Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (AKA AoE2 HD HD)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Buahahahahahaha fuck me sideways,i just noticed,AOE2 went full on faggot :).

ADNUIF2.png

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Ok I bought this and finally had time to play it and it seems good enough if the promised modding tools are released. They changed the main menu music to just be a slower version of the original with more instruments and all it does is sound pretentious. More instruments playing a classic tune doesn't make it any better. The whole sound track is remixed and sounds similar with the theme of just having unmatching additions and more instruments.

The game stands up performance wise on my modest FX6300 and RX550 at 768p with the zoom still being useful and zooming offering a wide enough view. The game launches sluggishly though and feels slower in loading everything. I did get a few dips but in a 1 hour game on the in game timer (real life 45min?), I only had one instance of framerate dipping and that was at the very start. Framerate seemed to hover around 40-68 as per steam but this was just a 1v1 arabia game and I was just taking a look at the buildings and units.

All units are redesigned and look less distinctive from each other than in the original game but are different enough to recognise at a glance once you get used to them. The Byzantine Cataphract though looks generic as hell compared to earlier so RIP my homeciv. The new building sets are great and I can imagine this would make a great city builder once full modding support comes out.

I was planning to play more but the game doesn't remember standard game settings and I started my game on easiest, which meant the AI didn't do anything. I'll be back soon in regards to actual gameplay / unit control later but for the time being it seems good. There is no lag or delay in issuing orders and there's nothing that sticks out as being bad.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
OK mistake in my post on the last stage, Kesiks are melee cav not cav archers. There's a graphics benchmark you must do before being allowed to play ranked multiplayer and lo and behold my score : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1916350738 Need 1000 and I scored only 600. Game recommends to lower settings but even with advanced options shown as in the screenshot, there are no more options to reduce :/

Game has 4 speed levels : Slow, Casual, Normal and Fast. As someone used to normal speed on old AoE2, normal here feels much faster than it did there. Everything seems faster from creating vills to making houses to aging up.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

So I was writing a post about how fucked up your desktop is and noticed that you have Kings Bounty 3 icon? Are you memeing with me or you are betatesting it?
Nah i just renamed the third game that way. It is something about north. Also the one upcoming is kings bounty 2 ,hard to beta taste something that is yet to begin being made :).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are the paladins still insanely overpowered?

If you only consider raw strength and not the millions of counters they have, sure.

One thing I didn't realise about DE, they seem to have gone through and improved a lot of the campaigns that were added in Forgotten Empires. Lots of the FE campaigns have new missions and content.

They also tidied up some of the less polished missions.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Are the paladins still insanely overpowered?

If you only consider raw strength and not the millions of counters they have, sure.

One thing I didn't realise about DE, they seem to have gone through and improved a lot of the campaigns that were added in Forgotten Empires. Lots of the FE campaigns have new missions and content.

They also tidied up some of the less polished missions.
Yes,i am just playing the dracula missions and it is a blast. They did improved the FE campaigns a lot. Didn't expect that. Dracula is gud,got my ass handed on the third mission,had to go on full navy :).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So as someone who already owns AOE2HD,is the DE worth it? Or should I wait for sale?

If you enjoy the campaigns, I think it's definitely worth it. The FE campaigns are heavily improved.

Other changes are nice but whether they justify the purchase depends on the individual. Some people think auto net/farm rebuilding are worth it alone.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So as someone who already owns AOE2HD,is the DE worth it? Or should I wait for sale?
Ahhh it is not a butchered remake,but they did fuck up some things. The soundtrack is pretty shit,there are some retardations like not being able to stop a units that is already in to making,thus you could get fucked when you try to research an upgrade but there is a unit stopped by the pop limit. Also they fucked up trebuchets,they unpack if the you click to attack a target outside of their range,it is very annoying and i didn't find a way to disable it. Also shift building is fucked up too. Another negative is the unit models,they went for realism and now every single horsemen look the same more or less. Oh also they lowered the max speed up to 2x from 8X,some games could end up too fucking long because of it,it is a decline.
On the positive side...well it looks good,there is more campaign and even fixed the mess the forgotten was,some balancing,active multi community from the looks of it. Generally it is more of aoe2,if you want more single aoe2,then sure go for it,i am having a good time since release. If you are not that hungry for more campaigns or don't care about multi, and just want to play some skirmish,well then wait for a sell while playing HD.

Generally,it is a good game. I am curious about aoe4.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Buahahahahahaha fuck me sideways,i just noticed,AOE2 went full on faggot :).

ADNUIF2.png

Good music selection my man

(but why the fuck they on desktop)
Hahahaha it is not,that is just the playlists lol. I use them for fast change,don't have time to waste to go and search for different music in the back end of my hard ;). Those are just some of my regular playlists.

I have like 200 gigs of mp3 in between the partitions lol. The things on my desktop are things i use regularly or remainders.
ZGxXcBA.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL they made Aleric in to a downtrodden hero that wanted only peace and a fighter for justice while the romans in to evil racists :lol::lol::lol::lol:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well it is cheaper than VPN and you could access a region locked sites.

What, no visits to the Dark Net? How else do you get drugs and weapons and stuff???
By going across the street lol. I also do poke the deep and dark web from time to time,but most "deals" there just scams.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom