Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

biggestboss

Liturgist

Mortmal

Arcane
Founder edition are already oversold, dont think its failing, it may be the future of AAA gaming if google pour money into it , exactly like Microsoft made the Xbox force its way into the market. It can become very popular, previews were stelllar.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...a-technical-conceptual-disaster/#34e00e1b5ec7
It certainly does not look great there, no way to know before trying, probably depends on who pay the guy writing the review.

Codex Year of the Donut
Is easy to guess that they waited for the first reactions to Divinity 2 to give them full rights.

You do know that "Divinity 2" usually refers to a different game and not D:OS 2?
Sadly no one remembers Divinity 2: Ego Draconis, even Larian has put this warning on Divinity 2's store page
Steam-Banner-v5-DIV2.png
Divinity 2 is a great game

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Codex Year of the Donut
How they managed to keep a lid on? They game was barely on paper when they announced Stadia deal. And Stadia is already failing, so naturally it was all a scam. Enjoy!
Founder edition are already oversold, dont think its failing, it may be the future of AAA gaming if google pour money into it , exactly like Microsoft made the Xbox force its way into the market. It can become very popular, previews were stelllar.
I thought Stadia was just a streaming service? Is it like a console or something?

jf8350143

Liturgist
Larian is known for it's turn based environment interacting combat among casual players, despite them having made more games that aren't turn based.

There is no reason to assume they will go real-time action game just because "casuals don't like turn-base game", which itself is not true. There are plenty main stream turn based game, and no one has made any main stream RPG with a turn based combat system in so long we don't have any idea if the casual RPG fans will like it or not.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

[Talking about console release of EEs] I am very excited to jump into them. [...] I have a long plane ride ahead of me so I am excited to be able to have that Switch in front of me and play some of those really really classic PC games in a handheld way.

And you guys should jump in and try them if you can. They're a great way to get hype for Baldur's Gate, along with this Clue [Dungeons & Dragons themed one], along with the adventure to everything excited as we wait for the release date for Baldur's Gate 3 which should be coming out very soon.

I guess they're coordinating the reveal of Baldur's Gate 3 and announcement of the secret D&D co-op action RPG.

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
There is no reason to assume they will go real-time action game just because "casuals don't like turn-base game", which itself is not true.
IMHO, any hope for a turn-based BG3 should have been buried when Larian announced that 200+ people (AAA territory) are working on the game. IIRC, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but only 50 or 60 developers worked on D:OS 2.

That said, D:OS 2 did sell 2+ million copies, but they'd probably need to move 1.5 to 2 million copies of BG3 simply to break even due to higher production costs. The assumption that a D&D D:OS 2 clone could sell 3+ million copies if "Baldur's Gate" is printed on the box, is also rather adventurous IMO.

Just being realistic here.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The times when "mass appeal" equaled "real time combat" are over - Larian was the one who proved it and even Obsidian added TB mode for Deadfire after that. Again, WotC didn't give Larian the BG license when they were doing real-time games. With the success of turn-based D:OS1, WotC themselves offered them the license. And Swen hates real-time anyway.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Where do you get the number of people required for a turn based game? just because it's 200+ does not mean it could not be turn based.

Firaxis for example has close to 200 workers and they did xcom2 which is a turn based game.
MicroProse had 343 employees before it merged with Hasbro.

Last edited:
I haven't been paying attention, did they explain the whole missing-isn't-fun thing? Because if that's not a red flag I don't what is.

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
The times when "mass appeal" equaled "real time combat" are over
Sure, but 200 people are working on this game and not just 50 (add licensing fees to that). Larian needs to sell substantially more than the 2+ million copies that D:OS 2 sold to make a good profit. From a pure business perspective it would be a stupid move to triple or quadruple production costs, but only sell as many or slightly more copies than D:OS 2 did.

That said, the chances of a turn-based D&D D:OS 2 clone with "Baldur's Gate" on the box selling substantially more than 2+ million copies is very slim, that is just the way it is.

The days of Final Fantasy VII are simply long gone, which is why Square has also moved on to realtime combat for larger productions.

Again, WotC didn't give Larian the BG license when they were doing real-time games. With the success of turn-based D:OS1, WotC themselves offered them the license.
Larian could have just made "Minsc and Boo's turn-based Adventures on the Sword Coast" if they were looking for another project, but they specifically asked for the Baldur's Gate license and only probably only got the license because they promised to sink a ton of money into producing it (200+ developers). I doubt they did that just to make a turn-based sequel.

And Swen hates real-time anyway.
Nope. Swen is a huge real-time strategy fan. I believe (not 100% sure) that he has also stated that he enjoys the Diablo series, which would explain why Divine Divinity exists.

Firaxis for example has close to 200 workers and they did xcom2 which is a turn based game.
Civilization is Firaxis' money maker, not to mention that XCom is a tactical game with RPG elements and a slim scope and not and an RPG.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I doubt they did that just to make a turn-based sequel.

That's a strange choice of words. So if they go real-time, it wouldn't be "just" a real-time sequel? As has been said before:

1) You cannot control a party in pure RT combat.
2) Larian's RT stuff didn't sell, but TB did.
3) Why would WotC hire them for an RT game, considering they weren't impressed by Larian's RT games, but only the TB one?

As to whether 200 people is too expensive for Baldur's Gate III, who knows? I'm sure they did some research on name recognition and how much that would translate into sales. I think that even a D:OS2-type game would sell much more if it is in the famous Baldur's Gate setting.

Vatnik Wumao
So how is it a sequel to the BG franchise exactly? All it has in common with it is the setting of the game and maybe some irrelevant narrative threads to link them together which won't be that emphasized within this game's story anyhow.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I believe that there are two certainties about BG3:

- The player controls a party and not a single character (therefore the whole third/first person action thing seems hard to me) : This is important because BG is famous for its companions and interactions with them, party building etc
- The ruleset will not be completely "improvised": Sure I know that Sven said some things about misses etc but I really doubt that WotC would allow a full "butchery" of the 5ed. That also indicates a game that can't be "first person action" or something like that.

I have the feeling they will try to go RTwP , maybe with third person exploration a la DA:O. But who knows, maybe it will indeed be turn-based and I won't mind that at all. I will be very surprised if they go all popeamoley

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
I doubt they did that just to make a turn-based sequel.

That's a strange choice of words.
Larian doesn't need to print "Baldur's Gate" on the box to make an RPG set in The Forgotten Realms or to use D&D. There also isn't any story in the BG trilogy to continue. They could just as easily make "Minsc and Boo's turn-based adventures on the Sword Coast", as D&D and The Forgotten Realms has substantial brand recognition as well.

So why do they specifically want to make Baldur's Gate 3? The decisive argument IMO would be they want to emulate the gameplay (combat obviously wouldn't be a carbon copy).

As to whether 200 people is too expensive for Baldur's Gate III, who knows? I'm sure they did some research on name recognition and how much that would translate into sales.
That is AAA territory. If only 50 - 60 people were working on the game, then I think we could safely assume that it would be a turn-based game, but that isn't the case. How many newer AAA turn-based games are there? Probably zero.

I think that even a D:OS2-type game would sell much more if it is in the famous Baldur's Gate setting.
Certainly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom