some crazy shenmue budget game with a special cartirdge to fit even more shit in, but arguing that it's not the most polished game of it's type is facetious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom