Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
They are only using it for name recognition.
So a turn-based game with a AAA budget, with name recognition from a beloved RTwP series, that needs to sell at least 1.5 million copies to break even, while angering fans of the Baldur's Gate Trilogy who want RTwP-combat for nostalgic reasons.

:hmmm:

I'll be surprised if that happens. Even a straight up Diablo clone would be more likely than that IMO.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So a turn-based game with a AAA budget, with name recognition from a beloved RTwP series, that needs to sell at least 1.5 million copies to break even, while angering fans of the Baldur's Gate Trilogy who want RTwP-combat for nostalgic reasons.

I'll be surprised if that happens. Even a straight up Diablo clone would be more likely than that IMO.
Because they aren't aiming at old fans, they are aiming at a new audience.

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
Because they aren't aiming at old fans, they are aiming at a new audience.
Correct. So what makes you think a turn-based RPG with a AAA budget (the first in years) and name recognition from a series that appeals mostly to old fans, will sell millions to the mainstream?

They'd rather play Diablo.

Mortmal

Arcane
I haven't been paying attention, did they explain the whole missing-isn't-fun thing? Because if that's not a red flag I don't what is.
No still nothing at all from the very beginning. Keep saying that means real time action, similar to jrpg the like of dragon's dogma or the last final fantasy. IF its turn based , it will be an heavily bastardized ruleset with cooldowns akin Divos . Solasta show perfectly well 5E works just fine like that on a computer game , and there's a combat demo to prove it. Larian is still complete corporate secrecy now.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Correct. So what makes you think a turn-based RPG with a AAA budget (the first in years) and name recognition from a series that appeals mostly to old fans, will sell millions to the mainstream?
It won't, that's why it's going to be an action game alla Witcher.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I believe that there are two certainties about BG3:

- The player controls a party and not a single character (therefore the whole third/first person action thing seems hard to me) : This is important because BG is famous for its companions and interactions with them, party building etc
- The ruleset will not be completely "improvised": Sure I know that Sven said some things about misses etc but I really doubt that WotC would allow a full "butchery" of the 5ed. That also indicates a game that can't be "first person action" or something like that.

I have the feeling they will try to go RTwP , maybe with third person exploration a la DA:O. But who knows, maybe it will indeed be turn-based and I won't mind that at all. I will be very surprised if they go all popeamoley
DA:I has both 3rd person angle and a "tactical camera angle" which is pretty much isometric(no one use it though), it's not something hard to do.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
How many newer AAA turn-based games are there? Probably zero.

200 people is probably on the lower end of AAA-titles. Keep in mind that these 200 people are in 5 locations, including cheap ones like Russia and Malaysia.

Also keep in mind that 100 people working for 2 years or 200 people working for 1 year is the same kind of expense, so a lot depends on how long it will take to be finished.

For comparison: BG2 sold about 2-3 million copies in total - which is not much more than D:OS2 sold. Though I don't know how many people worked on BG2 for how long.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
200 people is not AAA development in 2019. AAA games are made by 500 to over 1000 people these days.

That many people touch them in some fashion, but not that many are full time working on it the whole development period. Also whether it's "AAA" or not, 200 people ain't making a fucking Pillars of Eternity style game.

How many newer AAA turn-based games are there? Probably zero.

200 people is probably on the lower end of AAA-titles. Keep in mind that these 200 people are in 5 locations, including cheap ones like Russia and Malaysia.

Also keep in mind that 100 people working for 2 years or 200 people working for 1 year is the same kind of expense, so a lot depends on how long it will take to be finished.

For comparison: BG2 sold about 2-3 million copies in total - which is not much more than D:OS2 sold. Though I don't know how many people worked on BG2 for how long.

BG2 had a development time of 21 months. It sold 1.5 million copies in a little over a year. That would be a good success today, but was outstanding for the time--given the differences in the market. I can't find any reliable data on development team size overall. For what its worth, it took a dozen artists to make all the game's artwork, models, animations, etc.

hexer

^^
I can't speak for everybody but the best paid programmers in my EU country are those that work for USA clients / owners.
At a minimum they have double salaries.
I also suspect working for Japanese pays great but I wouldn't know first-hand.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron

Read this article again:
https://asumetech.com/a-knight-in-s...-talks-about-the-long-path-of-larian-studios/

What was one of the biggest changes you made to Divinity: Original Sin during production?

It used to be a real-time game. We did it turn based. I see that Yakuza has taken out of our book. [Laughs]

I asked myself, "What are we doing? We're doing a real-time game because they shared it with us. "The publishers have told us that they can not get their distribution agreements when they're turn based, it has to be real time, blah, blah, blah. We were conditioned to think in real time." I was in the shower, wondering: We're going to compete with Blizzard on an action RPG, we can not compete with Blizzard, we do not have the resources, but nobody does more turn based RPGs, maybe we should go there. "And that was a really good move

That's what we had to do, out of divinity: original sin came from the divinity: The original sin II and from this came Baldurs Tor (gate) 3

Finally, he calls me and says, "Do you want to do that?" And I said, "Yes!" He invited me into downtown Seattle and handed me the full map for Baldur's Gate 3 in a shady bar. It was pretty much everything we talked about. A few weeks later, he called me and they said yes. So we had to show them a design document when we made Divinity: Original Sin II.

Still think there is a chance it is going to be a diablo clone?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
And they all pay their programmers in peanuts.

Define peanuts. The salary level in Sweden is about 15% lower than that in the US.

If you go to eastern Europe sure but Larian has studios in Belgium and Ireland, neither of which are countries with low salaries.

Their St. Petersburg office might fit the bill of low cost programmers in Europe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom