Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Is this thing still on?

I was disappoint in this largely because of AC: Origins. I liked that because it was pretty decent historical fiction, with a sense of time and place and didn't play completely fast and loose with real history, and when it did, it did so fairly intelligently. AC: Odyssey was pure herp derp Xena. Better brawling than in Origins but still mind-numbingly grindy; also every place I visited felt more or less the same, just with different levels of fancy architecture. There was none of the feeling of variety that I got when going from Siwa to Alexandria and from there up the Nile.

But mostly I couldn't get past the bad-comic-book grade retardation. I don't think I ever could if I decided to return to it one day. Especially the way the Spartans were portrayed.

That's all well and good but I just bought this and I am starting a fucking 77 gig download (WTF!). For the first time since Tomb Raider II I plan on playing a woman in a video game and I better be able to have sweet, sweet lady sex with any bitch I do not kill.
You can have all the lady you want, but in the DLC you will be forced to fuck a random guy and get pregnant.

God dammit. If I play as the dude can I fuck twinks while still maintaining my masculinity?

jf8350143

Liturgist
Is this thing still on?

I was disappoint in this largely because of AC: Origins. I liked that because it was pretty decent historical fiction, with a sense of time and place and didn't play completely fast and loose with real history, and when it did, it did so fairly intelligently. AC: Odyssey was pure herp derp Xena. Better brawling than in Origins but still mind-numbingly grindy; also every place I visited felt more or less the same, just with different levels of fancy architecture. There was none of the feeling of variety that I got when going from Siwa to Alexandria and from there up the Nile.

But mostly I couldn't get past the bad-comic-book grade retardation. I don't think I ever could if I decided to return to it one day. Especially the way the Spartans were portrayed.

That's all well and good but I just bought this and I am starting a fucking 77 gig download (WTF!). For the first time since Tomb Raider II I plan on playing a woman in a video game and I better be able to have sweet, sweet lady sex with any bitch I do not kill.
You can have all the lady you want, but in the DLC you will be forced to fuck a random guy and get pregnant.

God dammit. If I play as the dude can I fuck twinks while still maintaining my masculinity?

If you play as the dude the character you was suppose to fuck changed into a lady, and they have the same dialogue and personality.

Basically Ubisoft wants you to have a baby, and they are too lazy to write something make sense, so they just shove a random person opposite of your protagonist's gender and force you to have a baby with it.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Christ on a stick the DLC sucks. First DLC just sucked wholesale and the second...I enter a beautiful looking new location and first quest I get?

GO CLEAR A FORT

someone fire Ubisoft designers and writers. Please.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Christ on a stick the DLC sucks. First DLC just sucked wholesale and the second...I enter a beautiful looking new location and first quest I get?

GO CLEAR A FORT

I gave up on the first DLC halfway through. Boring piece of shit. But I did hold hope for the Atlantis one, since the part with Pythagoras in the vanilla was kindda cool.

Fishy

Savant

GO CLEAR A FORT

Yeah, it's a lot of the same clear this, clear that. But I really enjoyed that second DLC. The locations were neat, it's tied to Greek mythology, and best of all: NO ELPIDIOS!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I keep hearing this game is good, however, my toaster refuses to run it at an acceptable performance level. I get sub 25 fps, no matter the detail settings. I guess my dual core Thinkpad is showing its age :(

Game doesn't hold 1080p@60fps even on flagship GPUs. One of the worst-scaling, worst-performing games I've ever seen; heavier even than Red Dead Redemption 2, which is a feat.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Rubbish game. How the fck! did you people play this shit. Every enemy is a fckn sponge and combat is just whack! whack! whack! whack! spam nonsense. Origins was waaay more fun to play.

And how many fckn collect this, save him and clear out nonsense are you supposed to play. Atrocious fckn cutscenes where the mc just goes into his default crossed arm pose. Rubbish fckn game. Worst mainline AC game by far.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I feel like I've been playing this for ten-thousand years. Every moment is the same. It's so bland. Is it me or the game? Why can a 20 year old SNES game hold my attention better than this?

The only good thing I can say about it is it's so undemanding on my attention I can easily play it while watching the entire series of House MD without being distracted.

If this game were released 5 years ago it would be game of the year. If it came out 10 years ago it would Game of the Century. Now it's like, meh, s'alright. What is going on?

The content is amazeballs. The Aegean sea... the place where the word Archipelago was coined. Hand-crafted temples, statues, pillars, etc. The Athenian Acropolis in all it's majesty. How cool is that? No load screens, the whole place, free roam. Sail the sea on your own damn ship. Embark, sail the ocean, disembark at a new island. Fricken AWESOME. This tech is so cool. I never could have imagined a game this neat when I was young. Not in a million years.

Meh. S'alright. WTF???

How are we living with such amazing tech and making such boring games with it? It boggles the mind. What would Avellone do if he were given these toys to play around with? Or Larian? Or shit, even Cleve?

Where does gaming go from here? How can anyone keep up with these standards? If AC Odyssey is so bland, what hope does anyone have? Clearly, whatever makes a game really, truly good isn't in this. Ubisoft doesn't have it, they don't know what it is anymore, if they ever did.

Seriously this game has given me an existential gaming crisis.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I feel like I've been playing this for ten-thousand years. Every moment is the same. It's so bland. Is it me or the game?

Ubi general philosophy - a huge world filled with generic stuff. Relatively little handcrafted content. Just puff up the game as much as possible to prolong engagement and preferably sell some boosters.

I actually liked the old AC formula for what it was - a lighthearted open world theme park. At least it didn't pretend to be a Witcher 3 wannabe.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The presentism in these games is so off-putting. Bunch of hacks writing historical games about part of the world they clearly don't understand or really care. It's in stark contrast with something like Kingdom Come. Just look at the main writers.

Mel-photo-1080.jpg

Dfmt4WMXkAENS7P.jpg

:0-13:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The presentism in these games is so off-putting. Bunch of hacks writing historical games about part of the world they clearly don't understand or really care. It's in stark contrast with something like Kingdom Come.

Very true. Although I did find Origins to be much more respectful (except the mixed school classes). Presumably because noone gives a shit about some stupid white people countries but we have to be respectful to African history since we wuz kangz and sheet.

Codex Year of the Donut
The presentism in these games is so off-putting. Bunch of hacks writing historical games about part of the world they clearly don't understand or really care. It's in stark contrast with something like Kingdom Come.

Very true. Although I did find Origins to be much more respectful (except the mixed school classes). Presumably because noone gives a shit about some stupid white people countries but we have to be respectful to African history since we wuz kangz and sheet.
100% greek
2ryZHL2.jpg

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I feel like I've been playing this for ten-thousand years. Every moment is the same. It's so bland. Is it me or the game?

Ubi general philosophy - a huge world filled with generic stuff. Relatively little handcrafted content. Just puff up the game as much as possible to prolong engagement and preferably sell some boosters.

I actually liked the old AC formula for what it was - a lighthearted open world theme park. At least it didn't pretend to be a Witcher 3 wannabe.

AC 2 was peak. They took a bunch of actual historical events and wove a conspiracy narrative about ancient alien artifacts and century-old secret societies. It was hammy as hell and fantastic. Old AC actually wanted you to understand the history they were depicting in order to enhance the plausibility of the conspiracy and deepen the characters.

Modern AC has little interest in the history it's depicting, glossing over it at best, revising it at worst. According to one contemporary account, the Peloponnesian war was sparked by retaliation for kidnapping hookers. Or "For three whores, all of Greece burned." That's an awesome story; where is that in the game? Nowhere to be found. Not PC enough. Too many people might be upset.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
AC 2 was peak. They took a bunch of actual historical events and wove a conspiracy narrative about ancient alien artifacts and century-old secret societies. It was hammy as hell and fantastic. Old AC actually wanted you to understand the history they were depicting in order to enhance the plausibility of the conspiracy and deepen the characters.

Modern AC has little interest in the history it's depicting, glossing over it at best, revising it at worst. According to one contemporary account, the Peloponnesian war was sparked by retaliation for kidnapping hookers. Or "For three whores, all of Greece burned." That's an awesome story; where is that in the game? Nowhere to be found. Not PC enough. Too many people might be upset.

Agree that AC2 was peak narratively. But trying to replay it 2 years ago I found out it didn't age well gameplay-wise. Black Flag or Syndicate pushed the mechanics way forward and now it's p. hard to get back into those old AC games again.

As for the Peloponnesian war that account is amusing and it'd certainly make for a better plot point than "a stronk braev wahmyn is very evil and must be defeated by another stronk braev wahmyn". But it'd be even more interesting if Ubi tried to work with the actual context and causes of the war, to entertain AND educate us. But I guess that would be too difficult and booooring for your average gaymer to chew.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
AC2 was huge decline for me. It started that wacky trope of world famous historical figures to be the protagonist helpers. The first one had some big historical names but nothing the average joe schmo could recognize.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I don't recall that, I know it came out on console first and thats where I played it.
Living in a third world country and being one of the first games I bought the fckn disc for, I certainly remember it. Motherfuckers! The crack was basically running a server emulator in the background then launching the game, taught me a lot about troubleshooting, that one game. Fckn! Ubisoft. Had to crack one of the first games I paid for, though I bought it cause the download was too large on my 40kb/s net. Taught me the right lesson. -_-

AC2 was huge decline for me. It started that wacky trope of world famous historical figures to be the protagonist helpers. The first one had some big historical names but nothing the average joe schmo could recognize.
Agreed. AC2 is elongated tutorial the game and the narrative is a step down from the philosophical aspirations of the first. To this day it's my least fav. game to actually play cause it doesn't let me free. Brotherhood was a large step up interms of freedom though.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

I concur, figures I had hope for it after playing the first game and thus got what I deserved.

Kinda liked 3rd and 4th btw. 3rd for nature parkouring and "savage" looking combat and 4th for pirating and underwater sections (even with all their linearity)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom