Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist
"Investment"

I've noticed that it's something that backers really like to call themselves, "investors”...

- "Sir, what do you do for a living?"
- "You know, I'm sort of a big investor in video game development industry, I sit my ass in front of Steam and just purchase a bunch of fucking early access games, hoping that what I already paid for eventually gets finished.”

The community around this project is just so damn weird.

Perkel

Arcane

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stellar Tactics

You beautiful fucker, you found nice game. Thanks mate.
Looks really fucking nice and has turn based combat !
Though i will play it later, i binge currently MTG arena.
Its REALLY good-

Amazing that one dude is doing this. Best earl yaccess game ive ever owned.

Will wait for full release, hate early access (aside from Factorio)
Dude ain't a nobody either, worked on Might & Magic and all that, I think.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Stellar Tactics

You beautiful fucker, you found nice game. Thanks mate.
Looks really fucking nice and has turn based combat !
Though i will play it later, i binge currently MTG arena.
Its REALLY good-

Amazing that one dude is doing this. Best earl yaccess game ive ever owned.

Will wait for full release, hate early access (aside from Factorio)
Dude ain't a nobody either, worked on Might & Magic and all that, I think.

Bought Star Valor, Transcendence and Void Express they are all made by either sole developer or very small team but it shows they were made by people who put heart and have passion about making games, while Roberts was always a hack making games to get rich and live the life of Hollywood celebrity, people should not give him a cent after Freelancer debacle and this abortion of Wing Commander movie but normies gonna norm.

hello friend

Arcane
Which one do you like the best? I lost interest in Starsector after a while, felt like I was trying to extract fun from it but every lode dried up quick. At every turn I was comparing it to Transcendence, and in the end I realised I'd rather be playing that instead. Haven't tried the other ones.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Which one do you like the best? I lost interest in Starsector after a while, felt like I was trying to extract fun from it but every lode dried up quick. At every turn I was comparing it to Transcendence, and in the end I realised I'd rather be playing that instead. Haven't tried the other ones.

Void Expense is much more user friendly and prettier but bit shallower than Transcendence which has best music and lore, Star Valor is still in early access and have no story besides tutorial system but I like the game-play and ships configuration the most. You can buy all of them those costs 10-15 Shekels and are often in sale too so you can have 4-5 games like those in price of one AAA title not to mention SC Ship. The're also 3D games being done but Commissar is not fond of 3D genre in general there is entire list of titles worth checking in Star Sector thread Comrade.

Data4

Arcane
This game...

I swear to God, I hate it and yet I still hold out hope for the idea of it. After the first hangar module released drog-knows-how-long-ago, I poked around in it to see if walking around my ship was worth a fap. It was alright, but hardly anything to write home about. Then I just completely lost interest. Not butthurt or looking for a refund or anything, just... you know, if there's no THERE there, might as well just move on to something else and see if it surprises me later. It did teach me to never catch Kickstarter hype again. If a game is good upon release, reviews favorably by real people (fuck the journos), then I'll consider parting with the cash. Never again will I buy into "what could be".

Nevertheless, I had a couple of ships to my name, so the door was always open to take another look. I did this past weekend. Off the bat, I'm just going to say that it's virtually unplayable. Poorly optimized, and while my computer isn't the latest and greatest, it's not a potato and can handle most new releases turned up to 11. Despite all that, I figured I'd give it a fair shake. Not all areas are a slideshow, and the more egregious ones just need me to pause all movement until all the assets load, and then I can get around reasonably well. I've no interest in the Arena Commander or FPS modules, but I did want to check out some of the other PU mission types.

I'd read that the best way to do the FPS mining is to pick an investigation mission, which consists of ABC insurance company wanting you to go to N planet or moon and look for a missing client in a cave. This way, you can go to a cave that doesn't show up on the radar for other people (not instanced-- it's just a random cave), and your chances of dealing with goon squad or whatever are minimal. I have to say, the caves are pretty well done. They can go pretty deep and branch off in multiple directions, so having a few chemlights come in handy for trying to find your way out. Along the way, you can pick up a decent amount of ores, so long as you're equipped with a backpack of some kind, which is available in some of the armor sets.

I also picked up a couple of delivery missions, and I really enjoyed them. They're not fancy. Fly to some outpost in the middle of nowhere on a planet or moon, pick up the cargo, then fly to another outpost somewhere to deliver it. What sold it for me is that despite all the Bad Shit™ that exists about RSI, some of their developers are really good at things like environments. The ambiance of some of those places is fantastic. There was a level of immersion, where the act of finding a suitable landing spot for my Freelancer, and picking my way through trash and rubble heaps to the pick-up location, all while wind and dust blew around, really gave me a sense of being there. If they can pull off VR with that kind of atmosphere, it'll be amazing.

But, not all was rosy. The game frequently crashed, which resets your character to the last official base you landed on and rendering any progress void. It was frustrating, but not for a lack of earned credits. Money and anything you buy with it are wiped with each update, so I wasn't so much interested in the acquisition of more stuff, rather the gameplay of going through the motions.

Make no mistake, this thing is as rough as it gets, and whether they actually finish it is anyone's guess. But in all honesty, when I allowed myself to set aside my critical factor and just enjoy what I could, I found myself actually having a decent time.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Get ready men, it's that time of year again. CitizenCon 2949. Christ Robert's keynote speech will be Saturday morning, bright and early at 8:00 AM EDT, streaming live on Twitch.

This will also continue the tradition started last year. Simultaneous with CitizenCon, there where will be an in-game ship expo that you can visit to test fly ships for free.

IAE-Calendar-V11-01.jpg

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Star Citizen has become like those train simulators, but with ships. What kind of weirdo do you have to be to get excited for fucking ships.

Morkar Left

Can somebody tell how stable playing SC acutally is right now? How is the connection? What about clitches?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom