Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, resolutely shit, lacking in imagination, uninformed reimagining of, limp-wristed, premature, ill-informed attempt at, talentless fuckfest, recidivistic shitpeddler, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another.
Some more of my favs., Atrocious, juvenile, garbage, trash, convoluted, infested, parasitic, derivative, nonsensical, in-cohesive, pseudo-shakesperean, incoherent mess.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As far as I understand, there are games designed with Stadia in mind that use typical latency hiding tricks you'd see in online games. If things like Stadia were to be the future, this would have to be far more prevalent.

I've read plenty of reactions to Stadia along the lines of "OMG it works!" If people at Cnet, Giant Bomb, PC Gamer, Digital Foundry, etc. can say that shit, what do you think random asshole coming home from a 10 hour work day to fuck around in Assassin's Creed for an hour is going to think? Stadia's business model and launch features suck ass, which is what most mainstream reviews are actually focusing on, but someday this shit will get a strong push without a shitty business model.

DeepOcean

Arcane
There are reports that stuttering and microdelays are annoying on FPS games, so, if this garbage becomes the norm, we can expect even more retarded FPS to cater to people on Stadia.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I didn't realize that you actually have to pay FULL PRICE for the games you want to play. That's absolutely retarded.
I could understand a streaming service where you pay a monthly fee to play a specific catalog of games, maybe a paying a bit more for "new titles"... But paying full price is dumb.

abija

Prophet
As far as I understand, there are games designed with Stadia in mind that use typical latency hiding tricks you'd see in online games. If things like Stadia were to be the future, this would have to be far more prevalent.
What online games do usually is try to give you an instant feedback to your input and then reconcile with the server. That is impossible for stadia. Their only way to hide latency is in long animations and slow/cinematic gameplay.

What online games do usually is try to give you an instant feedback to your input and then reconcile with the server. That is impossible for stadia. Their only way to hide latency is in long animations and slow/cinematic gameplay.

You haven't heard of their new negative latency technology then?
https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/10...zGpRLIXCjXnIvfX_FsviSsKWCJ0GwZ1PsxzpP6RN-w-45

abija

Prophet
Yeah, that's cinematic gameplay. You watch the game play itself. Should be no problem selling that to typical mobile market though.

soulburner

Cipher
The pricing model is ridiculous.
The lag was to be expected, I guess, but based on what I saw about current state of Stadia on youtube, GeForce Now seems to be working much smoother and the input lag, while noticeable, is much less unpredictable.

Last edited:

soulburner

Cipher
Google Stadia fail is good advertising for Xbox Game Streaming
If Microsoft would release xCloud for the PC, it would instantly kill Google Stadia. If it would not be more expensive than Gamepass and contain the same size game library - it would be an instant hit. It would have the same problems all other cloud gaming services have, but at least it would be financially reasonable.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
If Steam released a similar streaming service where you'll be able to play the games from your library AND play them locally if you so desire... That would end all of them

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
If Steam released a similar streaming service where you'll be able to play the games from your library AND play them locally if you so desire... That would end all of them
I mean we can already do that, as long as you have system that can act as a server. Over my holidays I tested out Borderlands & Monster Hunter World from a distance of 900km and the lag was b/w 120-170 ms. I assume a stable connection can mitigate more, Borderlands was barely playable whereas with Monster Hunter World I was hard pressed to notice the lag.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

That's what Geforce NOW does, the Nvidia streaming service. It's been in beta for around 2 years in its current state, but it lets you play your Steam games through their Nvidia Shield android box or a PC if you're registered in the beta. I've had it for a couple of years and it's a shitload better than I'm reading about Stadia. Mind you, I don't play degenerate online games like Destiny 2 on it though.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
So basically an exact replay of the OnLive launch?

Is it just me or was there something odd to the marketing from Google on this. Like they actually stopped giving a shit femtoseconds after green lighting it and it's been travelling on inertia since then.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
There are reports that stuttering and microdelays are annoying on FPS games, so, if this garbage becomes the norm, we can expect even more retarded FPS to cater to people on Stadia.

This is exactly the future of Stadia.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron

This is exactly the future of Stadia.
This sounds optimal for Turn-Based Strategy Games/RPGs. :)
Aren't Stadia games only playable by controller?

No, you can play with M+KB.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I mean we can already do that, as long as you have system that can act as a server. Over my holidays I tested out Borderlands & Monster Hunter World from a distance of 900km and the lag was b/w 120-170 ms. I assume a stable connection can mitigate more, Borderlands was barely playable whereas with Monster Hunter World I was hard pressed to notice the lag.

That's what Geforce NOW does, the Nvidia streaming service. It's been in beta for around 2 years in its current state, but it lets you play your Steam games through their Nvidia Shield android box or a PC if you're registered in the beta. I've had it for a couple of years and it's a shitload better than I'm reading about Stadia. Mind you, I don't play degenerate online games like Destiny 2 on it though.

Guys I mean stream playing the game on their servers like in Stadia. But ALSO have the option to play the game on your pc, normally. I see no reason why Valve wouldn't do that, add an extra subscription for users who want that and there you go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom