Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half-Life: Alyx - Valve's full-length flagship VR game set between HL1 and HL2

Of course the like/dislike rate is overwhelming positive. Any other company would be accused of greediness and disrespect towards fans.

So far Valve made gamers like:
- Forced client installation on physical games
- DRM
- Lootboxes
- Paying for a license to play games rather than owning them
- Using outdated engines

And now using a flagship franchise to sell peripherals. Next: Team Fortress mobile game. Future generations will study how Valve managed to successful brainwash people.

Don't forget the weird gatekeep of certain games they allow in their store.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Do VR games always have these horrendous floating hands? Seems so immersion-breaking for something going out of its way to be immersive.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The trailer was alright, I don't know if it's the passage of time, but what little interest I had in the Half-Life franchise is mostly gone. And of course they show G-Man to excite the fanboys, we can't be showing games that purely sell on the premise of how good the gameplay is, no. Just pure fanboy association, story, and whatever it is that "music" producers shit out on Fruity Loops.

You also get to play as the most annoying character in the series, so instead of listening to her part of the time her voice will now be in your face ALL the time and from the trailer it doesn't seem like she ever shuts the fuck up.

The way they wrote her in Half Life 2 (you are so amazing Gordon. Wow, that was so great Gordon) made me develop a profound and visceral hatred for Valve. Insulting doesn't even begin to describe the level of insane pandering they shoved into that game.

The fact the gameplay is pretty mediocre didn't help, either.

It's a shame because the art direction of the game was quite solid, probably the best asset it had, but everything else about it just left a bad taste in my mouth and i just have contempt for the millions of NPCs out there who seem to regard this soulless, obviously written by committee piece of pandering garbage as the God damn Citizen Kane of gaming.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Forgot to mention the level of cynicism on their part of FINALLY doing something with this series after fucking all the fans in the ass by refusing to finish it for years JUST to promote this VR shit and for no other reason. And the pandering continues by making Alyx the playable character too, how fucking transparent can they get?

Mojobeard

Augur
I thought the hype was that it's going to be some groundbreaking new VR experience. That they'd fix all the problems the other VR games had.
The thing that would finally make you buy a headset.

But it looks like every other clunky VR game with the same exact two or three gimmicks. Pass.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You also get to play as the most annoying character in the series, so instead of listening to her part of the time her voice will now be in your face ALL the time and from the trailer it doesn't seem like she ever shuts the fuck up.
She was horrible in HL2, but I kind of liked her in Episode 1&2. Also, I always imagined she was modeled after the chick from 1984, you know, short hair no tits.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
By the way, I saw a video of some streamer cuck crying on camera when it was announced. I despise the overreaction from streamers for views, like shouting, crying etc. Those streamers are worse than prostitutes. Prostitutes allegedly have some dignity, unlike those crying streamer cucks.

Mortmal

Arcane
According to IGN the game will be 13-15 hours long.
13-15 hours before vr set ends up collecting dust on my shelves , well worth 1000 euros for vive index or 500 for a oculus rift, is the oculus even enough for this game ? You never know if its fully compatible.. I am really interested by that game, it sounds really great first time ever i want a vr game, but at such price there should be a full line up of exclusives of the same quality to justify it. Left for dead 3 vr for exemple, imagine that with mods and custom maps, the amount of replayability.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
According to IGN the game will be 13-15 hours long.
13-15 hours before vr set ends up collecting dust on my shelves , well worth 1000 euros for vive index or 500 for a oculus rift, is the oculus even enough for this game ? You never know if its fully compatible.. I am really interested by that game, it sounds really great first time ever i want a vr game, but at such price there should be a full line up of exclusives of the same quality to justify it. Left for dead 3 vr for exemple, imagine that with mods and custom maps, the amount of replayability.
In some countries, 1000 euro will get you 13-15 hours with a real life prostitute. Looking yourself in the mirror will probably be easier, too.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I just thought it was funny how you have so little clue about what you are saying, you mistook the "Magic Leap: Creator Edition",

I didn't mistook anything, cretin.
I remembered you bragging about buying whatever shit Oculus came with first that had some retarded name which I didn't remember. Then, I corrected myself. See here:

Ah, right, it was the "development kit".

The only thing that we can get from here is that you bought some useless piece of crap that you still desperately try to defend. Hey, it's not possible that I made a bad purchase, I only buy the best things!
So, again, have you developed anything lately on that development kit?

These are not anywhere close to the statement you made,
They're not? Constant "hurr ur too poor to buy the new shit" is not saying that that the new shit is better than the old shit? Well, in that case it's what I said before "coping that you spent money on garbage".

I know what VR is and what it can do, I like it and will continue to buy any Upgrades offered to the experience I deem worthwhile, and nothing you can say is going to change that.
The butthurt this will cause with VRlets is gonna be amazing, we're off to a really good early start!

Imagine being proud of throwing away money on concentrated decline.
That's all VR is. A gimmick. It will not improve gaming in anyway and has fuck all to do with gaming mechanics. But retards will be proud to spend money on it and defend their decision to death, just like they do with RTX.
Also, would you look at that, it's already had the desired effect:

Would you look at that, putting their own products at the top again. How amazing.
Oh wait, no, that's for sure absolutely legit because Valve is the only honest company in the world. :lol:

Last edited:
The trailer was alright, I don't know if it's the passage of time, but what little interest I had in the Half-Life franchise is mostly gone. And of course they show G-Man to excite the fanboys, we can't be showing games that purely sell on the premise of how good the gameplay is, no. Just pure fanboy association, story, and whatever it is that "music" producers shit out on Fruity Loops.

The way they wrote her in Half Life 2 (you are so amazing Gordon. Wow, that was so great Gordon) made me develop a profound and visceral hatred for Valve. Insulting doesn't even begin to describe the level of insane pandering they shoved into that game.

The fact the gameplay is pretty mediocre didn't help, either.

It's a shame because the art direction of the game was quite solid, probably the best asset it had, but everything else about it just left a bad taste in my mouth and i just have contempt for the millions of NPCs out there who seem to regard this soulless, obviously written by committee piece of pandering garbage as the God damn Citizen Kane of gaming.
Some part of the physics and visual design is honestly about the only thing positive when mentioning Half-Life 2. The levels weren't as memorable nor as good as the first one and the A.I, let's just say that point has already been criticized to hell and back. The "puzzles" were nothing but gimmicks and yes the overly condescending way the world treats you is nothing short of laughable. Alyx as a character is and never was anything special and I remember that she was designed that way to oppose convention of how video game females were portrayed at the time, example being Lara Croft, Joanna Dark and to a lesser cult like extent Bloodrayne.

I have still yet to grasp the psychological understanding of how fanboys think or act. It's as if in their head they create this meme like effect to whichever corporation/group/logo and praise them for whatever little good such corporation have done, despite the contrary. Once they associate the positive mental schema it seems like it is hard for them to break from such thought structure even if you show them proof that such a corporation/group/logo has done nothing to warrant such fealty and praise. They do everything to keep the status quo for whatever reason. I am a fan of many games yet I'm not blind to the shortcomings of the developers and I know that they can make mistakes or even screw up a sequel, I don't hold them to any godlike standard. They are fallible and they can always decline. This is why I abhor all the funny jokes and images/memes that arises when they praise a developer, it seems fake, and I suspect a similar fate is going to happen to CDPR.

Whipped Cream

Savant
Patron
Nevermind.
Valve index costs 5 times my monthly salary.

:negative:

Relevant video:

Although obviously I would never recommend anyone buying a new system for just one game. I was doing a "spring cleaning" last week and the amount of dust sitting on top of my PS4, which I hadn't used in a year, was hilarious. It literally made me sneeze.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nice visual design, but other than that... meh. Prequel isn't exciting (is it ever?), and VR with motion controls means it'll have awkward movement of some kind. Also I just have zero interest in VR, despite how badly Valve wants to force me to do otherwise.

Knowing Valve fans though, this will sell like crazy and foster new "VR is the future of gaming!" articles.

Dexter

Arcane
Although obviously I would never recommend anyone buying a new system for just one game. I was doing a "spring cleaning" last week and the amount of dust sitting on top of my PS4, which I hadn't used in a year, was hilarious. It literally made me sneeze.
Some of the WMR (Windows Mixed Reality) Headsets like Lenovo Explorer or the HP one start at like $130-150, for instance one is available on Amazon for $185 right now: https://www.amazon.com/HP-Mixed-Reality-Headset-Controllers/dp/B077MF8TQ7 and it was available here for $130 New just two days ago before it apparently sold out: https://www.microcenter.com/product/608531/hp-mixed-reality-headset-and-controllers---black
These work perfectly fine and are functional to "play VR" in, more than the OG Vive and they also come with acceptable Motion Controllers. They're not... the best, but you can play all SteamVR titles with them and afaik ReVive also works. It's the equivalent of buying a cheap budget TN monitor for $200 or something instead of the 1440p+ IPS EIZO one or going for OLED and 4K nowadays.

They're like 10% of the HMDs people use on Steam, while the Valve Index at the moment are closer to 5% and the Rift/Rift S are closer to 50%.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
IjPkeIo.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom