Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Thoughts and prayers going out to this cancer failing and dying.
But of course they've opened Pandora's box now. Just like the VR gimmick, this may fail once, or twice, or three times, over the course of decades, but they will keep trying to make it work until it becomes an unavoidable reality.
Sometimes I really wish people could identify an idea that is truly malignant and realize that "hey, we should actually just fucking stop trying!".

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
It's like someone going "Hey, remember Ebola? The first release didn't do as well as we had hoped at becoming a full scale epidemic. We need to make a new version that is far more contagious and has much deadlier symptoms so it can finally become a success."

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Btw. It's gonna be bad even for tb games, because in these you often have to interact a lot with an interface and god knows input lag is annoying when doing so.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Btw. It's gonna be bad even for tb games, because in these you often have to interact a lot with an interface and god knows input lag is annoying when doing so.

I would think any mouse control of anything will feel awful, and the thing's mostly designed for controllers. But who knows.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It's like someone going "Hey, remember Ebola? The first release didn't do as well as we had hoped at becoming a full scale epidemic. We need to make a new version that is far more contagious and has much deadlier symptoms so it can finally become a success."

To stick with this metaphor, this is the gaming industry right now:

44b1c7e6-e037-440d-b19d-6c5ed9425247.gif

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I imagine Larian has taken Google's money to agree to release on Stadia and help promote the platform. I wonder if they get to keep it now that Stadia's falling apart.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
For every dumbfuck idea that is a cancer upon humanity that google and other companies make, there are a few million people giving them money and rewarding them for it.
We should have never stopped the tradition of throwing defective babies off cliffs.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
DalekFlay

Look at this shit: Larian promoting Stadia with just a passing mention of BG3. They wouldn't promote a platform out of the kindness of their hearts would they?
dollars.png

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Ngl, can't say I remotely give a fuck about devs taking stadia money when it's not some exclusivity deal like Epic's shit. Money's money and I'm somewhat certain a decent amount of these devs already know this idea was a trashbin fire from the start so fuck it.

But of course they've opened Pandora's box now
You're a bit late on that... about 8 years late.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Look at this shit: Larian promoting Stadia with just a passing mention of BG3. They wouldn't promote a platform out of the kindness of their hearts would they?
dollars.png

The citation needed tag was about Stadia failing, not about Larian obviously taking money for a promotional deal. I hate Stadia and the whole concept of it as much as anyone, but I don't trust that Youtube criticisms equal failure. Not yet anyway.

DemonKing

Arcane
I could understand a streaming service where you pay a monthly fee to play a specific catalog of games, maybe a paying a bit more for "new titles"... But paying full price is dumb.

Agreed but we live in a world where it is frequently cheaper for me to have an empty box mailed to me containing nothing but an Activation Key than to just purchase and download the game directly from Steam/Origin/GOG etc so this probably seems a perfectly sane approach to game execs.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Psst, hey want to have an actual good idea instead of this stadia cancer? Remote desktop access software that you own a license of and install on your personal hardware, allowing you to then stream to your devices from your personal hardware, which you own your games on.

Psst, hey want to have an actual good idea instead of this stadia cancer? Remote desktop access software that you own a license of and install on your personal hardware, allowing you to then stream to your devices from your personal hardware, which you own your games on.

Or, rent a DaaS instance in the Cloud, buy a game, install it and stream it to your local machine/phone/whatever. Thats basically Stadia but it cuts out the middle man.
I do this so I can play games at work - run the DaaS client in a browser and bingo.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
dollars.png

The citation needed tag was about Stadia failing, not about Larian obviously taking money for a promotional deal. I hate Stadia and the whole concept of it as much as anyone, but I don't trust that Youtube criticisms equal failure. Not yet anyway.
Yeah, while it has taken a major blow, it might be premature to call it dead. But given what it offers, it ought to be.

Tiger

Learned

Or, rent a DaaS instance in the Cloud, buy a game, install it and stream it to your local machine/phone/whatever. Thats basically Stadia but it cuts out the middle man.
I do this so I can play games at work - run the DaaS client in a browser and bingo.

Yeah great. Can you see the average dumbfuck even understanding what you just wrote? They want something simple they can turn on and game for an hour whilst the wife puts the screaming kids to bed. This average dumbfuck doesn't even know what input lag is. They just want to pay a sub every month, push a button to turn something on and shoot zombies in the face. It may not stand up to scrutiny for the prestigious minority like us but that does not mean this will fail. Hordes of idiots will flock to it still.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom