Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Realms

v1rus

Arcane
Anyone played it?

Tried it back when i was a kid, and naturally, had no standards. Replayed it couple of months ago, and it was surprisingly fun. Kinda easy tho. The team behind it, Liquid Entertainment, also made War of the Ring, and as such, both games share certain similarities. Was pretty much one of those "has enough of the same so its not completley new, and enough of different so it ain't completely old".

A horse of course

It was kinda Warcraft 3 before Warcraft 3 (some reviewers slammed WotR for "ripping off" WC3 :lol: ) - beautiful graphics and animations and very heavily story driven. I liked the ability to change the story somewhat too. Never played the prequel (Rise of the Wolf Clan or something?)

I bought a copy of WotR on ebay early this year but got bored by about the 3rd or 4th mission.

v1rus

Arcane
It was kinda Warcraft 3 before Warcraft 3 (some reviewers slammed WotR for "ripping off" WC3 :lol: ). Beautiful graphics and animations and very heavily story driven. I liked the ability to change the story somewhat too. Never played the prequel (Rise of the Wolf Clan or something?)

Winter of the Wolf. Quite fun too, adds a couple of fun new units and heroes.

And ye, its quite freaking good. The whole "choose what you want to attack" system added a new, much needed, layer to the story. While the story content itself might be trite now, its definitely well done, and that deserves respect.

"I am Kenji, Lord of the Serpent Clan, and my ancestor broke the world." Boss as fuck.

Like most people, I had no idea you could just attack the peasants and side with the Serpents, discovering that was one of those beautiful "HOLY SHIT, THIS GAME IS WAY BIGGER THAN I THOUGHT" moments.

Loved the whole art direction, especially how all four different clans were based on Asian culture, and yet, different. The unit production system was also a breath of fresh air. I also liked how the peasants go through the sex reassignment surgery by singing when they train to become Geishas.

The V.O. was also quite good, not on the "Need a light?" level, but awesome nonetheless.

Still, concept/unit art is _teh_shite_ in this game.

latest

latest

catfood

AGAIN
The controls drag it down to be honest. Pretty much every unit has a special ability and in the midst of battle it's very difficult to give precise orders. The game doesn't even have an active pause iirc. Shame, because otherwise this would have truly been a landmark RTS. It's still worth a playthrough though. The story, while cheesy, is still great, and you have a branching campaign so you can replay it multiple times and get different scenarios and endings. The roster of factions and units is large and they all feel unique thanks to the training mechanic. So, yeah, a good game all in all. Definitely one of the last good RTS's, and one of the most unique ones at that.

v1rus

Arcane
While we are on the topic, whatever happened to RTS's? There were tons of them up to 2006 or so, and then, nothing.

grudgebringer

While we are on the topic, whatever happened to RTS's? There were tons of them up to 2006 or so, and then, nothing.

the xbox 360 happened - RTS games don't play well on consoles.
Not only consoles, though. The genre itself became pretty stagnant at the time. By and large, Westwood were disbanded and partially became EA LA. Cavedog made a one time sporadic success with Total Annihilation. Bitmap bros were never the same as they were in mid 90s. Ensemble were lost after Microsoft took control over them. And so on and so on.
Blizzards have tried to innovate the genre with Warcraft 3, but it was practically a swan song for it.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I never played it back in the day but got in on GOG,pretty good game that never got the recognition it deserved

A horse of course

I dunno, Battle Realms got a fair bit of recognition on release. It was just overshadowed by Warcraft 3 being released a few months later. Good game but hardly revolutionary or anything.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
*ahem*

https://gamingph.com/2019/11/battle...el-castillo-for-the-game-franchise-interview/

Battle Realms Steam Page is Up and Future Plan of Ed Del Castillo for the Game Franchise (Interview)
Written by Erwin Bantilan

Good news to everyone! The Steam page for Battle Realms Winter of the Wolf is now up and running on Steam, plus we got an exclusive interview with the Founder of Liquid Entertainment, Edward Del Castillo; about the future plan of the Battle Realms franchise such as possibilities of MOBA eSports, Battle Realms remake, Battle Realms 2 and the trilogy.

Last week, the announcement of the Community Manager of Battle Realms, KoMiKoZa became a talk of the town in social media, many fans were excited about the release of Battle Realms on Steam.

The game page is now up and running on Steam as Battle Realms (+ Winter of the Wolf). The game will support up to 1600 x 1200 resolution and support Windows 10. The online feature of the game is powered with Remote Play Together of steam.

The estimated early access release date of the game is by December 3, 2019.

Interview with the Game Creator, Ed Del Castillo
In our interview with Ed Del Castillo, we asked a few questions about the Steam version and what the fans could expect when the game is released in the public.

GamingPH: Will the Battle Realms Steam version will be compatible with the modern OS like Windows 10, etc..?

Ed Del Castillo: Yes.

GamingPH: Is it available in Steam for MAC as well? if not, any plans?

Ed Del Castillo: The only PC right now, but we would like to make a Mac version :) I’m a Mac user now also

GamingPH: The GOG version currently has a problem with multiple monitors, and in order to run the game, players need to disable the other monitors to make it work. Is the Steam version will work with multiple monitors connected to the system?

Ed Del Castillo: It should be fully compatible, the programmer was developing on 2 screens and never had a problem playing the game once the work was done.

GamingPH: What is the maximum resolution for the steam version? will it support 1080p or 4K?

Ed Del Castillo: Right now we are limited to 1600 x 1200 but we are looking to expand this.

GamingPH: The online version? Is BR Steam using the “Remote Play Together” of steam? or it has a dedicated server?

Ed Del Castillo: If by “Remote Play Together” you are referring to P2P, then yes, it’s P2P. That means that the lobby creator will host the online match, it is not a client / server setup.

Future Plan of Battle Realms Franchise
We also asked their future plan on the Battle Realms video game franchise including the possibilities of a remake of the original Battle Realms, the BR2, BR3, and a MOBA eSports.

GamingPH: The Battle Realms Steam version announcement becomes viral and talk of the town, not just in the Philippines but overseas. With that, the game will surely get tons of support for any new release of the game. Do you have plans to release a Battle Realms 2? or a full remake of the original game?

Ed Del Castillo: I have lots of plans. The game was originally conceived as a trilogy. As support allows, I’m planning a full remake of the game, the origin story of the Lotus clan – Lair of the Lotus, as well as BR2 and BR3. There is so much great story for the players to play.

GamingPH: Are you considering a Battle Realms MOBA game? or an Esports of this game?

Ed Del Castillo: Once upon a time we even considered making a game around the Wolf Clan sport – Wolfball. It’s fair to say that nothing is off the table. Battle Realms is a world not just a game and lots can happen in that world.

GamingPH: What are your future plans for Battle Realms?

Ed Del Castillo: Step 1 is to reintroduce it to the world. Step 2 is to update everything to today’s quality bar. Beyond that, the sky is the limit. I still love the Battle Realms so much and can’t wait for people to get a chance to play in that world again.

That’s it! So, Battle Realms is indeed real and some of the assumptions of the public are finally been answered! Right now, what you can do is wait for the release, add the game to your Steam wishlist and give as much as full support to the game.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Ed Del Castillo is a talented liar. He kept promising us BR2 for over a decade, but "it just never worked out", promptly making up excuses and blaming his team members for the failure to deliver. Never, for once, did he take personal responsibility for ruining Liquid Entertainmen or failing to secure publisher funds.

Straight from the Steam page description:

Battle Realms is considered by many to be the best RTS games ever made. Back when it was released in 2001, it caused a many month delay of WarCraft III. The staff at Blizzard played Battle Realms and agreed that it was better then their current version of their game.

That's right, Blizzard must have been trembling in fear from this completely unknown studio. The narcissism is astonishing.

That being said, BR is some of the best RTS out and you should play it, despite Ed's arrogance.

Gerrard

Arcane
Battle Realms is considered by many to be the best RTS games ever made. Back when it was released in 2001, it caused a many month delay of WarCraft III. The staff at Blizzard played Battle Realms and agreed that it was better then their current version of their game.

That's right, Blizzard must have been trembling in fear from this completely unknown studio. The narcissism is astonishing.
Doesn't change the fact that W3 ripped off this game something fierce.

Silly Germans

Was this the game where you had your people with rice ? As low as my morals standards go that's inhumane. They should have added an option to feed them with meat or gold, or any other proper diet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom