Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remind us what happened with Wii Game Sales after the initial Hype of Wii Sports/Fit subsided and especially third parties found out that you can't sell games for consoles sitting unused somewhere in a Nursing home? (And the console generation afterwards)
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nintendos-profit-falls-52-in-fiscal-half-year-2009-10-29

What I was going to say. Wii sold fast and hard to a bunch of boomers based on a gimmick then basically became a non-player throughout the entire second-half of the 7th gen, and it's attach rate was complete shit - around half of what the 360's was.

Yeah, but Nintendo was already making money just selling the console whereas the Xbox360 and PS3 at first were sold at a loss or not far from it so had to recoup from game sales/royalties. So even if Nintendo didn't make all the Wii buyers into gamers, they racked in a lot of dosh.

Yeah, but Nintendo was already making money just selling the console whereas the Xbox360 and PS3 at first were sold at a loss or not far from it so had to recoup from game sales/royalties. So even if Nintendo didn't make all the Wii buyers into gamers, they racked in a lot of dosh.

They netted short term gains and in return suffered 6-7 years of market irrelevance.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant

They netted short term gains and in return suffered 6-7 years of market irrelevance.
My experience with the Wii single-handedly killed any further interest in Nintendo consoles I had. That was a Benjamin plus down the drain I really wish I had back.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stadia launch games revealed

Google's streaming system will have 12 games at launch and will add 14 more by the end of the year.

vwUYWMxJudV2WawzC2abnM-320-80.jpg

(Image credit: Google)
Google has revealed the games that will be available on Stadia when the system goes live on November 19. The game streaming service will get rolling with 12 "carefully-chosen games" on launch day, and 14 more are expected to be added by the end of 2019.

It's not what I'd call an overwhelmingly impressive list. Odyssey, Destiny 2, and the Tomb Raider games are all blockbusters, but they've also been around for awhile, and the same could be said for RDR2, even though it's new on PC—and, it bears mentioning, is having some issues in the transition. Google has previously confirmed more than 40 games for Stadia and while most won't even be released until sometime next year, I expected more than a dozen for the big kickoff.

The selection will fill out over the balance of the year with these, although specific dates haven't been set yet:

• Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle
  • Borderlands 3
  • Darksiders Genesis
  • Dragonball Xenoverse 2
  • Farming Simulator 19
  • Final Fantasy 15
  • Football Manager 2020
  • Ghost Recon Breakpoint
  • Grid
  • Metro Exodus
  • NBA 2K20
  • Rage 2
  • Trials Rising
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood
Things will get more interesting in 2020 when new games start flowing onto Stadia, including Doom: Eternal, Watch Dogs: Legion, Gods and Monsters, and Cyberpunk 2077. Watch Dogs and Gods and Monsters aren't going to have any immediate impact on Stadia's fortunes, though, as they were delayed in October and won't be out until sometime after April 1, 2020.

Individual game purchase prices on Stadia haven't been revealed, although Google has previously said that it expects they'll be the same price as on other storefronts. Stadia Pro subscribers will receive free games as part of their $10 monthly subscriptions, beginning with Destiny 2: The Collection, and will also get a discount on purchases.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If they launched with all those available for a Disney+ style subscription cost it might be something for the casuals. That short list, with full price purchases only? Super lame effort. Didn't they invest tons of money in this?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not a lot of games, but Ass Creed, Destiny 2 and Red Dead 2 are some of he biggest hitter on PC right now. And they have a fairly high system requirements, so many can't even play them. If they run fairly well on this system, it could be a goldmine.

Garbage

Learned
It will be a goldmine, the casual fuckwits will flock to it.

Not really, what you need to consider is that most casual gamers play where their friends are. Unless everyone moves to Google STD en masse, then it'll be a gimmick picked up by a million people at best.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
I can't tell if this is an underwhelming list of launch games, or an attempt at a limited public beta. I think it's the latter because the technological challenge is really hard, and that's why previous services failed.
Gyst is also the first streaming exclusive game as far as I know, which is really sad from a games preservation point of view. It doesn't include any feature that require it to be streamed, so it really is sad, as the game could be lost in the not so distant future for no real reason.

Last edited:

Whipped Cream

Learned
Patron
They'll flock to one or more of these services eventually, absolutely. Not sure it'll be Google's though.
Microsoft have a lot of competetive advantages over Google. Here's what Microsoft could do to instantly destroy Stadia: During the announcement of the next-gen Xbox, announce that if you are subscribed to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate then for any game on Game Pass and any next-gen Xbox game you own you can switch freely between playing it in one in four ways: 1. Natively on your Xbox, 2. Natively on Windows 10, 3. Stream it on your Xbox through xCloud or 4. Stream it on any Windows 10 or Microsoft Edge-capable device through xCloud. Furthermore you can switch freely between devices and between native or streaming and your save game carries over (but you can't play on two different devices at the same time obviously).

They'd have to bolt shut the windows at Google Stadia's HQ to keep people from jumping.

Of course, Microsoft have a long history of missing open goals and doing stupid shit, so I give them a 50% chance of completely fucking up xCloud just like Google are fucking up Stadia.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm curious to see how this will work out now that the public will actually get its hands on it

baud

Arcane
Patron
It will be a goldmine, the casual fuckwits will flock to it.

Not really, what you need to consider is that most casual gamers play where their friends are. Unless everyone moves to Google STD en masse, then it'll be a gimmick picked up by a million people at best.

It depends on how it's implemented, if all the MP games can have the player on Stadia with those playing on their consoles/PC, it could work. Of course it depends on what Google has decided for that, but for that particular point, it would be dumb not to implement cross-play, as it would remove the chicken-egg issue for MP games (no-one's playing MP games on Stadia, so I won't get that MP game on Stadia, so no-one's playing MP games on Stadia and so on). And of course it's only one particular issue that Google had to solve for STD to be successful.

Modron

Arcane
Willingly playing a streaming multiplayer game, just imagine the latency kek.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They'll flock to one or more of these services eventually, absolutely. Not sure it'll be Google's though.
Microsoft have a lot of competetive advantages over Google. Here's what Microsoft could do to instantly destroy Stadia: During the announcement of the next-gen Xbox, announce that if you are subscribed to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate then for any game on Game Pass and any next-gen Xbox game you own you can switch freely between playing it in one in four ways: 1. Natively on your Xbox, 2. Natively on Windows 10, 3. Stream it on your Xbox through xCloud or 4. Stream it on any Windows 10 or Microsoft Edge-capable device through xCloud. Furthermore you can switch freely between devices and between native or streaming and your save game carries over (but you can't play on two different devices at the same time obviously).

They'd have to bolt shut the windows at Google Stadia's HQ to keep people from jumping.

Of course, Microsoft have a long history of missing open goals and doing stupid shit, so I give them a 50% chance of completely fucking up xCloud just like Google are fucking up Stadia.

MS sets out to do it, xCloud's preview now has more games than Stadia in soft launch: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/11/14/expanding-project-xcloud-more-games-more-ways-to-play/

ProjectxCloud_EAasset_1920x1080_CMYK-preview.jpg

Also it will make use of existing purchases and Game Pass in some form:

We believe in the freedom to play and the freedom to choose. In 2020 we will enable gamers to stream from the cloud Xbox games that they already own or will purchase. We will also add game streaming from the cloud to Xbox Game Pass. Gamers will be free to discover, choose, and play their favorite games anywhere and everywhere.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Then they'll find out about data caps.
That's not really relevant for most of the gaming world. China and Japan don't have data caps, and they are both heavily invested in mobile gaming, for which Stadia is a natural fit. South America has high import fees for electronics, with some horror stories coming out of Brazil, which could be circumnavigated by streaming. As far as I know data caps are only a relevant factor in the US and India. I can't think of another major gaming market that has this problem, though I'm sure that I'm missing some countries.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
MS should get all those games for Gamepass immediately and make them all accessible through Stadia's launch and into the new year. That's what I'd do.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
'Hard to review,' for Pete's sake! Just advise the consumer! If it's 'not good' right now, then it's not good period. Whether they fix it 6 months from now, 2 years from now, whenever, who cares!

So here’s a four-word review on the Premiere Edition in 2019: It’s not worth it. We can’t guarantee it’ll work well with your connection, given the wild variable instability we experienced at The Post even with high-speed broadband capabilities. As reported widely, a host of promised features aren’t available at launch.

There you go, he did it! Good job.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Dont you have 60+ bucks for new AAA game? Why not rent it through streaming service for 1$?
Thanks no! Your industry is shit, your games are shit, your service is shit, you are shit!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom