Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half-Life: Alyx - Valve's full-length flagship VR game set between HL1 and HL2

Dexter

Arcane
IjPkeIo.png
I'm a play through Black Mesa when the Final Chapters are finally out of Beta and they can hopefully come out of Early Access (I never played the first Half Life more than a few hours even back in the day), hopefully before Alyx is out: https://steamcommunity.com/app/362890/discussions/0/1643170269569170506/

Then I'm gonna play through Alyx on the Index.

And I still have some really faint hopes that these guys will get some fire under their asses to hurry up a bit with their Half Life 2 VR Mod, given the release of this: https://www.reddit.com/r/hlvr/

I played through like the first few levels of Half Life 2 on my DK1 back in the day, but didn't want to "ruin" the experience for myself by playing through all of it, since it wasn't entirely ready and I heard there was some trouble with the car sections and whatnot and I was hoping Valve will improve on it and release it officially once the Rift and Vive were out, instead they for some reason removed VR Support from it altogether and never put it back.
:negative:

Would be nice being able to play through both in VR back to back.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Of course the like/dislike rate is overwhelming positive. Any other company would be accused of greediness and disrespect towards fans.

So far Valve made gamers like:
- Forced client installation on physical games
- DRM
- Lootboxes
- Paying for a license to play games rather than owning them
- Using outdated engines

And now using a flagship franchise to sell peripherals. Next: Team Fortress mobile game. Future generations will study how Valve managed to successful brainwash people.

110122.jpg

PrettyDeadman

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
After receving a "citiation needed" from Infitron on my previous post I did some research and it appears that EA's UEFA Champions League 2006–2007 game contained lootboxes (in the form of trading cards), so Valve were not the first to introduce them to western non-mobile gaming when they introduced them to TF2 in September 2010. Still, their monetization practices in recent games has been disgusting, so my point still stands.
Even better, the guy who spearheaded them, Andrew Willson, became the current CEO of Electronic Arts.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nevermind.
Valve index costs 5 times my monthly salary.

where do you live that monthly salary is $200 / mo ? i live in indonesia, my part time college job paid more than that
it's not $200.

Valve Index isn't actually available in Russia. Google bamboozled me by showing fake numbers.
Not official, but still ->
https://vr-zone.ru/valve-index/
Closer to 2000-2500 USD.
Ah i saw the us price as $1000 bundled, but yeah it isnt available here too and the price is marked up to absurd level if you want to get it. Like twice US retail bruh

PrettyDeadman

Nevermind.
Valve index costs 5 times my monthly salary.

where do you live that monthly salary is $200 / mo ? i live in indonesia, my part time college job paid more than that
it's not $200.

Valve Index isn't actually available in Russia. Google bamboozled me by showing fake numbers.
Not official, but still ->
https://vr-zone.ru/valve-index/
Closer to 2000-2500 USD.
Ah i saw the us price as $1000 bundled, but yeah it isnt available here too and the price is marked up to absurd level if you want to get it. Like twice US retail bruh
There is another offering which is slightly more than $1000 https://vr-zone.ru/valve-index-headset/
Not sure what's the difference between valve-index and valve-index-headset, considering second one also has controllers.

Cross

Arcane
An Alyx-centered prequel is the most transparently lazy and safe idea they could have went with for a new Half-Life game (and since it's a prequel, it has the added bonus of being inconsequential by design). I don't for a second believe anyone at Valve feels any passsion or enjoyment about making a new Half-Life game, or single-player games in general (other than as a tool to sell VR hardware). But that has been obvious for more than a decade now.

Last edited:

Zariusz

Arbiter
That wouldn't really square with G-man's shenanigans throughout the whole series, especially since he was always dropping hints about some 'employers' of which we know nothing. The series kept hinting at some grand inter-dimensional conspiracy happening behind the curtains, so if they make sequels they'll have to do something with it.

The best fan theory that I've heard for what the G-man's true motivations are is that his "employers" are an alien civilization at war with the Combine and that the G-man caused the resonance cascade and the resulting invasion of earth in an attempt to divert the Combine's attention so that his "employers" had a slightly better fighting chance. This would explain both why he caused the resonance cascade in HL1 and why he later guided Freeman to destroy the Citadel in HL2.

Thus the last Half-Life game would end with the player travelling back in time to Black Mesa to end the resonance cascade, leading to a boss fight against the G-man. When the G-man looses he explains his true motivations and the player is given a chocie with two options: 1. Kill the G-man and himself, prevent the resonance cascade from happening and saving earth. The events of the Half-Life series never happen, but the Combine are implied to eventually conquer most of the known multiverse in the long run or 2. Not prevent the resonance cascade from happening, the G-man's employers get a slightly better fighting chance, but earth is doomed. Gordon gets "hired" by the G-man to spend the rest of eternity helping him fight the Combine.

Thats the best ending I can think of, but of course, its pretty much impossible to end the franchise in a way thats going to be completely satisfying to everyone.

Personally though, I do suspect that you're right in that Valve are just making it up as they go along.

It kinda reminds me that FPS about time traveling commando in world dominated by soviets because of some soviet experiment. I think that Mandalore reviewed this game but im not sure.

Egosphere

Arcane
broke: lift weights, earn money, chase girls
bespoke: choke yourself in the toilet and fall into puddle of your own cum whilst wearing a bucket on your head

Venser

Erudite

New interview with the original voice actress. She revealed some lines in the ending were improve.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom