Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The smaller things that annoy you in RPGs

Starwars

Arcane
What are some of the smaller things that really annoy you about RPGs? Stuff that other people may not notice that much.

One of mine is when you can't turn down quests. So you talk to an NPC, they offer a quest that may be completely out of character for you to do so you say "no fuck you", and the game STILL gives you the quest with the NPC saying "Ok... but I'll be here waiting for you anyway!"

1. When I carefully position my party members prior to combat only to have a dialogue or a cutscene reset all my hard work.

2. In Divinity OS, there were some NPC's that started combat with at least twice as many AP as you. Even worse, they mostly got the first turn even if you talked to them to initiate combat, so they immediately used summons, some AOE shit, so forth. As soon as I found some end-game AOE spells, I made sure to start every boss encounter with Arrow Spray and Meteor Shower.

3. Elves.

Will Zurmacht

Educated
One of mine is when you can't turn down quests.
And then not being able to remove them from the log book. Can't stand having a journal cluttered with quests that I have no intention of completing.

Asinine response lines that play all too frequently. If I have to hear Kana Rua(sp) make that same lame statement about calm seas when entering stealth...

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Cumbersome or badly designed UI. This ruins alot of newer indie titles for me, the most egregious example being Grimoire. There is no excuse for it: RPGs have been around for 30+ years and right now it should be somewhat obvious what a functional UI is.
I want to fight enemies, not the fucking UI.

the_shadow

Arcane
Relatively rare consumable items that have no meaningful value. For example, wands of fire that cast spells that are less powerful than what a low level mage can cast, or healing/bless potions that apply the same status buffs that even the lowest level priest can bestow.

Falksi

Arcane
Quests which all follow very similar patterns.

Witcher 3 was a fucker for it. Tall-walk-witcher senses-fight-walk back-talk-quest over. Once you'd done one quest you'd done 90% of them.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
One of mine is when you can't turn down quests. So you talk to an NPC, they offer a quest that may be completely out of character for you to do so you say "no fuck you", and the game STILL gives you the quest with the NPC saying "Ok... but I'll be here waiting for you anyway!"

This is definitely one. Saying ”no” bears little to no meaning. I’d rather have it so that either you accept the quest, or you forfeit it. If you come back later, the mission giver might tell you it’s already been taken care of.

Another thing that iffs me (somewhat related to the afore mentioned) is that time is almost never used as a real and effective mechanic for reactivity in quests. The games allow the player to fill out his quest log with 100+ missions, all of which - regardless of their implied narrative urgency - wait patiently until the player bothers. And if there is a timelimit, it’s a few minute deathclock that starts when you reach s certain proximity of ”the goal”. Like if there’s quest about putting out a fire on a house, the house burns for years if needed, until you arrive; or if you are to chase a fugitive, he’ll camp at the edge of the woods until you come around to be spotted. And nobody does anything about these things other than you...

And there are sooo many ways to use time to create contextual reactivity that have little to do with ”fail, try again”, but alas...

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I hate lots of things. First off, I hate having to walk back and forth. If a character gives me a quest that requires running a mile to a dungeon or something, then I have to do the dungeon but then run all the way back to the quest character, then the game can get fucked. If the world is really interesting and run speed is fast, then I am fine with it. But otherwise it is obnoxious. Underrail got uninstalled in 10 minutes because it had far too much running back and forth. Fuckers.

I also really hate having too many containers in the world with stuff in. NWN was a fucking nightmare with this. You leave the first building and there are 4 barrels, a chest, 3 crates, and a plant pot, all searchable containers, and that's just in the first corner. And there are 10 corners because the area is a weird shape. If you ignore them then you end up broke and lacking in scrolls and shit, and if you decided to open all the containers you find, you spend hours clicking the millions of fucking boxes. Terrible.

I also hate stories that don't let me skip them. I've never played a game with a story and dialogue that even came close to a good TV show, so they shouldn't force me to read/listen to all the crap that they came up with. It needs to be skippable and the number 1 dialogue option should be mashable. I might make an exception if the game is like BG2 with lots of interesting dialogue choices, but generally I resent having to read stuff because it always bad.

Most of all I hate fucking towns! Because they are the above 3 shitty things compressed into one massive waste of time. Having to run all over the place, search a million boxes, talk to a million shitty characters. I hate it so much.

Basically I hate RPGs unless it is focused on combat and the combat is good. FFT, Blackguards, TOEE, etc. I love that. I even liked BG2, Dragon Age Origins, etc. If the story is decent and skippable, the travel is minimal, and there are some good battles, then I am happy. I don't think I ask for much.

Bah

Arcane
I also hate stories that don't let me skip them. I've never played a game with a story and dialogue that even came close to a good TV show, so they shouldn't force me to read/listen to all the crap that they came up with. It needs to be skippable and the number 1 dialogue option should be mashable. I might make an exception if the game is like BG2 with lots of interesting dialogue choices, but generally I resent having to read stuff because it always bad.

You either play really bad games, or watch really great tv.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
What are some of the smaller things that really annoy you about RPGs? Stuff that other people may not notice that much.

JRPGs are the most guilty of fake yes/no choices. Dragon Quest XI lampshades this and even has additional dialogue for when the player selects No.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Equipment that has a minimum skill level required to equip them. I hate miraculously obtaining a powerful item only to be told I can't use it.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Loot placement is often bad. E.g. whenever loot is randomized it's practically always bad (aside from the grindy ARPGs where random loot is by design).

But it's not always just randomness that is bad. E.g. my overall opinion on Kingmaker has improved a lot (there are still bugs but Owlcat has made the game enjoyably playable), but I still find it disappointing how the best items usually come from containers and artisans and almost never from boss fights.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Equipment that has a minimum skill level required to equip them. I hate miraculously obtaining a powerful item only to be told I can't use it.
Kinda related to this - "Your character is a master of axes and a complete novice at using anything else because there is no point in raising more than one weapon skill."
I generally tend to dislike the very existence of specific weapon skills with a few exceptions.

Having to run all over the place, search a million boxes, talk to a million shitty characters.
I like to call this the usual rpg chores. Makes you feel like you're doing some shopping errands rather than having an adventure.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Loot placement is often bad. E.g. whenever loot is randomized it's practically always bad (aside from the grindy ARPGs where random loot is by design).

But it's not always just randomness that is bad. E.g. my overall opinion on Kingmaker has improved a lot (there are still bugs but Owlcat has made the game enjoyably playable), but I still find it disappointing how the best items usually come from containers and artisans and almost never from boss fights.
On that point, randomized loot where it makes no sense. Most recent example of a bad offender is Wasteland 2: a trashcan in a village can have expensive ammo or some old pants. A locked safe trapped with explosives in the raiders base can have expensive ammo or some old pants. Isn't that just fucking brilliant.

Legendary armor under a shrub by a busy road is dumb too but it happens so much I don't even notice it anymore. In Kingmaker my entire kingdom economy in the early game was based on me selling ancient artifacts found in random containers then investing the money into village buildings.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

You either play really bad games, or watch really great tv.
Both :/

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So many things, most of which figure in the posts above.

I can add some more nuisances like :
  • Drag and drop inventory management (why not just right click/double click ?)
  • Bland settings or units.
  • BG & DOS EE kind of traps.
  • Companions AI making them walk into spotted traps ... (Zorbus prevents that from happening, why can't AAA cRPG ?)
  • Poor sound effects, generic OST (well, if it's just the music, i can listen to Brahms while playing, if it's the sounds effects, it's a real problem)

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Dialogue trees where NPCs do a long ass monologue that you have to mash 1 to get through.... and then when it does end, "1" makes you ask the question again restarting the entire monologue again.

Quest items that don't disappear from inventory after their single, scripted use case is complete.

When Run cannot be set to default and you have to hold down Shift or something the entire game.

Voice acting that cannot be turned off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom