Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Game Awards 2019

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If Outer Worlds is on the list for best RPG or narrative. Then GreedFall deserves to be on there as well. It was a way better experience and game than Outer Worlds.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahhh petty retard,it is about choosing the games you liked the most,it is not about choosing against the games you hate. You are very petty person.

Sorry, friend, but I won't enable bolshevism.
The guy that embraced the most communistic game,Surviving Mars lol.

It is clear that haven't even played the game and just read some garbage on the codex lol. Anyway,it is about you picking something to have over something that you like,it is petty.

PrettyDeadman

I really shouldn't care about this kind of stuff but I'm just pissed at how grossly overrated Control and A Plague Tale are...

Oh well, at least best indie game nominations remains pretty damn so solid just like last year.
How is Control overrated?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I really shouldn't care about this kind of stuff but I'm just pissed at how grossly overrated Control and A Plague Tale are...

Oh well, at least best indie game nominations remains pretty damn so solid just like last year.
It is a good action game with some interesting mysteries. The main story and the protagonist are pretty boring,but that is not a big part of the game. It have fluid action,good exploration and some interesting things to read. I voted it for goty because it is a lot better than the rest of the group. Check out the thread here if you need more info.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The guy that embraced the most communistic game,Surviving Mars lol.

It is clear that haven't even played the game and just read some garbage on the codex lol. Anyway,it is about you picking something to have over something that you like,it is petty.
not sure what surviving mars has to do with anything, firstly I'm not sure how it is 'communistic' especially in regards to its narrative agenda like DE. Secondly, I merely said I was having fun with it, that's hardly "embracing" it. Also I have clearly played DE and anyone who reads any of my posts about it in its respective threads can see that.

What's absolutely hilarious is how much you seemingly care about THE GAME AWARDS BY GEOFF KEIGHLEY as if Disco Elysium or any fucking game, for that matter, winning anything is some achievement to be celebrated. Let me know when you switch back to your "Bulgarian who's too cool to care about this shit, I'm a chad who gets drunk and fucks women, faggot!" persona instead of this current one that is hiding in a cellar with several piss jugs.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyways here are my votes for those respective categories so you can have the full truth before you cast your judgment.

best narrative - death stranding over disco because the the more chances keighley and kojima have to interact the more cringe we will get
best independent game - baba is you over disco elysium because it is a better game and more innovative also finland is more based than estonia.
best rpg - picked outer worlds because it's the only RPG on the list that I played. shame there isn't an award for best VN or adventure game.
fresh indie game - voted for slay the spire because it's a good game.

:positive:

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
GOTY: TOW :retarded:

But on a serious note, for the great game DE is, I really don't get how the hell an niche genre indie game is doing rounds among the corporate big boys. I can get that at some point journos started 10/10-ing it from pure peer pressure, but getting nominations on TGA is just too weird.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

My biggest gripe with it is Remedy didn't really go all in with all the supernatural spooky elements. It has a few cool tidbits like Ashtray Maze and the altered items, most notable anchor and fridge, but despite the strong SCP foundation influence, I never found the game to be truly spooky or frightening. This is the kind of game that can go balls to the wall insane on the level of House of Leaves, break the fourth wall on the level of Joker in Batman Arkham Asylum (it does have some but it's just NPC talking gibberish), do some Silent Hill shit, but everything ended up trite and superficial. The game's language for supernatural events is telekinesis, distorted space, distorted sound, teleportation and that's it. The documents that tap in each phenomenons are intriguing at first when redacted names and informations keep you from learning the full situation, but almost all of them are isolate incidents that end with "we have no idea what's causing this". The characters don't even treat the phenomenons with curiousity or caution either. Speaking of which, Jesse's one of the flattest video game protagonists I've ever seen, I swear the dude from watch dogs 1 showed more emotion than her.

The combat is satisfying, but this game has the same problem as rage 2: you can do a lot, enemies can do very little. Telekinesis keep the game from being a series of point and shoot, now it's point and shoot and hold - release E. The RPG mechanics are Ubisoft-tier unnecessary, the most challenging enemies are the bullet sponges, and the lack of environmental challenges or puzzles is baffling since this game boasted a lot about "changing house". See the walls popping off illogically? Activate a control point and they reset to normal. I'm sorry but throwing battery cubes into holes on the wall isn't engaging at all.

For what it's worth, I love the music, I listened to My Dark Disquiet countless times before and the way it's integrated into the acoustic lab is brilliant. And of course it's very hard to ignore all the pretty revolutionary physics shenanigan going on whenever combat happens. But I strongly disagree with people who claim this to be Remedy's best or second best or whatever. Better than Quantum Break but feel very underdeveloped compared to MP1, 2 and Alan Wake.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Disco Elysium isn't a RPG, is a point and click adventure. And DMC 5 isn´t even on the list what a disaster. Edit: I see it's in best action game category but not in GOTY instead they put overrated stuff like Control and Sekiro.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
GOTY: TOW :retarded:

But on a serious note, for the great game DE is, I really don't get how the hell an niche genre indie game is doing rounds among the corporate big boys. I can get that at some point journos started 10/10-ing it from pure peer pressure, but getting nominations on TGA is just too weird.
Are you kidding? Corporate big wigs are all down with the kids...

Why wouldn't ZA/UM attract journalists?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Why is FF XIV nominated - for best RPG even? That game has been released (half) a decade ago and is an MMO.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Disco Elysium is better than ToW but I cannot support this travesty of awards.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Easy picks.

Game of The Year
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice(From Software/Activision)

Best Game Direction

a retarded category, should be "Best Gameplay Design". In which case Sekiro should win. Outer Wilds also a strong contender.

Best Narrative
Disco Elysium(ZA/UM)

Best Art Direction

Death Stranding(Kojima Productions/SIE), by a country mile

Best Audio Design
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice(From Software/Activision), but Death Stranding also very good

Best Performance

Mads Mikkelsen as Cliff, Death Stranding, eeeeeasy pick

Games for Impact

wtf lol

Best Ongoing Game
Warframe, also for all the previous and future years

Best Independent Game
Disco Elysium(ZA/UM), Outer Wilds as a close second

Best Action Game

Metro Exodus(4A Games/Deep Silver) because fuck animefags

Best Action/Adventure Game

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice(From Software/Activision)

Best RPG

Disco Elysium(ZA/UM)

Best Strategy Game

Age of Wonders: Planetfall(Triumph Studios/Paradox) because fuck animefags and also because both Anno 1800 and Tropico 6 are solid but tired and offer absolutely nothing new or surprising

Don't give a shit about other categories.

Also all these big event awards are completely worthless. They're just designed to grab your attention and then sell it to advertisers, that's the whole point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom