Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Combat makes sense in a lot of situations, dialogue in a way more reduced set.

Just tell 1939 Nazi Germany that war is a bad idea. You'd get laughed at. I think the British tried this, and later Churchill mocked them for this.

Not stopping evil people when you can is being a total cuck and disgrace.

Just go and tell Raistlin, "no, I don't think it's a good idea that you become an all-powerful god".

LudensCogitet

Learned

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Would you agree that combat is the most important aspect of an RPG?

A game with no combat cannot be an RPG. At it's core, fighting is the most primal way of solving problems.

I thought the most primal way was pretending they don't exist.

That's actually a highly sophisticated method. Animals fight, only humans are capable of self-deception.

You've obviously never had a dog.

LudensCogitet

Learned

A game with no combat cannot be an RPG. At it's core, fighting is the most primal way of solving problems.

I thought the most primal way was pretending they don't exist.

That's actually a highly sophisticated method. Animals fight, only humans are capable of self-deception.

You've obviously never had a dog.
I have actually. He was a very wise and good boi though, so maybe my evidence is merely anecdotal. :)

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The most important aspect in a RPG is the choice. Choice how to make your avatar, choice about your build, choice how to approach obstacles the game throws at you. In a good rpg you should can approach level in many ways, including combat.
Yes combat is very important, but a game without combat can still be an rpg, but a game without choices to make can' t be one

Combat offers lots of choices, you lousy nimrod. And it doesn't preclude chargen and building any more than non-combat choices do.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Everything after finding Vhailor and up to the Fortress is eh.

The best part of PS:T is non-linear questing in the Hive + catacombs delve (dead nations, drowned nations, warrens of thought).

catacombs.jpg

After that, the campaign is rubbish.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Pretty much. The late game areas are much less memorable and seem somewhat rushed.

Still, Vhailor is a great character and I think that his link to TNO's past lives makes for a good companion backstory. Shame that you can only recruit him so late.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I think Nordom comes too late as well. Or not at all. I mean, not many players would even find him. And he's stuck in some dumb parody of a dungeon crawler (as if they needed another one, because they already parodied Diablo-likes through Undersigil).

Funny thing is, in Curst Prison and other subsequent areas, PS:T has its fair share of hack n slash, just mobs of shit charging the party.

Combat makes sense in a lot of situations, dialogue in a way more reduced set.

Just tell 1939 Nazi Germany that war is a bad idea. You'd get laughed at. I think the British tried this, and later Churchill mocked them for this.

Not stopping evil people when you can is being a total cuck and disgrace.

Just go and tell Raistlin, "no, I don't think it's a good idea that you become an all-powerful god".
It's inevitable and it's human nature, when two opposite views collide only the strongest and smartest will survive. At least we have tried to reduce human death via assassination whenever possible.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Disco Elysium is an RPG with almost no combat. The problem is that usually it is the different combat builds that offer replayability and doing something similar through dialogues and C&C is very difficult, eg. Age of Decadence type of narrative C&C.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Why is there such a dramatic tonal shift toward the end of a game which, up until that point, presents itself as being a choice-heavy, interactive storybook? It was jarring for my charisma/intellect-driven Nameless Juan, and more importantly: no longer fun.

Good. I'm glad the game's poor/rushed design awakened you from your storyfag slumber. I'm glad the game threw hordes of hard-hitting mobs at TNO in those latter stages, and didn't even think to give Mage TNO/Dak'kon access to an AoE immobilizer such as Web. I'm glad the storyfags suffered, clueless as they are to simple AD&D rules such as THAC0, AC and ApR. And I'm glad they ran from NPC to NPC for their walls of text, all the while the mobs were hot on their heels and mad as hell, hacking at their backs.

Overall, I'm glad.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm glad the game threw hordes of hard-hitting mobs at TNO in those latter stages, and didn't even think to give Mage TNO/Dak'kon access to an AoE immobilizer such as Web.
Well there are some crowd control spells
https://torment.fandom.com/wiki/Chromatic_Orb
https://torment.fandom.com/wiki/Pacify
https://torment.fandom.com/wiki/Horror
https://torment.fandom.com/wiki/Ignus'_Terror
https://torment.fandom.com/wiki/Hold_Undead
https://torment.fandom.com/wiki/Confusion

But yeah lack of traditional reliables like Web and Fireball are Avellone's fault, he didn't want them in the game along with swords.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I know what spells are in PS:T, Roguey. Please let me throw softballs at storyfaggots in peace.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
The most important aspect in a RPG is the choice. Choice how to make your avatar, choice about your build, choice how to approach obstacles the game throws at you. In a good rpg you should can approach level in many ways, including combat.
Yes combat is very important, but a game without combat can still be an rpg, but a game without choices to make can' t be one

Combat offers lots of choices, you lousy nimrod. And it doesn't preclude chargen and building any more than non-combat choices do.
Good point. Combat can come with multiple approach and styles, like skillsets, weapons with different moveset, lethal and non lethal combat, etc.
I was talking more about games where combat is monotone and with little width, like Sekiro. I can't consider that game rpg because lack of choices in gameplay ( even if there are some different ending, so some rpg components are there)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom