Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Non-post apocalyptic sci-fi RPG thread

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
elex and precursors
Elex is post apocalyptic

eeeeeh I found it to be heavier on the sci-fi than most post-apoc settings though. It's not exactly Fallout.

I would have mentioned Planet's Edge and Hard Nova but mondblut was faster.

Also Megatraveller.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/megatraveller-1-the-zhodani-conspiracy-y7
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/megatraveller-2-quest-for-the-ancients-17g

Space Siege, a terrible Dungeon Siege clone that's even less engaging than Dungeon Siege. I liked Dungeon Siege and found Space Siege to be boring. Meh.

Star Control 2 if you think it's an RPG.

The Buck Rogers Gold Box games.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/buck-rogers-countdown-to-doomsday-uc
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/buck-rogers-matrix-cubed-1cn

Alien Fires 2199 AD:

2400 AD, a sci-fi Ultima clone published by Origin.

Ultima II :M

Skyrealms of Jorune: Alien Logic. It's... weird.

Does Robinson's Reqiuem count? You're stranded on a planet inhabited by dinosaurs and shit, so it's more of a survival RPG, but the background is certainly sci-fi.
The sequel, Deus, would qualify too.

B.A.T. is some kind of RPG-adventure hybrid. It's not great, but it's scifi. And I love the visuals.
215317-b-a-t-dos-screenshot-in-a-bar-trying-to-draw-the-girl-s-attention.png

There's also a sequel.

Circuit's Edge is also an adventure-RPG hybrid. Futuristic city, cyberpunk themes, all that classic stuff. Also atmospheric visuals for the time.
3599-circuit-s-edge-dos-screenshot-in-a-hotel-room-with-a-hooker.gif

Sundog: Frozen Legacy for the Atari ST. It's more of a space trading game than an RPG, but it was referred to as an RPG back in the day and people still call it that, so I guess it qualifies.

Spelljammer :M

Spacewrecked: 14 Billion Light Years From Earth is a mediocre first person dungeon crawler set on a spaceship.
206695-spacewrecked-14-billion-light-years-from-earth-dos-screenshot.png

Whale's Voyage and Whale's Voyage 2 are classic step-based first person dungeon crawlers set in space.

Albion is sci-fi fantasy. Basically like the movie Avatar except less gay.

Mars Saga is an ok sci-fi dungeon crawler.

Psionics is a very bad sci-fi dungeon crawler.
psionics_3.png

Sentinel Worlds: Future Magic is a sci-fi RPG where you can have Arnold Schwarzenegger in your party:
sentinel-worlds-i-future-magic_2.gif

I'd consider the Starflight games to be RPGs, too. They're both pretty good for 80s games. Worth a try.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/starflight-94
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/starflight-2-trade-routes-of-the-cloud-nebula-ru

Citadel of Vras is a sci-fi Bard's Tale clone for Amiga. Never really liked Bard's Tale that much so this one is meh for me too.

The New Centurions is a Macintosh-only RPG based on the Realmz engine. Basically Gold Box style world exploration and combat, except not quite as good as Gold Box.
Have fun trying to find a full version of this, though. The guy who made it no longer sells it, and while he made unlock keys available for Realmz and its expansions, I haven't managed to find any for The New Centurions.
https://fantasoft.powweb.com/NC/newcenturions.html

Stellar Tactics is a still in development sci-fi RPG that looks pretty damn good.

Precursors has already been mentioned. It's good.

Dex is a sidescrolling cyberpunk RPG, if that counts.

Does Consortium count as an RPG? If yes, it's a sci-fi RPG.

Galaxy Squad is a sci-fi roguelike.

Iron Seed is kind of an RPG-strategy mix. Mostly, it's weird. Very weird. Definitely worth checking out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I think no one has mentioned Swords of the Stars: The Pit yet?

It also has FPS re-imagining of it called The Pit: Infinity.

Cogmind is another sci-fi roguelike.

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Isn’t Colony Ship going to be pretty much post apocalyptic too? Takes place in the aftermath of a war so severe that crucial knowledge was lost. People inhabit rebuilt areas of the ship. Homemade weapons. Scarcity of pre war tech.

IMO, a big part of the reason why post apocalyptic is so popular is that it makes it possible to have a world with future tech where everything isn’t locked down by a central authority.

V_K

Arcane
I would say System Shock 2 is much more classic sci-fi than cyberpunk, so there's that.
Evolva is not a proper RPG, but you do control a party of characters whom you can develop - and in a very unique way at that, through consuming alien corpses and mutating to replicate their abilities. The highly psychedelic landscapes are an additional bonus.

Deleted Member 16721

This avatar is my Final Form.

But yeah, Anachronox all the way. Funniest RPG ever with the best character in an RPG ever (me.)

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Starpoint Gemini 1-3 and Warlords are RPGish spaceship games (a bit like Space Rangers).

They are hit or miss, though (the combat is not very satsifying, and ships play too similarly).
I had some fun with Starpoint Gemini Warlords, but I felt like I had too little control over my fleet to make the conquest aspect very relevant (also, scaling kind of defeats the point!).

Star Traders: Frontiers is a RPG crew management/roguelite, and a pretty complex one.

I spent quite a long time with it, and still feel somewhat clueless. As all Trese Brothers games, it is very ambitious, and mechanically solid, but it could do better in the presentation department (also, there are like 1 skillcheck made every 30 second or so, which makes it even harder to grasp what is happening).

Drox Operative is a Soldak Action RPG with spaceship. I have not played this one, but their fantasy ones had mediocre combat, but very reactive worlds.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Does Robinson's Reqiuem count? You're stranded on a planet inhabited by dinosaurs and shit, so it's more of a survival RPG, but the background is certainly sci-fi.
The sequel, Deus, would qualify too.

B.A.T. is some kind of RPG-adventure hybrid. It's not great, but it's scifi. And I love the visuals.
215317-b-a-t-dos-screenshot-in-a-bar-trying-to-draw-the-girl-s-attention.png

There's also a sequel.

These were the first games I played that felt like RPG on my Atari STe. They'd better count. BAT had great atmosphere.
I think some builds were unable to complete the game.
It was weird to have NPC that were not visible on the static screens (there were only moving icons of said NPC).
I didn't play the Sequel, but it was very different.

TBH, Robinson Requiem was quite frustrating with its very unclear terrain (it was very hard to know if you were walking on the bridge, or stepping out of it and falling to your death).

Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander:

This one may not completely count as an RPG, as it is a mix of XCOM-ey geoscape + JRPG combat in space, but it is worth mentioning:

I think the game was relatively difficult, and rather good, but the animation times would have been a torture to endure without Cheatengin speedhack.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom