Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codexians what is best in RPG?

barghwata

Savant
Meaningful character building and progression; your character build has to have a deep impact on different aspects of the gameplay (combat , dialogue, interactions with the environment etc.....) making every playthrough different from the other depending on what type of character you chose.

Gregz

Arcane
While you were playing the cRPG, did 5 hours pass before you thought to check what time it is?

Which game made you do this?

My Absolute favorites like Warband, Bloodlines, JA2, Diablo II w/ Median XL mod, Borderlands, Zangband, Master of Magic, The Bard's Tale 1, Wasteland, Knights of the Chalice, X-Com, Sid Meier's Pirates, Everquest, WoW, etc.

laclongquan

Arcane
The answer to this question is very very simple.

While you were playing the cRPG, did 5 hours pass before you thought to check what time it is?
No because I am a responsible adult who doesn’t usually have the time to play games for five hours a day.
:negative:

Dont be silly! We obviously mean about "trying half an hour before sleep and end up playing until 5AM". Responsible mean nothing if you dont even remember the time.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Would have sucked if op went through the trouble of coloring that fresh oc for us and nobody responded. I think that says a lot about us, that we help others feel good about themselves.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Since an RPG is a combination of several systems, it is best is when all of these are well-made. You can have one great system, but if the rest is shit, the game will be shit too.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
STORY

Anybody that says different, is a massive decline enabler.
I have spoken.

I say MURDER is more important

killing endless mobs of trash really fosters the right mindset to appreciate RPGs

Last edited:

Atchodas

Augur
Character building and challenges you face with your character build ( in other words COMBAT )

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
That moment when you've managed to win a really tough fight and you are going through their drops and yes... it's all garbage. You did it for nothing. Nothing.

Just like real life.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The ability to roleplay an absolute asshole who has a chance to be redeemed by true love, but ultimately rejects it in favor of space cocaine and dies in a pointless shootout with mole people.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I see that now people are moving the goalpoasts, since the c&c meme has beeen debunked more and more.

Now RPGs are reduced down to being about making any "choice", apparently. An RPG lets me choose what gender I play! It lets me choose what button I press, lets me choose what weapon I kill enemies with! "RPGs are about choice because I choose what to do! I can go left or right! I can choose what armor I wear...".

Absolutely laughable... you can say that about anything. This is a gross stance to take in this conversation and it's downright insulting to the people who care about this subject.

Anything you do is about choice. All games are filled with choices. It is the most meaningless reduction and oversimplification I have ever encountered when talking about RPGs, a new high (or low) in the c&c meme, and I advise for c&c meme'ers to stop using this over-simplification as it will eventually destroy their position. Just a little bit of friendly advice.

howlingFantods

Learned
I see that now people are moving the goalpoasts, since the c&c meme has beeen debunked more and more.

Now RPGs are reduced down to being about making any "choice", apparently. An RPG lets me choose what gender I play! It lets me choose what button I press, lets me choose what weapon I kill enemies with! "RPGs are about choice because I choose what to do! I can go left or right! I can choose what armor I wear...".

Absolutely laughable... you can say that about anything. This is a gross stance to take in this conversation and it's downright insulting to the people who care about this subject.

Anything you do is about choice. All games are filled with choices. It is the most meaningless reduction and oversimplification I have ever encountered when talking about RPGs, a new high (or low) in the c&c meme, and I advise for c&c meme'ers to stop using this over-simplification as it will eventually destroy their position. Just a little bit of friendly advice.

You're acting like I was trying to define what an RPG is; I was not.
"Downright insulting to those who care about the subject" huh? Isn't it insulting to imply that I don't care about RPGs?
You say that I'm being reductionist but in reality you're being reductionist about choices in RPGs: "It lets me choose what button I press".
I like RPGs that give you more freedom in how you approach quests, char development, etc...
Forgive me if I don't have the time to write every little detail about what that constitutes.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Level 287 rats with 1million HP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom