Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your Gaming Priorities

Go on, tell us what matters to you............

• Graphics

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • Music

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Sound FX

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Voice Over Quality

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Story

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • Gameplay

Votes: 79 86.8%
  • Game Length

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • Choice & Consequence

Votes: 26 28.6%
  • Romance

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Strong Characters

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Freedom of Choice

Votes: 35 38.5%
  • The inclusion of KingComrade

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Setting/Gameworld

Votes: 24 26.4%

• Total voters

mondblut

Arcane
Research. A game is basically a scientific problem to solve.

That is, until those stupid children with their fun and games ruined them.

Hyperion

Arcane
Gameplay
Music
Sound FX
Art style - replaced Graphics with my own choice. Cutting edge graphics don't matter if you've great spritework, like Octopath Traveler, to give a modern example.
Strong characters

in that order. Never underestimate the importance of good sound effects, like equipping a 2h axe in Diablo 1 and 2 making that metallic THUD. Or the Cleric Beast's screams as you climb the first ladder in Yharnam in Bloodborne.

Last edited:

Khor1255

Arcane
Freedom of choice (ie open world)
Gameplay (at least understandable game physics)
Story
And although I can put up with really sub standard graphics if the above elements are good enough non retarded graphics are cool and cinematic graphics are awesome.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You forgot mechanical quality. It seems to me that games these days are never fully functional and bug free on release.

Mojobeard

Augur
No setting/gameworld option, no vote.
This and replayability. Replayability is more important to me than game length, and I wouldn't necessarily tie it to gameplay or C&C either, as it varies per game (Star Fox 64 vs Alpha Protocol).

My guilty pleasure KC vote would have been character customization. I love making my characters look nice.

mastroego

Arcane
Gameplay, which should include choices & consequences (though for me it mostly applies to strategy or tactics nowadays).
Then music, sound, and graphics.
They're not the main ingredient but they're like arrangements in songs: if you want a song to be timeless you need to nail them too.

Story is totally secondary, I can't take stories in games seriously anyway (as always, there might be exceptions).
Voice overs are a neutral thing when done right, or even a positive addition when they're spectacularly made, but with poor acting and voices the damage done to immersion is greater than it would be for poorly made music, sounds or graphics. In other words, they're a risky addition.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I didn't tick off graphics because that can just as well mean just pushing the tech while looking soulless. If you had an art direction option however, I'd tick that in a heartbeat.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Multiplayer is non-zero.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Shame on you three whoever you are. Your priorities are WRONG.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
JRPG's are a good example of relatively good gameplay but horrible graphics (anime lollies), which make them more or less unplayable as an RPG for me.

I have no need for fancy graphics: Many of my favorite game are from the 8 and 16 bit eras, when the graphics were limited but the games were challenging and fun. A good, challenging game with an interesting will put you into a groove where you focus on the game and the graphics become background noise.

You should add challenge to the list. Challenge is an important priority.

Falksi

Arcane
I have no need for fancy graphics: Many of my favorite game are from the 8 and 16 bit eras, when the graphics were limited but the games were challenging and fun. A good, challenging game with an interesting will put you into a groove where you focus on the game and the graphics become background noise.

You should add challenge to the list. Challenge is an important priority.

The reason I've left challenge off is because it's often variable. Right down to solo runs, different difficulties, or just playing one handed whilst wanking, challenge can often be dictated by the player. Where as, mods aside, things such as story & gameplay are a constant.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Gameplay>Story>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom