Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Essentially they'd like to just use an in-game browser that directly opens the trade-site they have (which is far better than poe.trade at this point btw) because it doesn't remove the process of talking and bartering with other people.
Why is it better than poe.trade?

I sometimes wonder what universe GGG lives in (chris said he hasn't played live in 7 months or something, so that might be it) when it comes to trade. It is supremely annoying having to pm a dozen people to get someone who actually replies to your trade request, and equally annoying to tp out of your map to do a trade. All so we can feel connected by trading canned lines of "tyt ss" and prewritten poe.trade buy requests.

The real reason ofc is that they want people to visit eachothers hideouts and see eachothers characters, since that moves microtransactions. But I wish they would just add a buyable trading bot you can put in your hideout, then they still get to move microtransactions and everyone gets a better experience.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Why is it better than poe.trade?
Because it has much better support for buy-orders as well as bulk-sales, and allows you to more easily sort by the time of the listing.

It is supremely annoying having to pm a dozen people to get someone who actually replies to your trade request, and equally annoying to tp out of your map to do a trade.
It's weird how people constantly complain about this, yet I personally never have this issue. And it's because I actually value my time highly enough to pay a "premium" for something I need. When there's 100 listings at 1c each, I just go and message someone who has it up for 2c instead. Because 9/10 times, that person with the higher price still has the item. Stop trying to get the cheapest deal, in the time it takes you to get the item you want for the lowest possible price, you could've farmed the difference 10 times over.

Now you could argue that with an AH you wouldn't have to do that, but guess what, unless you're actively sniping new auctions you would still pay the higher price anyway. Just because some exalts are listed at 160c right now, doesn't mean that you're entitled to only having to pay that much. The real value is the price at which you actually get the item, and AH or not, that would be closer to 165-170c right now.

This argument is also where buy-orders come in. I delved pretty heavily in blight, got to ~1k depth within the first two weeks and I didn't message someone for single sulphite scarabs at all. I bought in bulk, and when no bulk-sales were available I just set a buy-order and people came to me with their scarabs instead. Could I have tried to message dozens of people who had their rusted scarabs listed for 20c? Sure. Instead I set up a buy order for 25c and lo and behold within hours I had stocked up over 100 scarabs. It was worth paying extra, because that way I had almost no time-expense doing the actual trading.

Same applies to leaving your map to trade. Don't do that. If someone buys a shitty unique for 2c, leaving your map early is just gonna make you lose money. If the guy wants the item, he's not gonna mind waiting for you to finish your zana, lab or delve, let alone finishing just a regular map.

The only thing an automated trading system would do is remove the price-fixed listings, which you can easily blacklist, while creating a much bigger opportunity for some of the most wealthy players to just corner an entire section of the market - something which is much much worse than having to scroll down a few times and paying slightly more than the lowest listing price.

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
The real reason ofc is that they want people to visit eachothers hideouts and see eachothers characters, since that moves microtransactions. But I wish they would just add a buyable trading bot you can put in your hideout, then they still get to move microtransactions and everyone gets a better experience.

I would disagree with that; towns and especially parties do a better job moving MTXes. The real reason is as Chris Wilson has stated multiple times: Frictionless trading makes it much easier and faster to acquire meaningful upgrades, and this messes with the reward mechanism of the game. To compensate for the fact that everybody's effortlessly upgrading their gear, they would have to nerf drop rates, resulting in an even less pleasant experience for everyone else. This would then have the effect of reducing player retention.

This is not to mention the rampant botting that would take place in addition to the stuff going on right now.

Of course one could argue that in a game of such build and activity diversity as PoE, this is a bit of a moot concern, especially considering the three-month league cycle. In fact this is my position: Chris' concerns had merit back when the game was first released, but by now I feel like he's being exceptionally paranoid (though obviously he has good reason to be so, this being GGG's only game). There's enough to do in PoE as of 2019 that it'll survive easier item acquisition by its players.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's weird how people constantly complain about this, yet I personally never have this issue. And it's because I actually value my time highly enough to pay a "premium" for something I need. When there's 100 listings at 1c each, I just go and message someone who has it up for 2c instead. Because 9/10 times, that person with the higher price still has the item. Stop trying to get the cheapest deal, in the time it takes you to get the item you want for the lowest possible price, you could've farmed the difference 10 times over.
Eh, I don't notice much difference. I don't think my main issue is "people don't have the item and api hasn't updated" but rather "people can't be arsed to do cheap trades". And 2c is just not that much more than 1c, and if you start paying "real" amounts of currency for basic things, you'll be pennyless very quickly.

Frictionless trading makes it much easier and faster to acquire meaningful upgrades, and this messes with the reward mechanism of the game. To compensate for the fact that everybody's effortlessly upgrading their gear, they would have to nerf drop rates, resulting in an even less pleasant experience for everyone else. This would then have the effect of reducing player retention.
This also doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Looting gear improvements is a miserable lot. Even today, you can buy a good life + 2 resist mods for less than 10c, or you could loot and identify 100s of rares. Ofc, looting, identifying, and vendoring 100s of rares takes time too. I already 'never' loot my way to good gear past act 6 or so, so this seems like trying to prevent the boat from springing a leak when you're already kneedeep in water.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
This also doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Looting gear improvements is a miserable lot. Even today, you can buy a good life + 2 resist mods for less than 10c, or you could loot and identify 100s of rares. Ofc, looting, identifying, and vendoring 100s of rares takes time too. I already 'never' loot my way to good gear past act 6 or so, so this seems like trying to prevent the boat from springing a leak when you're already kneedeep in water.

I don't disagree with this -- no one bothers with picking up rares in PoE 2019. Hopefully they'll address that on the road to PoE 2.

Ensi

Educated
I've never had much issue with trading either, unless yeah I'm trying to get stuff for cheap. Or buying maps, fuck buying maps. Poemap.live is great.

It sure as fuck beats creating a game in Diablo 2 trying to advertise buying or selling something, having to wait for the right person to join your game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've never had much issue with trading either, unless yeah I'm trying to get stuff for cheap. Or buying maps, fuck buying maps. Poemap.live is great.

It sure as fuck beats creating a game in Diablo 2 trying to advertise buying or selling something, having to wait for the right person to join your game.
That is why people now play Path of Diablo that also has a trading site inspired by PoE :)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I don't disagree with this -- no one bothers with picking up rares in PoE 2019. Hopefully they'll address that on the road to PoE 2.
Did they mention anything concrete at exilecon? I remember some vague whisperings of altering modifiers.

Sharpedge

Prophet
My guess is that people who have higher value items tend to value their time more. At least, I know I am guilty of this. It never ceases to amaze me how its usually the people who post the cheap crap that respond the fastest. 1 alch unique for a leveling character? You can get that instantly. 10-15ex item, you probably going to wait.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Having poe website trade window pop up ingame is even worse than just having it open on second screen.. this addition will be worse for people with 2 screens, it will only be more useful for people with one screen.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Did they mention anything concrete at exilecon? I remember some vague whisperings of altering modifiers.

Chris has mentioned during ExileCon that are not happy with the way hundreds of trash items currently drop, and as part of their push to make the game more challenging they'll be also re-evaluating how item drops work so that a lesser number of more relevant items drop. It comes up during in the last ~10 minutes of the 3.9.0 deep drive. My understanding is that 3.9.0 won't contain much (if any) of the changes, but future expansions will increasingly focus on this.

He's clear that there's also a technical motive behind this -- all those trash items on the ground are nevertheless tracked by the server instance each frame, so there are real performance gains to be made from mitigating them.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
He also talked about it in relation to the game performing badly. Rendering hundreds of items on the screen has quite a drastic impact on performance as well. People often forget that, but every single item dropped gets rendered on the ground. That's why sometimes you pick up an item and cant drop it unless you move a bit, because there simply isn't enough space on the floor for it.

T. Reich

Arcane

I DO.

And this league I only sold what I found and crafted on top of.

Wanna see my currency stash after 1 month of playing like that?

Ensi

Educated
I pick up some rares as well, it's how I've made a lot of my currency

but I'm a casul player compared to many

Shadenuat

Arcane
Last time I played ssf melee I had to scrap every item I found to roll at least something on weapons to stay competetive even in midtier maps.

abija

Prophet
Idk, red blight maps were not even close with ssf melee. Maybe now with tons less people playing and whatever nerfs they added, but unless they buffed drops a lot can'be arsed to play enough to get one and check.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Just for funny worthless comparison, in a week of casual Diablo 2 single player I got not one, but 2 bis weapons for my character and almost finished Hell. (no I didn't construct Breath of Dying or anything but got enough for my particular build)
Then again I reached about same what I reached with melee but with lightning crit Templar in a span of days.
Then again I also had more fun replaying Diablo 1 than PoE or D2. I guess the less nolife degenerate dependant mechanics are, the more solid the basics are.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Just for funny worthless comparison the campaign in PoE has more content than D1 + D2, even the wierdest builds work in it and requires 0 grinding.

abija

Prophet
Why exactly do you assume that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom