Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What elements are desirable in the final showdown of an RPG?

Deleted Member 22431

The final showdown concept is a degeneracy from JRPGs, which are not genuine cRPGs. I deem this thread impure.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Mind fuckery. Was your party actually on some epic quest to save bigboobedelfland, or are you actually a frog who ate a ziplock bag of psychedelics and is on the verge of developing sapience?

Who knows? I prefer the second one.
Do you know of any games with endings like this?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Mind fuckery. Was your party actually on some epic quest to save bigboobedelfland, or are you actually a frog who ate a ziplock bag of psychedelics and is on the verge of developing sapience?

Who knows? I prefer the second one.
Do you know of any games with endings like this?

Sadly, none to that extent. Although I am finishing up a game with a weird meta narrative ending.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Yes there are a few essential elements to make this particular recipe. It must be carefully considered in order to reach maximum success and fulfillment. I will tell you about the necessary steps. First of all whip out mah dick. Second of all, have my dick get cut off by some vile creature. Third, realise the truth of it all, and then either go home or kill myself. After all this, I cannot fucking wait for NG+

Old Hans

Arcane
magic candle was my favorite rpg ending. there was no goofy boss. You just cast a complex spell to keep the demon inside the candle.

Here's one: If there is a final boss, let the Final Boss be something definitively exceptional and strange.

For example, in a purely mundane setting, the boss can be not a person, but a vehicle. Say, a tank.

In a sci-fi setting, the boss can be some mutant creature, super-soldier or cyborg.

If the boss is absolutely mundane (say, a very skilled human guy with some weapon), then let him absolutely ridiculous goon numbers, or use tricks against the palyer.

If its a fantasy setting, then have him either be someone super-powerful or something more than the player. Say, a cyclopean abomination from another world.

But really, above it all: The Final Boss is NOT the time to go easy on the players.

laclongquan

Arcane
1. The place must be somewhat unique from the rest of the maps. IWD2 has the final battles in Throne room, and later on run to the pool room.

2. it must have some tactical feature, not a flat empty space. IWD2 rooms do have some like that. You can have a few ways to manage your battlefield.

3. It also must have some random factor throwing in, not a THE-ONLY-WAY tactic to win, which is boring. Again, with IWD2, the way randoms infuse that last battle, you dont have a surefire tactic for whole map. One segment or two, fine, but not the whole thing. If the minions chase after you through upper and lower route and you only concentrate on one route, you are screwed. And if they only chase after one route, the resource you deploy on the other route is wasted and you could get swarmed for the time you deploy them back.

4. The adversaries must be hard on their own right, with no obvious weakness. IWD2 two final bosses are tough as fuck. And players might simply want to exploit the game design (if any boss fall down to dangerous HP level, they change to second stage. At 2nd stage, if any are killed, the end game kick in) just so you dont have to drag the battles any longer. Not that you cant defeat them both (even if the game allow), but because you would like to shorten the game somewhat then and there. And depend on your playing tactic, some boss maybe slightly easier than the other. Some game I concentrate on Madea, some on Isae.

In contrast, final battles in Fallout Tactics is not that good. Fighting room to room is not very unique to the whole campaign. Silent Storm got that 3D silo map which simply uniquely to the all three games. Sentinels has you fight three robots at once which is good because you can finally unload all the hoarded HQ explosives on them. Hammer & Sickles has you fighting in a half-expanded, half hilly, half road, unique only in one thing: If you have top of the line sniper, standing en correct spot, you can spot an ambushing sniper on the far side of the map. It's probabbly not in dev's intention but it's not very easy to do so either. Although the second to last, fighting through the tunnels is pretty unique in that game, considering the hidden corridors, the switch etc...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom