Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Xeon

Augur
First day there I tried to sight see the monastery as well to see where things are, went to the kitchen and I got the red type of trespassing, immediately got out but people saw me and complained, I got stopped later by the older dudes and taken to jail for a day, that was kinda my first day. At least it helped me immediately see the quests related to the older guys drinking gambling so not complaining much.

For Pious,
Since I was investigating, I didn't tell anyone I was searching for someone just in case it mattered and it ended up spooking them or something. Just did quests and talked to everyone about everything. After Lucas told me about Andrew or something lying about his home town then I went to talk to Pious.

overly excitable young man

So finally i have finished it:

Exploration and all is nice. Great medieval world to discover. They seem to really have taken a lot of work on them to make everything somewhat realistic.
The love to detail is extremely high in the monestary, churches, castles and mills. Even little stuff like the ovens in the houses are done great.

Quests are hit and miss.
Good stuff: The House of God, Waldensians, Aquarius,
Boring: Tough Love, Lost in Translation, New Herbarium

A lot of running and riding around. But somehow i didn't find it boring. Horseriding with heavy armor is still fun at the end.
Maybe because the world is just so beautiful.

Activities are just boring filler.

Combat is mediocre. It was praised as innovative and realistic. But in this world everybody is a swordmaster who can block each of your swings.
And none of the people wants to hurt you by themselves. Both combatants are just waiting to riposte the other one. (Mutually Assured Destruction)
So the go to way is hitting the enemy once so that he blocks and tries to hit you. You riposte this hit and get another one or two in.
That's why later they only made big fights with more combatants. And here all you do is crush others back of heads with your mace.

I dunno about the perk system. I never had the feeling that it had any influence.

The story:
It was very nice presented. Quests in the beginning were stronger. Hunting with Hans. Searching Ginger. Healing the Pestilence.
Later on you just fight lots of bandits.
I don't know if it was necessesary to storm 2 bandit camps. The siege of Talmberg and all that stuff was great again.
The ending isn't really annoying but i wish Henry had at least gotten the sword and the revenge story would have been the sequel.
There's no real sense of accomplishment this way.
Also the whole start of the game isn't explained that greatly. Even if you listen to their explanations.
The whole Sigismund-Wenceslas stuff is too far away.

What was the purpose of the game? To be a realistic medieval walking simulator.
I think the game achieved this in a fun way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xeon

Augur
"I dunno about the perk system. I never had the feeling that it had any influence."
Combat skill perks? Regular perks had amazing perks, like the ones that lessens the food and rest so I could go on 2 or 3 days without resting. The one that also doesn't deplete necessity while waiting was also great. Longer lasting lockpicks was a must. Combat perks tho, I kinda agree, I unlocked combos thinking I'll be able to kill people faster but I never got them to work so I just kept on blocking and fast stab from start to finish.

I am kinda happy about not being able to interact with the Sigismund stuff. Henry was just a peasant for most of the game so it kinda would have sucked if he manged to interact with kings like its nothing when the game kept insisting on the realism. Tho he did pretty much did everything from spying, investigating, liberating and ruling over a village and whatever so who knows.

overly excitable young man

Had no problem with the resting and eating. They were already really nice to the player.
Henry can still run 2 days without any sleep and is satisfied with a few beans he finds in a pot.
Maybe i didn't feel the impact of lockpicking perk because i had it pretty early.

vota DC

Augur
Funny thing is when you have to find a job for Matthew and Fritz.
You go to the miller near Sasau.
"Are they local"
"No, from Skalitz".
I mean there are 7 km between the two locations but it is enough to make them exotic foreigners!

Got bored and left

Funny thing is when you have to find a job for Matthew and Fritz.
You go to the miller near Sasau.
"Are they local"
"No, from Skalitz".
I mean there are 7 km between the two locations but it is enough to make them exotic foreigners!

As an inbred purebred countryside yokel, I can confirm that this is just how rural communities work :P

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
anyway is there DLC only bundle? there is royal edition that still include the base game which i have since release, buying all the DLC one by one is alot more expensive

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
anyway is there DLC only bundle? there is royal edition that still include the base game which i have since release, buying all the DLC one by one is alot more expensive
Click this image
uJ5PlRT.png

Steam doesn't allow bundles and packages, which don't contain the base game, to be directly listed as such on the game's store page. That's why it's this weirdly hidden.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
huh. weird policy. anyway thanks. gonna replay this game with the DLC with my new glorious PC to run it in stupid ultra setting stuff after i am done with withcer 3

Gord

Arcane
Also probably depends on how high your stealth skills are, i was only there for 4 days (one more than needed because I didn't realize the escape process would require a few earlier time of day preparations from when I triggered it) so I enjoyed the change of pace and exploring all the content, I wish they fleshed out the election plot a little more nothing really happens/no reward for informing one candidate of the going ons about the place felt like a quest that didn't escape the cutting room floor.
Of course it's possible I just missed some alternative way to do the quest, but to me it seemed as if high stealth skills are pretty much mandatory to finish that quest peacefully or in a "good" way.
And some critical stuff seems locked behind high difficulty locks for which there are no keys, so you can't access it in other ways.
It happens in non-critical path quests, too:
E.g. I got the key for the forbidden bookshelf by looking for the missing pages of some book. But the last page was behind a very hard lock which was more difficult to unlock than the bookshelf itself.
OTOH that made for a very interesting gameplay experience when I had to sneak out of the monastery at night and go to the nearest tavern where I had stashed some stuff, including some potion which raised my lockpicking enough to open the damned final lock I needed for the evidence on the wanted novice.
In the end the game hick-uped a bit when I finally confronted the novice, as it forgot to trigger the
attempt to poison Henry
but the novice still behaved/talked as if it had.

Overall I liked the monastery, but can't help to notice that it lacked some polish.

In small rural european villages they might as well come from africa if they grew up more than a kilometer or two away. Pretty accurate there.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I wonder what was going through the actors' heads.

Tom McKay was like: "Woe me, when I was a young actor I dreamt about the grandeur and majesty of world's best theatres and movie stages and here I am, clad in a goofy lycra suit with white balls, straddling a wooden chair and pretending I'm riding a horse." Lol.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Knowing nuRockstar, you'll play as a Moor travelling to backwards Europe to teach the people about social justice and feminism.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Knowing nuRockstar, you'll play as a Moor travelling to backwards Europe to teach the people about social justice and feminism.
Do you mean RDR2 is woke? From the videos I've seen it's more like opposite - the protagonist is a straight white male and manly to boot, most other chars are too and there were no stronk wahmen or empowered minorities. Mind you I've only watched like the first 3 hours of the game.

Don't tell me it's SJW infested, I'm quite looking forward to play it when it comes to Steam.

Whipped Cream

Learned
Patron
Hmmm, the list of rumored or confirmed next-gen AAA open world medieval/medieval fantasy "Skyrim killers" in development is starting to get quite long. On the top of my head we've got:
- Elder Scrolls 6: Hammerfell by Bethesda
- Kingdom Come 2 by Warhorse
- Dragon Age 4 by Bioware
- Skyrim: New Vegas by Obsidian
- Fable 4 by Playground Games
- Baldurs Gate 3 by Larian Studios (probably more of a Divinity: Original Sins type of game, but still)
- Assassin's Creed 53: Vikings Edition by Ubisoft Montreal (cross-gen)
- Assassin's Creed 54: Ninja-samurai Edition by Ubisoft Quebec (or wherever the fuck the next one by Quebec is set)
- Assassin's Creed 55: "Zuckerburg bribed us to make a AAA VR game for the Occulus" Edition by Ubisoft Düsseldorf (seriously Ubisoft, you need to chill the fuck out on the Assassin's Creed games)
- Amazon's Lord of the Rings MMORPG
- Rockstar's medieval game (assuming the rumors aren't bullshit)
- and I would be very surprised if The Witcher 4 isn't in serious pre-production somewhere in a corner in CDPR's officies.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
And some critical stuff seems locked behind high difficulty locks for which there are no keys, so you can't access it in other ways.
It happens in non-critical path quests, too:
E.g. I got the key for the forbidden bookshelf by looking for the missing pages of some book. But the last page was behind a very hard lock which was more difficult to unlock than the bookshelf itself.
If we're thinking of the same lock, you can pickpocket the key.

My biggest issue with the book cabinet is that
there's a chance it's open already when you start the monastery quest, since the Restless Spirit quest (the worst one in the game by far) has you breaking into the very same cabinet when looking for the Necronomicon. You can ruin an important segment of one of the biggest main quests in the game dozens of hours before you even start the quest and not even realize it.

In the end the game hick-uped a bit when I finally confronted the novice, as it forgot to trigger the
attempt to poison Henry
but the novice still behaved/talked as if it had.
I though that was changed with some patch, as some of the dialogue played out a bit differently on my second playthrough. I hated the part with
the poisoning
since it forced you to act like an idiot if you wanted to crack the case. It was nice when I found out that there was a way around that part, even if the later conversations didn't quite seem to acknowledge it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hmmm, the list of rumored or confirmed next-gen AAA open world medieval/medieval fantasy "Skyrim killers" in development is starting to get quite long. On the top of my head we've got:
- Elder Scrolls 6: Hammerfell by Bethesda
- Kingdom Come 2 by Warhorse
- Dragon Age 4 by Bioware
- Skyrim: New Vegas by Obsidian
- Fable 4 by Playground Games
- Baldurs Gate 3 by Larian Studios (probably more of a Divinity: Original Sins type of game, but still)
- Assassin's Creed 53: Vikings Edition by Ubisoft Montreal (cross-gen)
- Assassin's Creed 54: Ninja-samurai Edition by Ubisoft Quebec (or wherever the fuck the next one by Quebec is set)
- Assassin's Creed 55: "Zuckerburg bribed us to make a AAA VR game for the Occulus" Edition by Ubisoft Düsseldorf (seriously Ubisoft, you need to chill the fuck out on the Assassin's Creed games)
- Amazon's Lord of the Rings MMORPG
- Rockstar's medieval game (assuming the rumors aren't bullshit)
- and I would be very surprised if The Witcher 4 isn't in serious pre-production somewhere in a corner in CDPR's officies.

BG3 doesn't belong on the list obviously, or you might as well include all the other isometric RPGs.

My additions:
- Isles of Adalar
- Knights of Light
- Bannerlord
- Elden Ring
- Project Awakening

We live in a goddamn RPG Golden Age hail may hallelujah.

Whipped Cream

Learned
Patron
I forgot about Bannerlord. Then again, it probably won't be fully released until the Playstation 7 at the earliest at their current working pace. :P

Elden Ring won't have populated towns filled with NPCs, so I don't really consider it to be in the same category of game as the others.

The other three games are very low budget and have my vaporware alarms going off at full volume. Still, one of them might turn out allright.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom