Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Control - supernatural third person action-adventure from Remedy

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I guess it just wasn't that good.

Mojobeard

Augur
So why was this game forgotten so quickly?
No idea, to be honest, I feel like this is the type of thing that grognards would eat up.
No idea, really?
All the gameplay I've seen looks boring. There's a woman with a pistol walking around a boring looking office building, occasionally there's two enemies and you use your Mass Effect power on them and shoot them with the pistol. Catching Z's just typing that. Maybe that's not what it's like, but this is what everyone has seen and what was marketed. The most boringest, uncoolest thing. It also looks like their earlier game, which no one also cared about.
Secondly, all the videos seem to be about ray tracing. Every mention of the game always talks about ray tracing. It just looks like some type of graphics demo, and not that many people even bought those cards. Maybe there's more to the game than that, but then again, they've definitely not marketed it as anything else.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

It sold like a literal turd on the consoles and that means a lot of the online narrative evaporated, including from so called PC gamers here

Irrespective of Epic it was really, really low selling on the idiot box, I hope the company is okay

It's because the protagonist is a fucking BROAD. These execs just never want to fucking listen.

Female protagonists are fine if they are cute. In Control they did their face scan stuff and nobody stopped and went "hold up guys this didn't really work out, we need to fix this." I guarantee you reception would be much better if the protagonist was as hot as the robot girl in Nier Automata, or Samus Aran, or whatever.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It sold like a literal turd on the consoles and that means a lot of the online narrative evaporated, including from so called PC gamers here

Irrespective of Epic it was really, really low selling on the idiot box, I hope the company is okay

It run/ran like shit on console too, which is never good. Probably put off a lot of people from buying.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It run/ran like shit on console too, which is never good. Probably put off a lot of people from buying.

Literally dips to 10fps in combat on the most popular console.

The new Star Wars game has the same damn issue. It runs like horseshit on PS4. Really perplexing, because this is the one thing you would expect buying a console - the game you buy actually work because it was tested on the system, in other words made sure it runs well. But I guess that is not the case anymore. Blows my mind to be honest.

GewuerzKahn

Savant
It's because the protagonist is a fucking BROAD. These execs just never want to fucking listen.

Female protagonists are fine if they are cute. In Control they did their face scan stuff and nobody stopped and went "hold up guys this didn't really work out, we need to fix this." I guarantee u reception would be much better if the protagonist was as hot as the robot girl in Nier Automata, or Samus Aran, or whatever.

I really think that Jessie Faden is attractive and fits perfectly in the game.

A cute character in a paranormal mystery thriller sounds like a shit anime.

Edit: I think a video game character is attractive. I am pathetic.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The new Star Wars game has the same damn issue. It runs like horseshit on PS4. Really perplexing, because this is the one thing you would expect buying a console - the game you buy actually work because it was tested on the system, in other words made sure it runs well. But I guess that is not the case anymore. Blows my mind to be honest.

I don't think it's been the case in a long time. Digital Foundry does analysis videos on older console games sometimes and it's crazy how shitty many games ran on Xbox and Xbox 360. I remember the Crysis 2 one specifically, where they showed dips into the teens during combat. And that was a game neutered from the original specifically so it would run on consoles! They want them pretty pictures for the ads, and console gamers seem to bend over for it, so it is what it is.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I don't think it's been the case in a long time. Digital Foundry does analysis videos on older console games sometimes and it's crazy how shitty many games ran on Xbox and Xbox 360. I remember the Crysis 2 one specifically, where they showed dips into the teens during combat. And that was a game neutered from the original specifically so it would run on consoles! They want them pretty pictures for the ads, and console gamers seem to bend over for it, so it is what it is.
Whatevs. PC gaming is a better experience for a myriad of reasons, this is just a small part of the pile.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron

I see, I don't remember too much about the 360 era. I do remember the first Mass Effect had some serious FPS problems on the machine though. But I take fps dips over constant stuttering though. It's the stuttering that gets me.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What's the closest game this would be comparable to?

Never thought about it before but Kahn's Tomb Raider comparison is interesting. Though note this game does not have a cover mechanic and is completely different tone wise (it's got an X-Files/Fringe vibe).

DemonKing

Arcane
Managed to finish this a week or so back minus a few of the sidequests. The end was a pain as they have long combat sequences with no save points meaning you might have to repeat the same fights over and over again for no good reason. It was pretty close to overstaying its welcome but ultimately I'd have to say my experience was positive. The NPCs and powers are generally fun to use and the area design was generally ok.

I asked the trade-in value at my local EB Games and it was only $AUD18 which isn't much for a relatively recent release. I guess the female protagonist didn't help (probably the same for Gears 5) and the storyline is probably not very accessible to your average teenage boy. I heard the PC version looks pretty amazing if you have an RTX capable card but limiting it to the EPIC games launcher probably didn't help sales there either.

Remedy still haven't managed to beat Max Payne 1 & 2 although this was probably their next best effort.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom