Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Anyway, it's pretty clear to me what the new trend will be. Some egghead at the top went, "So, why did this set sell and this one didn't?" "Oh, that set had X and Y, two cards that people really wanted." "Right, so our new trend will be, every set will contain one or two broken chase rares. Fuck the metagame and fuck the players, we exist for our shareholders."

Might be time to stop playing all along. Oko in 70% of the decks at the mythic championship? And every deck playing Oko hate cards maindeck? Yeah that sounds like fun.

Someone wants to buy an account with stuff from beta?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Why dont you calm down and wait for 4 more days? Im pretty sure Oko will be dealt with in the next B&R announcement

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Anyway, it's pretty clear to me what the new trend will be. Some egghead at the top went, "So, why did this set sell and this one didn't?" "Oh, that set had X and Y, two cards that people really wanted." "Right, so our new trend will be, every set will contain one or two broken chase rares. Fuck the metagame and fuck the players, we exist for our shareholders."

I can give them benefit of the doubt with FoTD, but Oko is so obviously busted just looking at it that there's no way he wasn't intentionally pushed or the designers at WOTC don't really play the game.

And by the decks that they constructed for their "historic" brews, I'm leaning towards them just not playing the game

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yea I like being able to nuke someone for 50 damage

Boy you missed out

mtga004.png

mtga003.png

I got a folder full of these. Every time feels special like the first time.

Also this isn't quite nuking for 50 but I enjoyed this kind of nuking too
mtga009.jpg

Last year. Ah, the good old days.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Might be time to stop playing all along. Oko in 70% of the decks at the mythic championship? And every deck playing Oko hate cards maindeck? Yeah that sounds like fun.

I think MTG has been like that for at least 10 years. :/

I hate supporting them but I have nothing else to play and this really keeps me busy. I am also determined to make a deck that beats all netdecks.

Jason Liang

Arcane

I think MTG has been like that for at least 10 years. :/

I hate supporting them but I have nothing else to play and this really keeps me busy. I am also determined to make a deck that beats all netdecks.
Honestly Oko is not insane like Narset or Karn in terms of broken power potential so I can see why they felt Oko was printable

That being said, I'm looking foward to Improvising with Food

Honestly the worst part for me is that now everyone is on the blue green bandwagon when I've known for over a decade u/g is insane.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think Oko is a bit insane. It is a PW so removal is harder than a creature, also producing food and the 3/3 every other turn is not too bad, but being able to ruin a huge legendary creature by turning it into a 3/3 is too much imo. Also it is 3 mana which is too low, and by itself it isn't too bad, but in a deck with Nissa and Questing Beast, it is just too much. Or at least... I was handling it just fine until the past week or two when people have started putting blue in the deck to add counterspells. When those powerful cards are coming out and I can't even board wipe or Murderous Rider them or whatever because I get countered... that's pretty brutal.

But personally I have a bigger problem with Torbran and Embercleave, I think those cards are stupid. I also don't like the creatures that can't be killed or even exiled, the eternal creatures and the colossus. But generally I don't like super powerful cards. I like battles that last a while and people get to do their thing, the decks that end the game in 4 turns just seem like what's the point... Why even play! If someone wants fast paced dopamine shots it would better to play a FPS or something. MTG is more suited to complex tactical battles.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Well Murderous Rider is a poor card in general right now because of Veil of Summer

Magic has never been that tactical... and creature combat is probably one of the weakest flaws of Magic's basic design

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
COME PLAY ELDRAINE DRAFT!!!
PICK THE CARDS YOU ARE GOING TO WATCH GO DIRECTLY TO THE GRAVEYARD!
NON INTERACTION IS FUN!

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Why dont you calm down and wait for 4 more days? Im pretty sure Oko will be dealt with in the next B&R announcement
because oko or not, draft will still be shit, and that's the mode i want to play really...

I agree. Luckily my Guilds of Ravnica collection is still a bit patchy and currently GRN ranked draft is online.

It is one of my favorite draft formats on Arena.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You guys seen this video where he does over 15 million damage? :)

I thought he was a tool when I first saw him with his diamond earring and whatnot, but he is actually pretty funny and he makes some awesome decks. I've been really tempted to make a Mirror deck but it seems a bit unreliable. Winning with 15m damage would be super fun but losing against a cavalcade deck or something pisses me off too much.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Anyone wanna help me with a list of most vital cards to Ego if you have one? Not that I often get to do it in time :/ But sometimes it is a glorious cockblock.

Red/Blue deck drawing a lot of cards:
Thousand-Year Storm / Improbable Alliance

Green deck that starts with Gilded Goose:
Oko / Nissa / Quested Beast

Lucky Clover deck
Reaper of Night / Clover itself if only one in play / Murderous Rider if you have a lot of big creatures or PWs / Smitten Swordmaster is his finisher I guess

Mono blue counterspells
Brineborn Cutthroat / Mystical Dispute / Quench / Essence Capture if you use a lot of creatures

Cat bakery
Witch's Oven if none in play yet / Cauldron Familiar / Mayhem Devil

Artifacts
Emry, Lurker of the Loch / Steel Overseer / All That Glitters / Gingerbrute

Mono red
Torbran / Cavalcade / Embercleave / Chandra, Acolyte of Flame

spectre

Arcane
You should spare yourself some of the guesswork and run 6-8 peek effects - Duress, Erasure, Sorcerous Spyglass. Sometimes it can be difficult to distinguish between the more exotic shit people play
(I once named Teferi vs. a deck which looked like a mana screwed esper, turned out to be a non-blue Outlaws Merriment).

Is mono blue counterspells even a thing? If so, I wouldn't go for the counterspells, but its win conditions and card advantage engines.
For UG Flash, you want to remove Nightpack Ambusher because it's the main win condition. Give it a quick browse as you neuter the wolf,
sometimes the secondary wincon is Cuttroat, other times it is Wildborn Preserver. Can be both. Also, some faggots started to run Oko.
Once you take out the main and secondary wincon, the rest is pretty benign.

Lucky Clover gets a lot of mileage out of Edgevall Inkeeper, though not sure if its feasible to Ego it, because it's most valuable when dropped early and you should have removal for it.

For Fires of Invention, removing the titular card might force a concession, depending if the pilot is comfortable running the deck without it. As you browse the list, make note of the win conditions.
It's a bit trickier if the Fires have already landed, Fae isn't a terrible idea cause the wincons are usually distributed between Kenriths, Sarkans and Chandras, some might be tucked into the sideboard, see what you can punish best as you browse the deck.
There's the Cavalier variant as well, in this case you still start with Fires, then I believe Cavalier of Flame is the more dangerous one.

When it comes to aggro in general, I think Ego is weak here. You lose tempo and the shit that's killing you is already on the board.
The priority play is to wipe the board reliably on turn 4-5, so if you want to Ego something, I think I'd start with shit they didn't play yet that can still finish you off afterwards.
E.g. a topdecked Torbran gives you an entire turn to react, and Cavalcade does nothing without a creature. On the othe hand, Slaying Fire immediately hits you for four which can be more threatening.

Yeah, Questing Beast is probably the most annoying thing in green-based aggro.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah my deck has 5 discards so I can usually see what they have, but sometimes if they have a slow start you gotta guess. But I only use 1 ego which I have to fetch with 1 fae, so it is rare that I even do it. Mostly I win in other ways. Although that 1 fae to fetch a perfect card has saved me several times. I used ego a few times, usually I fetch The Elderspell to kill a bunch of PWs which is game over if I can play Liliana first, then instantly ult and kill all their land. One time I got Leyline of the Void which shuts down the cat baking deck, but Ethereal Absolution is better in most cases.

I've tried so many decks this past week since I bought a lot of cards. I really like black blue white, it maybe isn't the strongest but it is the most fun for me to play. It got me back up to Platinum 3 again. Fires generally beats me though :/ I think Dimir is good if you make it more of a control deck. I tried a dimir deck that was really bad. I wanted to self mill, reanimate agent of treachery to steal stuff early, and then use Jace to finish milling myself and win, but I just couldn't get it to work. I won like 2 out of 7. Control decks could easily shut me down or counter my Blood For Bones or Cauldron and then I have nothing. And aggro decks just walked all over my while I was wasting turns milling myself. Even a bunch of discard didn't help. I think dimir would be good as more control though, especially with brazen and some counters.

I'm still trying to work out what I wanna make. I have lots of wildcards but I don't want to waste them on something I end up not liking or that doesn't win a lot. I could just make a torbran + embercleave deck and know it will win like 80% of matches. But the artifacts deck looks strong, the one that uses Steel Overseer to keep pumping all your creatures. The problem is I never see him play against people with board wipes. I think my deck would beat it easily, although it would probably win more than mine in total. The raze boar deck looks super strong but a bit slow. The fires deck seems strong but it requires a lot of rares and seems kinda boring. I thought it was really fun at first, being able to play with lots of PWs, but now that it has become focused on just winning fast with Sarkhan or Bolas + Celebration, it seems boring. I'll find one eventually -.- I am also tempted by a Divine Visitation deck which looks so janky and cutesy but it actually kicked my ass easily. I had a massive upperhand, all he had in play was Divine Visitation, and I played an Agent to steal it, and on the same turn he just used Raise the Alarm.... comes out as two 4/4 flying creatures. Hit me for 8 next turn and I only had a removal for 1 of them :/ Lost next turn. I think that deck with a lot of removal and Dawn of Hope could work. But I don't wanna waste my rares on it yet.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yussssssssssss I just had my most satisfying win ever :) Pretty lucky but a win is a win... Opponent was black green, he got me down to 2 life, he had questing beast and the wolf that sacs a food to become invincible. Turn 12 I got my fae of wishes, I wished for Finale of Eternity. All I had in play was a Teferi but it let me play it on his turn. I played it with 12 mana, it killed all his creatures and brought back from the graveyard my agent, murderous rider and thief of sanity :D Stole his only good land. He conceded. My heart was pumping.

Slowly turning into Dawkins, been playing Azorious control. Only a matter of time until I buy pony sleeves. Haven't been doing anything too alarming though, just instant speed finale of glory for a billion serra angel tokens. Did play some Boros last night since I had a quest for it and even though my opponent had turn 3 wicked wolf, turn 4 wicked wolf, turn 5 nightpack ambusher turn 6 Tolsimir it wasn't enough to survive against Aurelia with an embercleave which was fun.

Real question is if I want to preemptively craft some potentially bannable shit. Pulled 3 Oko from packs so I probably should craft a fourth (Since even if he's not banned he's obscene enough I'll probably have to bite the bullet and play him more), but they might also try to ban some other food related cards just so they can keep Oko unbanned because they're monsters. Like wicked wolf and goose of paradise. I'd think they'll ban Oko but paranoia and all. Not really a huge deal since I probably won't be big on playing historic, but if they manage to un-fuck it maybe I will and it doesn't really hurt to try to scoop up playsets of shit like field and Oko when they're "Free".

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
What's your winrate like with azorious control? I tried the artifacts deck and it was totally shit. If you play against someone with a shit deck then you can eventually pump your creatures into massive juggernauts but any control deck will just board wipe you long before that, and any decent aggro deck will attack so hard and fast that you end up having to lose all your shitty little creatures to defend. In my first game, literally every Steel Overseer I played got instantly hit with Conclave, and without that card the deck is worthless.

I then tried remaking it as UB and using a bunch of deathtouch creatures which was slightly better but still no good. It doesn't matter if you have a good deathtouch blocker if the enemy has a bunch of 20/20s with trample. I don't get why people hype decks like that :/ Just doesn't work in the real world. At least it didn't cost me anything, I had most of the rares. I tried a mono blue deck too which also seemed to suck. Against a control deck it is good because you can counter their spell each turn. But against an aggro deck they are playing multiple cards each turn from turn 2 onwards, so the counterspells are pointless and there are no board wipes or removal and even the blockers suck. It seems to only really work if you get to go first and if you get the creature out first and then pump it with counterspells. But generally it sucks.

What's your winrate like with azorious control?
Haven't the foggiest idea, never use deck trackers or anything. I assume it's over 50% since I've been slowly climbing but I'm not skyrocketing or anything. I shifted gears into playing some simic flash just because I'm enjoying being an asshole, and that's making me want to finally bite the bullet and craft some borrowers. They'd probably go well in the azorious deck too. It also probably would work a lot better as BO3 deck since control usually benefits more from being able to sideboard, but most of the time I'm a lazy BO1 shitter since I like letting my eyes glaze over.

Deck
4 Opt (ELD) 59
5 Island (ANA) 62
3 Quench (RNA) 48
1 Tale's End (M20) 77
1 Essence Capture (RNA) 37
2 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193
6 Plains (ANA) 61
2 Finale of Glory (WAR) 12
3 Prison Realm (WAR) 26
2 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
2 Absorb (RNA) 151
1 Gadwick, the Wizened (ELD) 48
4 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
4 Time Wipe (WAR) 223
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
3 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Tranquil Cove (M20) 259
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
3 Aether Gust (M20) 42

General plan is survive with wipes/bounces/counters until you have a lot of land, ideally a Teferi, then play finale of glory on endstep so your opponent either can't counter (If Teferi's still alive) or can't board wipe (Since wipes are sorcery speed) then clobber 'em. Another Gadwick or possibly two wouldn't be bad either, but I've only got the one. Tale's end is surprisingly good in almost every matchup, only RDW is a bit of a whiff and it can sometimes catch a Chandra or, worst case, a steamkin activation (Can also be fun to fuck your opponent's land if he plays fabled passage, basically 2cmc land destruction). Aether gust is also almost always a good card, especially since you usually just want to buy yourself some time (And occasionally fuck with your opponent's draw), but you can also use it to get your opponent to recast a walker once you have a counter available. I waffle a lot on the quenches versus mystical dispute. Ramp's so common quench feels questionable to me at times, but it's widely applicable so I still tend to prefer it.

Also just finished off my playsets of Oko and goose of paradise, waiting for the ban announcements tomorrow. Figure those should be safe because if they're banned, fine, and if they aren't banned then they'll be shit I'll want anyway. :bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom