Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Uncreation

Savant
I do find it slightly amusing how westerners react when they realise the power of economy and that some other country's (China) interests has to be taken into consideration, not just their own.

Westerners are big headed idiots that think the world revolves around them. And for economic and military reasons it did for a significant amount of time. This seems to be changing, maybe for the better, maybe for the worst. And the funny thing is many of them appear to believe that the world revolved around them because they were "right" morally, ethically, etc, not because of economic power. Now that China is stepping up, we are seeing that as expected, the CEOs and other bigwigs are not so delusional. Money talks, as they say.

Anyway, Diablo 3 was the first game i bought on launch day. As in, actually bought. For full price and everything. Well, as a a great man once said: fool me once shame on me, fool me twice, you'll never fool me again. So i think i'll skip D4, at least for starters.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I do find it slightly amusing how westerners react when they realise the power of economy and that some other country's (China) interests has to be taken into consideration, not just their own.

Westerners are big headed idiots that think the world revolves around them.

Except the big-headed Rainbow Empire idiots to whom that applies hate Western Civ with the heat of a thousand suns. Ask them. 1619 Project. They’re way more anti-West than you could ever hope to be, but it’s because they’ve fooled themselves into thinking that makes them uniquely qualified to rule the world.

Any ascendant civilization gets a lot of things right on several levels. That’s not unique to the West nor something that is without value, nor has it definitely passed from the scene yet. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Well, what is Russia? Or a country? Is it a land, people, or its government?
I have no problems with the first two.
And my opinion on third is based on my own experiences, not whats there muricans say.

The land and her people, same here.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Move to Russia Viktor.

Women are about as hot as brazilian + no sun whatsoever and everyone loves fallout and heroes of might and magic.

I finished PKM with full playthrough 4 times.
Are there any opportunities for software development on Russia? Here in Brazil, the goverment is filled with so many retards that pratically everything that isn't soy is pratically banned from being produced because of retarded legislation and bureaucracy. And about the crime rate? Does Putin place a bullet on the head of criminals as it should be done or Russia is fillied with weak ass "Mah human rights", here on Brazil the goverment protects criminals... well... actually the goverment is made by criminals so they are only protecting their friends, even the judges on the supreme court are criminals.

Depending on the situation, Russia could be a good place to flee emigrate if this shit show here gets even worse, I don't like the political situation here in Brazil and I'm getting tired of living in fear of a communist coup after each election. Honestly, I'm quite inclined to leave the leftist drones to commit their mass suicide for their sect as they wish so much to do but take my money out of this shit hole before that happens. Is Putin the kind of leftist latin american autocrat of the type: "I gonna steal your shit at any day I want."or is he the kind of Pinochet autocrat, "I do my stuff, you do your stuff." kind of autocrat?

DeepOcean

Arcane
I know Diablo is about Hell on Earth but why are we talking about Russia again?
Because Infinitron didn't split the threads yet and Diablo IV will only be released 3 years from now, you cannot play a game 7 times and say it is shit before it is released.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Are there any opportunities for software development on Russia?
Most of my friends are in IT, and it pays better than other stuff, other good places are oil/gas/your own business. There are as fine examples of coders there from men as from women. Still some work for other countries outsourcing: as labor in Ru/Ukraine etc is cheap, businesses like to outsource to us.

the goverment is made by criminals so they are only protecting their friends
same, so you will feel right at home. Police is very corrupt, whoever is not leave their jobs.
But I guess there is some order anyway? Hard to me to judge, I don't know how is it in Brazil. We do not have police on armored cars and helicopters laying holy fureh on favelas, no.

I'm getting tired of living in fear of a communist coup after each election
Our second most powerful party is communist.

Is Putin the kind of leftist latin american autocrat of the type: "I gonna steal your shit at any day I want."or is he the kind of Pinochet autocrat, "I do my stuff, you do your stuff." kind of autocrat?
I guess the second, although they are pressing more taxes on self employed right now.

OTOH, things are getting slightly better, in Moscow anyway. Maybe there is future for us and without maidans and stuff. Mostly is that current bureaucrats are so incompetent that they fail even with all money and support they have.

Ok, NO MOR POLITIKS OR INFINOTRON SPLITS.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Only one question. Is possible to dumb diablo more than Jay Wilson already dumbed down? IMO i can't think in any way to dumb d3 more, so the fact that D4 is a incline in relation to D3(and decline in relation to blizzard north's products) is not something to praise

DeepOcean

Arcane
They are thinking into keeping Jey Wilson's idea of you being able to get all skills eventually with one character, so I dunno why you guise are hoping for anything better.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Russia is a small gaming market but I'm loving the chinese goverment push to pratically ban LGBT stuff on their country, it will be hilarious to see how gaming companies will bend the knee and sacrifice all their "principles" to sell on the second largest gaming market. Magic the Gathering just recently retconned a character from being a pansexual into a straight woman that loves chads because Hasbro loves money more than their cynical virtue signaling. It will be hilarious to watch.

Long live the People's Republic of China!. Long Live the Three Red Banners!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Feel free to create your own game with locational organ damage and 3 week healing of minor injuries where nobody every gets significantly stronger and the greatest warriors the world has ever known can be killed by an infected rat bite. I'm sure it'll sell like hotcakes. :roll:

:lol:

But I mean, you've been here since '07, surely you've met DraQ

Shadenuat

Arcane
This is not what DraQ meant. His points were reasonable that time: even if you use hitpoints, at least try and avoid bloat in the system.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also I'm replaying the whole series currently because fuckery in my life means I only have time for 1 or 2-hour sessions of gaming and that style suits these games. Everything's been said about gameplay but the narrative decline from #2 to #3 is just insanity.

We go from this world where mankind is an unwitting bystander in a struggle far greater than itself, yet simultaneously having a huge influence due to its perceived insignificance leading it to be overlooked (for example, Marius removing the soulstone from Tal Rasha is a great moment even if his motives are a bit unexplained and he's also just a great character in general. An old useless man caught up in those events is cool) and perservering despite the odds and the uncaring world (the player, obviously) to literally having humanity (or at least our ancestors) be insanely powerful titan-hybrids of Angels and Demons, whose one ancestor was even so powerful that he made Diablo *run away in fear* by turning his own powers of terror against him. You are the nephalem from level 10 on out and everyone keeps telling you how fantastic you are as opposed to Diablo 1 where everyone is kindda "hey man nice you're here but shit is FUBAR so what does it even matter" or Diablo 2 where everyone just mistrusts you.

It's not just the annoying, cartoony aesthetics, it's a pervasive choice in every department.

(This is beside the annoying EPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC Michael Bayhem of modern Blizzard storytelling)

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My point is it's more than just the bad writing. Even if D3 had had good writers, they were fucked from the design document on out. No writer could have saved a version of Diablo where man is actually just a God from the get-go. That premise alone nullifies any hope of horror however slight

Shadenuat

Arcane
I never got past the candy wow visuals so I wouldn't know. I know from cinematics on utub it's anime about angels and diablo is waifu now and tyrael is black dude.

D2 already has lots of CONGRATULATIONS HERO.

But it also has grim shit in it. Here is fanservice for D1 characters in Diablo 2:

tldr:

fighter: u know it, but he also had to kill his own brother
Rogue: blood raven
sorcerer: is behind Lut Golein massacre, dies in Arcane Sanctuary

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They are thinking into keeping Jey Wilson's idea of you being able to get all skills eventually with one character, so I dunno why you guise are hoping for anything better.

The artstyle looks far better on 4 than on 3.

On Diablo 1, you can get all spells at max level, but it will take a hell lot of time. What is completely retarded is the post wow generic mmo like skill line where "everyone get X at level Y"

If was for me to design the skill progression of a ARPG, i would do the following
  • Most basic skills can be purchased in a NPC or looted in a skill book. And the player will not have money in a full playtrough to learn all basic skills
  • Runes/Books/Tomes/etc that teaches skill variations would be rare like legendary items, eg - Skeleton archer will be available to purchase. Skeleton archer who uses cold magical arrows will be a legendary variant.
  • Some skills are only obtained by doing some optional quests. Think of the DarkLurker questline to get the strongest hex on dark souls 2.
  • The player gets one skill point per level up to lv 99. Will be no hardcaps to your skill tree BUT there are diminishing returns. Eg, 1 point to levle up up to 20, 2 from 21 to 30, 5 from 30 to 40.
  • A lot of passives will exist on the tree
  • Respec will not exist or will cost 10% of total XP accumulated. Be prepared to lose some levels.
  • Level up past lv 80 will take eternities. Only the most dedicated players will reach lv 95. Be over lv 90 should be a massive "power" symbol.
  • The diminishing returns applies to +skill level from gear

Desiderius

Patron

On Diablo 1, you can get all spells at max level, but it will take a hell lot of time. What is completely retarded is the post wow generic mmo like skill line where "everyone get X at level Y"

If was for me to design the skill progression of a ARPG, i would do the following
  • Most basic skills can be purchased in a NPC or looted in a skill book. And the player will not have money in a full playtrough to learn all basic skills
  • Runes/Books/Tomes/etc that teaches skill variations would be rare like legendary items, eg - Skeleton archer will be available to purchase. Skeleton archer who uses cold magical arrows will be a legendary variant.
  • Some skills are only obtained by doing some optional quests. Think of the DarkLurker questline to get the strongest hex on dark souls 2.
  • The player gets one skill point per level up to lv 99. Will be no hardcaps to your skill tree BUT there are diminishing returns. Eg, 1 point to levle up up to 20, 2 from 21 to 30, 5 from 30 to 40.
  • Respec will not exist or will cost 10% of total XP accumulated. Be prepared to lose some levels.
  • Level up past lv 80 will take eternities. Only the most dedicated players will reach lv 95. Be over lv 90 should be a massive "power" symbol.

Guild Wars you had to capture the best skills from hardest/hidden bosses.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Diablo is not arpg, it is H&S game. Or Diablo like game as it spawned its own genre.

You can make all kinds of aRPG games but they are not Diablo likes. Diablo likes are made around murdering lots of monsters and getting lots of random loot.

Shadenuat

Arcane
these are not the druids you're looking for

if u mean kingmaker, I ran fey druid, classic defender with evocation/transmutation and monk 1/plague druid tank for Unfair rogue dungeon.

classic druid/defender of true world with buffed pet and focus on Evocation, Transmutation and Fire is probably the best of them.
extremely competent controller and endgame good summoner due to Elemental Swarm. you can also dip 1 level in some fighting class, use weapons, like a bow. monk 1 can use staff with extra attack I think.
shapeshifting is nice for tanking since Elemental ignores crits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom