Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

biggestboss

Liturgist
Now I have to decide if I'm going to play Pokemon or Grimoire during my lunch break.

Actually, I'm going to play Pokemon at work and Grimoire at home because I doubt Cleve has implemented cloud saves and it'll be easier to explain to coworkers why I'm playing Pokemon instead of something that looks like it was made in 1986.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
well you can easily transport grimoire on a thumb drive since it's trivially small in terms of size

Dorateen

Arcane
Grimoire V3 is indeed released.

P2dLEng.jpg

The train of incline keeps on rolling.

GandGolf

Augur
Remember when you were little and your parents used to drive you deep into the nature reserve and leave you there on a promontory with a canteen and a snickers bar? Remember how you used to cry and ask God why this was happening to you?

Trust me, your folks had their reasons.

You should be ashamed of yourself for doing that to poor Cooper. Leaving him in the outback to fight off dingos and cassowaries and poisonous snakes and spiders and other venomous critters. Why would you do that to your only son?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I see now why the game was coordinatedly review bombed on steam. They weren't actually reviewing the game at all, these people (if you can even call them that) were reviewing Cleve, because he made them THAT butthurt.

Martyr

Arcane
I see now why the game was coordinatedly review bombed on steam. They weren't actually reviewing the game at all, these people (if you can even call them that) were reviewing Cleve, because he made them THAT butthurt.
as if the people who review bombed Grimoire could even make it past the character generation!
they'd need a brain for that.
and experience with RPGs.
but they've got neither. all they have got is their leftist political agenda and their eternal butthurt.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
cleve's a eccentric character but he's *our* eccentric character and that's perfectly fine. nothing wrong with that

Gunnar

Arbiter

This is one of Cleves many super powers. With one post he can destroy a persons soul and turn them into a sad and ruined form of life, condemned to butthurt bitchitude forever.

SevenSidedDice

Learned
Grimoire was my drug of choice for three months. I don't even drink coffee.

There are so many incredible memories associated with it, like Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, which I used to listen to while playing. Then there's my specific way of identifying with the party members and they many ways I made Galen persevere, and they way I used to try and sit to make the hours of gameplay bearable in the morning. It was my first blobber, and I haven't really played many video games. Grimoire is the only video game I have put 100+ hours into. I put 50 hours into N++, and that's because it was really addictive. The next three would be Bastion, Transistor and Audiosurf, around 20 hours each. Haven't really played any other video games.

I am scared of playing this video game. V3 is enticing me. I remember when 2019 started, I thought I might try out grimoire now that the blog is rip for a while. I started at the end of January and I have no idea where the next three months went. I am still reluctant to listening to the Brandenburg Concertos, because they remind me of the game. I think I put one of the concertos (the fourth, I think) on by accident back in mid-August. Suddenly my head was flooded with visions of the turn mechanism, eerie sensations that brought me closer to return, the faces of my party members and the way they walked on insane terrain and the lack of any guarantees, whether in a castle, being asked to rescue a princess, or walking in very pretty forests, or fighting aliens. I remembered the Owl and the Baby, the Kroondegraaf machine and the way I put the wind-up owl on the nest. All of this, and more, flashed at once and haunted my dreams for the next three days, even as I ate coffee out of desperation and my life started resembling something out of "A Nightmare on Elm Street" but with an amazing game made by a genial guy instead of a murderer with scissors for hands.

I was a filthy cheater, I admit it. I saved a map of Grimoire I found and consulted it for directions, and used to highlight every area that I completed using GIMP. I still have that .xcf on my desktop. I don't really have anything else on my desktop.

I remember Cleve's warning in the video, and I am sad to tell you, it came true. People started asking about me during those three months, and more than a few were genuinely surprised at me having the gall to call them friends after my cold shoulder. To be honest, I remember nothing except grimoire from those three months. As to whether that story was a warning or something in jest or just entertainment, I don't know. There's more to Cleve than meets the eye and I'll be the first to say that anyone who says he really "gets" Cleve has like a couple of shelves left to read for context.

Would I do this all over? Would I spend my time playing this video game, effectively erase three months from my life and then come whine about it on the codex where people are going to call me a r*tard just for writing this? Maybe they'll even question me thinking about the game, thinking I'm probably an insane idiot who somehow got a phone in his hands and managed to vomit gibberish. Grimoire does not haunt me anymore, but I'd be lying if I said that it doesn't take me for a five-minute (minimum!) spin in my own head whenever I am (un?)fortunate enough to think about it.

Yes, yes I would.

mondblut

Arcane
There are so many incredible memories associated with it, like Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, which I used to listen to while playing. Then there's my specific way of identifying with the party members and they many ways I made Galen persevere, and they way I used to try and sit to make the hours of gameplay bearable in the morning. It was my first blobber, and I haven't really played many video games.

Welcome to our '92, boy. Few get to know the feeling. :salute:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Well the Samhain Horror is impossible right now so I decided to pay a visit back to the Black Lich. The first time I found him he destroyed my party, kept summoning shit and retreating while draining to heal and killed everyone. Now I'm back after finding new weapons and exploring the rest of the dungeons his connected to, and I fucking obliterated his ass. Hold undead immobilized him first round and the new polearms I found in the vanguard warehouse dropped his life without losing a single party member. Sic semper tyrannis!

edit:
I got lucky on a reroll and was able to get through the Samhain Horror without him instantly killing my necromancer so I could summon max level undead, and prevent him from summoning his own bullshit the second turn. Into the Crescent Wilderness! I did not realize how addicting the game would get at this point, now that I have the freedom to explore whatever direction I want, I've been unable to do anything else but just one more map. I've been playing Grimoire almost nonstop the past 3 days, please send help.

I've gone the direction of Waterport and the open ended exploration is fantastic. I would have to say the greatest strength of Grimoire for me so far is in its adventuring. There is nothing quite like the feeling of filling out another map and discovering new locations in Hyperborea. In this regard, it is almost impossible for the game to get stale because as long as there are undiscovered places, there is always something new to keep the game fresh and exciting. The combat has even hit its stride I think, while fighting these Naga enemies in the Bahomet. They don't have any of this nonsense one hit ability but they do enough damage that I have to have party members dedicated to healing or CC on the occasion to prevent deaths, which makes it feel enjoyable and challenging.

Last edited:

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
The original effects of the SJW cuck blitz of high pitched squealing hummitude have gradually dissipated as their feeble brains found some other outrage to attend to.

There seem to be some rumours around that Grimoire is finally arriving on GOG!

Thanks for forgiving GOG of their previous support of the SJW decline, Cleve. I've already bought your game on Itch.io but I want to buy a copy there as well.

May the Golden Baby fly in DRM-free Incline forever!!

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom