Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zer0wing

Cipher
Crap! I hoped they would pave their own way.
Bracing myself for a pretentious BR-wannabe

:hmmm: Have you even seen this game.

Yes I have. I know it might come as a surprise but not all cyberpunk games have to emulate BR.
Some of them can stand on their own. We shall see...
Funny how most of criticism this game gets is that it doesn't look like BR and has actual daytime.

hexer

Yes I have. I know it might come as a surprise but not all cyberpunk games have to emulate BR.
Funny how most of criticism this game gets is that it doesn't look like BR and has actual daytime.

Oh well, the average person which forms the majority has an average IQ.
They don't see correlations even when they're in front of them.
The fact the story revolves around an immortality chip while the main theme of BR is also immortality/lifespan should be a dead giveaway.

Zer0wing

Cipher
The fact the story revolves around an immortality chip while the main theme of BR is also immortality/lifespan should be a dead giveaway.
Your not so superior IQ failed to spot the main red flag, though. This so-called immortality might revolve around that program from source material that digitizes persons consciousness and kills the bearer. A so-so immortality. Nothing like BR. Potential plot holes and lore breaks are incoming, yes, but still nothing BR in it.
BTW, Blade Runner is not about immortality thingy.

Prime Junta

It'd be almost impossible to make any kind of visual cyberpunk thing -- film, TV, game -- and not be massively influenced by BR. If you do, it's obvious, and if you don't, people will whine "this isn't cyberpunk." Like, you know, when it turns out that sometimes it's daytime in Night City.

Danikas

Arcane

More like Neuromancer, first blade runner was about rebellion against your creator not immortality.

Nueromancer
" Armitage assigns them their first job: they must steal a Rom module that contains the saved consciousness of one of Case's mentors, legendary cyber-cowboy McCoy Pauley, nicknamed "Dixie Flatline." Armitage needs Pauley's hacking expertise, and the ROM construct is stored in the corporate headquarters of media conglomerate Sense/Net."

Count Zero
"All of these plot lines come together at the end of the story and Virek – the hunter of his immortality and unlimited power – becomes the hunted. It is hinted that multiple AIs secretly inhabiting cyberspace are the fragmented, compartmentalized remains of two AIs, Neuromancer and Wintermute, having joined together (introduced in Neuromancer, and designed by the head of this Rockefeller-like family, the Tessier-Ashpools). These AI units now interface with humanity in the form of different Haitian voodoo gods, as they have found these images to be the best representations of themselves through which they can communicate with people. "

Must have hurt them when Gibson dissed the first trailer

But later he liked it.

Last edited:

hexer

BTW, Blade Runner is not about immortality thingy.

Unicorn was a popular symbol for Christ, ever since the book Physiologus from the 2nd century.
Because of that he was attributed with powers of bringing the dead back to life,
and the person who drinks his blood would become immortal.

The chess game in the movie and the last three moves Batty uses to enter the Tyrell Corporation are based of an actual chess game from 1851 called "Immortal Game".
At the end of it, the pawns become the queen, the most powerful chess piece. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promotion_(chess)

Lastly, Batty literally asks his creator / god for more life because death / life's end is a problem for him.

Machocruz

Arcane
BR is a hell of a movie, but I'm tired of the dick riding honestly. This so called "cyberpunk" movie has the least cyber of any cyperpunk thing I've ever seen or read, and it's not even faithful to its source in this regard. It is not the end all be all of cp, and I'm tempted to say it isn't at all, but I'm sure I'd be reminded by some advanced autist about some background of the background detail or .03 second scene I forgot about. Oh yeah, he talks to a camera and cars have computers on them.

Muh atmosphere dough, muh visuals dough. Yes, yes, of course. But I can also cite other movies that work just as well, like Robocop, which is kind of what I picture when reading the Sprawl Trilogy. Perpetually grey during the day.

What i like about the PnP game is that they pulled from the various sources and cobbled together something that is quintessentially, prototypically cyberpunk. Peak cyberpunk, made better by the fact that the player can add their own ideas and imagination to the mix. CDProjekt don't need to be looking at BR or anything else, it's all right there in the assorted game materials. The research and pre-production was already done for them.

hexer

This so called "cyberpunk" movie has the least cyber of any cyperpunk thing I've ever seen or read

A movie about artificial people isn't cyber enough? What kind of shit are you smoking.. pass it here!
We're not talking about the atmosphere or visuals here but the fact how it's still quoted and referenced by artists of all kind almost 40 years later.
As evidenced by CDPR's little Twitter tribute.. anyway, direct your criticism there and things might actually change .. unless it's too late.

Wesp5

Arcane
This so called "cyberpunk" movie has the least cyber of any cyperpunk thing I've ever seen or read

A movie about artificial people isn't cyber enough?

He has a point though. Read the Gibson sprawl trilogy and you'll find there is much more to cyberpunk that what is shown in Blade Runner. Like the whole idea of cyberspace!

Machocruz

Arcane
A movie about artificial people isn't cyber enough? What kind of shit are you smoking.. pass it here!
We're not talking about the atmosphere or visuals here but the fact how it's still quoted and referenced by artists of all kind almost 40 years later.
As evidenced by CDPR's little Twitter tribute.. anyway, direct your criticism there and things might actually change .. unless it's too late.

The artificial people are organic. Not cyber enough, not cyber at all. I've seen other people use the term 'biopunk,' that's closer to the mark.

I'm aware of the film's influence. I think it has too much influence on a lot of people, the think it's how CP should be, the last word. That's nonsense and the genre would be the poorer for it. Btw I wasn't referring to your discussion above or the Tweet, which I just now saw. I've seen comments on Twitter and YT complaining about lack of rain in the CP2077 trailer lol.

hexer

The artificial people are organic. Not cyber enough, not cyber at all. I've seen other people use the term 'biopunk,' that's closer to the mark.

This is wrong. Cybernetic doesn't automatically mean artificial.
Cybernetics is the science of communications and automatic control systems in both machines and living things.
Valid examples are electronic computers, the human brain, biological populations, and human society.

Cybernetics.jpg

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
I absolutely agree with the idea that holding BR as the holiest of the holy when it comes to the genre of cyberpunk is stupid. It's dystopian enough, sure, but it's missing a lot of the components of Gibson's cyberpunk. It's still my favorite movie tho

Must have hurt them when Gibson dissed the first trailer

But leter he liked it.

I gotta say, I love Gibson's work, but he's massively crotchety and out of touch these days. People took him shittalking the trailer way, way too seriously.

EDIT: Thanks to the mod who fixed that quote sandwich.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom