Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Atchodas

Augur
CDPR just wrote Witcher fan fiction they didnt have to invent the setting or characters from scratch

S.torch

Arbiter
CDPR just wrote Witcher fan fiction they didnt have to invent the setting or characters from scratch

There is no "fanfiction", the games are a separated universe from the novels. Some characters even completly different backgrounds and personalities, they just take a few core elements like any adaptation. Is the same for these games based on D&D, the setting is already made, but the story itself need mastery to work.

Atchodas

Augur
Reading all this stupid talk about BG3 being like twitcher or Dragon Age I remembered this Larian interview about BG3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju12JNh8gJs
at around 8 minute mark they talk about what engine they gonna be using for BG3 and Swen basically says its gonna be next step of their D:OS engine, he says that D:OS was 2.0 of their engine then D:OS2 was 3.0 , Definitive Edition 3.5 and BG3 will be next step (and most likely we will get definitive edition of BG3 some time after release same as D;OS games). This only makes sense considering WoTC were holding off giving rights to BG3 until they saw what Swen and Larian can really accomplish with D:OS2, its safe to assume they gonna continue with their recipe for success.

Last edited:

Atchodas

Augur
Well since you get 99% of your stats while levelling up in D:OS2 technically everything scales with your level there.

Edit : I dont think he meant enemy level scaling or did he :?

Biting sarcasm aside, D:OS engine was pretty good, it's just that the dialogue, plot, storylines, lore, and quests were all so retarded as to take all the fun and immersion out of the games.

If Larian could somehow avoid their retarded attempts at humor, and hire decent writers, and stick to Baldur's Gate-like writing, I guess the game could be good. But that's a lot of ifs, and it's oh so much easier for Swen to design another cat co-op game for his gf.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Did you see the BG3 trailer? The theme looks dark and bloody. I think they got it covered with the no nonsense part.

Atchodas

Augur
Its mentioned plenty of times that they are "working closely and cooperating" with WoTC for this game so no chance WotC allows them to butcher BG for mass production and turn it into "another cat co-op game for his gf" btw cat co-op game for GF's turned out to be one out of very few good new cRPGS released in last decade.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
no chance WotC allows them to butcher BG for mass production.

WoTC are full SJW now though.
And I thought Jeremy Crawford was seemingly one of the big forces behind that, considering Xanathar's Guide and his Twitter shenanigans, yet I noticed in Acquisitions Incorporated as GM that it seems absent from his personality.

Predominantly pressure from Hasbro or what?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Are they going to release any gameplay info this year? I must confess that after D:OS2 I'm rather hyped for Larian because that game surpassed my expectations by a really wide margin. Everything that I found irritating or boring about D:OS1 was properly fixed or redesigned in the sequel.

A D&D game will have different combat mechanics, of course, which is why I'm dying of curiosity. To me right now Larian are the new kings of CRPG.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
WoTC are full SJW now though.

How is the situation with Paizo?

I must confess that after D:OS2 I'm rather hyped for Larian because that game surpassed my expectations by a really wide margin. Everything that I found irritating or boring about D:OS1 was properly fixed or redesigned in the sequel.

A D&D game will have different combat mechanics, of course, which is why I'm dying of curiosity. To me right now Larian are the new kings of CRPG.

I hated DOS2. Everything that i hate about modern RPG philosophies, limit you to one minion, cooldown, archers limited to 13m, mmo like itemization, etc exists on DOS2...

hexer

Its mentioned plenty of times that they are "working closely and cooperating" with WoTC for this game so no chance WotC allows them to butcher BG for mass production and turn it into "another cat co-op game for his gf" btw cat co-op game for GF's turned out to be one out of very few good new cRPGS released in last decade.
It will have integrated co-op from the start and something else I guess - support for gamepad controllers.

Baldur’s Gate 3 will have co-op multiplayer
https://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3-co-op

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
limit you to one minion
One per character (nothing stops you from playing a party of four summoners). In D:OS2 fully buffed minions are very strong. You seem to imply that controlling a swarm of weaklings would be more interesting. How exactly?

"Cooldowns are bad" is just a dogma. People say that but they can never explain why cd/s are so bad. In D:OS2 many cd/s are long enough to make abilities effectively once per encounter. How is this system so different from any other form of resource management?

archers limited to 13m
In most fights you can easily increase range by jumping to high ground. We could have a round of the old "what's better - 13m limit or hit-and-run abuse of sniping?" debate here, of course. But let's just accept that all VG combat systems are imperfect in some way.

mmo like itemization
It's really a matter of taste. I can see how people who dislike such itemization won't like D:OS (and a lot of other games). I don't mind it. Although one of the few bad things I could say about D:OS2 is that many unique items are lackluster and not really unique. That could've been handled better.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
One per character (nothing stops you from playing a party of four summoners). In D:OS2 fully buffed minions are very strong. You seem to imply that controlling a swarm of weaklings would be more interesting. How exactly?

This doesn't look like "weakelings", in fact a Thanadaemon looks far stronger than any dos2 summon

d1wk436vfbh31.jpg

"Cooldowns are bad" is just a dogma. People say that but they can never explain why cd/s are so bad. In D:OS2 many cd/s are long enough to make abilities effectively once per encounter. How is this system so different from any other form of resource management?

I will make a analogy with a molotov

"i ran out of molotovs on my backpack' is a good reason to not be able to use molotovs
"i have infinite molotovs but acn only use one each X seconds" makes no sense.

Cooldowns started with wow and are the WORST and most boring mechanic.

In most fights you can easily increase range by jumping to high ground. We could have a round of the old "what's better - 13m limit or hit-and-run abuse of sniping?" debate here, of course. But let's just accept that all VG combat systems are imperfect in some way.

Enemies can snipe you too. Did you played dark souls? Anor Londo archers are one of the most infamous enemies...

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
WotC allowed Sword Coast Legends to happen...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not only do they not make sense, they encourage an MMO-like "rotation" where you have a most efficient way to use abilities one after the other and you have to constantly juggle a bunch of cooldowns. Make casting times instead. 3-turn CD = 3-turn casting time. That also forces you to think about positioning, whether an enemy can interrupt you, there's an opportunity cost involved (you can cast 3 other less powerful spells in that time for example), more powerful abilities actually make sense and can be balanced now, etc.

Atchodas

Augur
You are implying that channelling a spell for 3 turns is better than 3 turn cool down? Are you fucking insane ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom