Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghostrunner - cyberpunk runner galore

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
https://ghostrunnergame.com

https://af.gog.com/game/ghostrunner?as=1649904300

I've already seen it described as Dishonored meets Mirror's Edge by media outlets. Props to Life of the Party for putting the original post together.

Ghostrunner is a cyberpunk-style mix of Dishonored and Mirror's Edge

Parkour, murder, and tons of neon.

The wall-running parkour revolution has kind of fizzled out in video games, and that's a sad thing. Fortunately, an upcoming game called Ghostrunner seems to remember the heady days of Titanfall 2 and Mirror's Edge as fondly as I do, and developer One More Level seems keen to pack as much of that stuff into one trailer as they can fit.

The reveal trailer above gives you about as much information as we have on Ghostrunner. It's a first-person action game featuring someone with an electric knife wall-running, whip-swinging, and neck stabbing their way through a grubby, neon lit future cityscape.

The Steam page is live now, and it provides some additional backstory for Ghostrunner's setting. Humanity has faced a global cataclysm, forcing everyone to live in a single superstructure designed by someone called The Architect. It's a very cyberpunky story, with implants determining the social class of everyone in the Tower, and it's your job to flit between reality and cyberspace in order to make your way to the top of the Tower and unravel its mysteries.

Along the way, it seems you'll be doing a lot of dashing along walls and using an energy whip to propel yourself over gaps, plummeting to the ground long enough to sink a dagger into an enemy's unsuspecting neck. Fun stuff.

Ghostrunner is scheduled for launch next August, so we have a while to wait. In the meantime, maybe it's time to replay Mirror's Edge.

https://www.pcgamer.com/ghostrunner-is-a-cyberpunk-style-mix-of-dishonored-and-mirrors-edge/

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghostrunner Is Like DOOM Meets Blade Runner, and We're Here For It

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

During my weekend in Boston at PAX East I came across countless indie games; from your run-of-the-mill pixel platformers to gorgeous visual novels and everything in between. But, the one game I can't stop thinking about is Ghostrunner.

Polish developer One More Level describes it as a "hardcore cyberpunk action game" that stars a lone cyber-warrior trying to survive in a dystopian future. The world is in ruins and society has been relegated to a tower that houses the last remaining survivors of the apocalypse. As you climb upwards throughout the game you'll encounter different enemies and environments while being hunted the entire way. All that stands between you and certain death is a host of powerful cybernetic implants and a deadly blade capable of taking out enemies with a single, well-timed slice.

What makes the gameplay so interesting is that any damage you take kills you immediately. So, combat plays out like that of Hotline Miami or SUPERHOT, where every move you make matters. Thankfully, if you do happen to fall, you respawn back at the beginning of each section immediately, which makes dying less punishing. Each section is laid out like a series of platforming puzzles you must meticulously navigate while avoiding enemy fire. While it is certainly challenging, I learned from each death and quickly memorized each section.

Ghostrunner combines its frenetic first-person sword combat with incredibly fluid movement. Your character is always running, but you can also slide and wall run similar to Mirror's Edge or Titanfall. Traversing the environments in this way feels buttery smooth and sets you up for some incredibly stylish kills. And when you do finally, brutally slash an enemy in two, the satisfying display rivals 2016's DOOM reboot.

Techno-sabers and cybernetic gadgetry aside, one of the most useful abilities is a dash. Not only does it let you zip forward momentarily, but it's also useful mid-air for crossing gaps or grabbing ledges. But if you hold this ability, you'll invoke a "sensory boost" which temporarily slows down time and enemy movement. When paired with a left or right strafe, you can effectively dodge incoming fire and close the gap on your enemies. It took me a bit of practice to master this, but once I did I felt unstoppable.

Later in my demo I gained a grappling hook which adds yet another layer of complexity to the platforming puzzles. Speaking with the developers at One More Level, they explained this cadence of ability unlocks are tied to story progress. For example, eventually, you'll be able to deflect bullets back at enemies or slice through incoming fire with a well-timed button press. Each of these abilities opens up new strategies for a highly replayable experience.

Though I only tangled with a single enemy type during my demo, One More Level confirmed there are many different enemy types you'll encounter as you journey up the tower. For instance, some enemies also wield swords and move similarly to your character, which will definitely make for some interesting showdowns.

Ghostrunner's story is delivered through an A.I. implanted in your body, referred to only as the "Whisper in your head" during my demo. After each story mission is completed, you'll have a chance to rest in a hub area before ascending into the next section of the tower. These areas act as a safe haven where most of the story beats will take place, without the danger of enemy reinforcements.

Looking at it, you wouldn't know this is being developed by a small studio of about 20 people. Its environments evoke a Blade Runner aesthetic with large, worn down industrial buildings and hazy neon lights that rival many modern, triple-A experiences. And to take it a step further, I was told Ghostrunner will support ray tracing on NVIDIA GeForce RTX-enabled graphics cards.

And though there's no official announcement that it's going to come to PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X at this time, the technology and visuals certainly seem like a good fit.

I'm eager to see how the gameplay evolves throughout Ghostrunner, and if developer One More Level can deliver a meaningful experience, instead of just throwing more enemies into the mix. My biggest question after my demo is just how much impact Ghostrunner's story can carry. During my demo, I was so concentrated on the moment-to-moment gameplay and trying not to die that I wasn't able to gather much of what was happening as I moved throughout each section.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ghostrunner-is-like-doom-meets-blade-runner-and-were-here-for-it

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Looks fun but not sure how it resembles Doom or DOOM. Hopefully the rest of the game is less railroaded too.

I watched the first trailer and had a tiny bit of hope. Fast paced cyberpunk game with swords? Hey, maybe it'll be like EYE with a better budg- and then I watched the gameplay video. Nope, this is dogshit.

guys, why so gloomy? it's a (not so) new take on mirror's edge, its speedruns might actually be interesting, if the level design is properly executed.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Demo is available on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1139900/Ghostrunner/

The demo version of Ghostrunner is available on Steam from May 6 to May 13.

Previously only available at trade shows, the demo cuts right to the chase — awaken as a cyber-warrior and slash through anyone blocking the way. Practice nimbly leaping through the air, using the grappling hook to reach new heights, and surviving lightning-paced one-hit-one-kill style action. This hardcore dance with death requires finesse and quick reaction speed, but instant respawns make each fight feel like a strategic and often bloody chess match.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Demo was very hard for me to play because of the smaller FOV and 60fps cap. Made me super nauseous. Game seems decent enough, but I couldn't play long.

Silly Germans

The game is supposed to be insta gib with swords and parkour. It was designed for one-hit-one-kill, hero and enemy alike. That obviously enforces a fairly strict design on the game. I haven't played it but it seems good enough for that.

Dexter

Arcane
Played the Demo a while ago and I was very pleasantly surprised, Cyberpunk 2077 can only wish to have melee combat that looks and feels as fluid and fast-paced as this, although the Trial&Error bits can be a bit annoying potentially:
Ghostrunner: Unreal Engine game in a cool-looking Cyberpunk world, very fast paced Melee-shooter with lots of walljumping and some Trial-and-Error platforming. Recommend turning off Blur. I liked this one. Not a terribly long Demo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom