Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

abija

Prophet
Check your math.

Shadenuat

Arcane
lot of items who buffs poison damage comes, but none who buffs magical damage and reduce enemy resist
https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/White

why would you need to lower resist against something which already 99% of monsters don't have resist to?

thx god. imagine hammerdin who can break Mag res.
poison is also nearly not as good as u think. you need great items to run it. summoner/corpse explosion can just clear everything naked in comparison. and bone spells are easier.

although there's something probably could be said about 20/20 skellies + poison nova, you have just about enough points to do this. I prefer 20/20 skellies, 20 corpse explosion, 20 golem mastery tho. +revives for crushing strike.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
why would you need to lower resist against something which already 99% of monsters don't have resist to?

thx god. imagine hammerdin who can break Mag res.

Make then VULNERABLE to magic? They can have negative resist. Also, boosting magic damage could be implemented for necro only items. They probably only added poison thanks to the hammerdins but as i've said, much gear dependency kills any skill not supported by gear. Anyway, hammerdins was one of the best builds.

Shadenuat

Arcane
also one of the most boring and hated ones. also I swear hammers is probably the ugliest skill in the game. I don't know what designer was thinking when making it. "u summon flying hammerz lolz"

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Fuck Blizzard and fuck anything they try to peddle these days.

To me, Blizzard more or less died in 2008. Their D3 scam was merely the last nail in the coffin: "hey, let's release a new Diablo game and fill it with systems that everyone will hate so that later we could release an expansion and make those suckers pay twice for the same thing." Yeah, it's such a great business strategy, assholes. I didn't buy your "expansion" and I won't buy anything from you ever again. Period.

abija

Prophet
You need some very special kind of mental gymnastics to think they didn't try their best to make the money AH work.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There was rumors that Diablo 4 would be souls like( https://www.pcgamesn.com/diablo-4/diablo-4-development-souls-like )

My question is. How much post wow mmo bullshit will ruin it?

I mean, look to the strongest dark magic skill on Dks 2. It can deal massive damage but

• Requires 4 Attenument slots. So you could have easily 100+ Dark Orbs or be able to cast Climax
  • Require high STATS, mainly FHT
  • Costs all souls and only does significant damage if you sacrifice at least 5k souls
  • Require a long quest in a covenant
  • Require facing DarkLurker, the strongest boss VS hex in the game
On any post wow mmo, would be just a skill that everyone gets at a specific level, no effor required, deals 50000% of the sharpness of your axe in damage and had 180 seconds cooldown On D2, would be a high level skill that requires a lot of investments in synergies to deal massive damage and his effectiveness will depend the mob and situation.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
You need some very special kind of mental gymnastics to think they didn't try their best to make the money AH work.
Bro, are you for real? Literally the only thing they did to "make the money AH work" was destroying the drop chance of all good items to ensure they were all Zod-level unobtainable through regular gameplay.

The D3 money AH was a pay2win scheme implemented in a non-F2P game in the most intrusive and arm-twisting fashion. And the fact that they refused to apologize for that scam and released RoS as a paid expansion added insult to injury. Twice.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not only that remove all type of char development and make everything into gear was probably by RMAH. Nobody would spend money on RMAH if they only need skill to beat the game naked on the hardest difficulty like on D1/D2...

Shadenuat

Arcane
86548641.jpg

:nocountryforshitposters: 300% MF first kill

well it was fun. Diablo 2 is fun.

endgame stats:

level 86.
STR 190
Dex 140
Vit 170
energy base

around 1700 hp.

Dire wolves 20, Grizzly 20, Spirit of Wolverine 20, Lycanthropy 5, Direbear 7, Maul 20, Shock wave 1

Weapon: Athena's Wrath, upgraded to Elite, and Shael'd (from NM act 4 diablo); Immortal King's maul on switch (from nm eldritch)
Head: Diadem +2 dru skills, 20 resists, topaz
Armor: Duriel's Shell (hell mephisto)
Gloves: chanceguards lmao
Belt: immortal kings (from hell bishibosh or something lmao)
Boots: Gore Rider ( :shittydog: ) (from hell crystalline passage)
Ami: telling of beads/+life, all res, +mf; Rings: some garbage (one 3 resists life, other eh)

Charms: 50% resists total nothing else.

Merc: Might act 2, Hone Sundan (Shael Eth Amn), Tal Rasha mask & Smoke/Wealth

Sadly did not construct any op runewords, best rune drop was er 1 Mal.

tl;dr Diablo 2 solo melee no muling is fun :shittydog: it is also interesting perspective since 99% people probably never finished game themselves on Hell, but were i am the passenger in botnet with other people, getting free stuff in the process and that is what whole meta is based around, from >all to vitality to items to builds.

alas once again I must bring the fact that 99% of monster design punishes melee combat. fire enchanted? cold enchanted? lightning enchanted? 2 at the same time? cursed? extra strong? exploding dollies?? yes yes yes
arguably game has 3 instances where spellcasters are punished and that is:
- duriel
- act 4 spirits who drain mana. but they're so slow and weak that don't really do their job. +they hover over unreachable places for melees.
- gloams but these are dangerous for everyone.

I wonder what kind of monsters can you design to specifically punish range/casters. something weak to melee weapons, low damaging, mana draining which sticks to you maybe? like hentai slimes? monsters healed by elemental damage? POE proximity shields?

p.s. i wish at some point they'd remove Isenharts from game, i swear its dropchance is troll bugged :lol:

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Amazing Shadenuat. One more thing. I an LOVING Path of Diablo. Blizzard servers are fullfiled with cheaters, booters, lag, fail to join in a room, etc. Path of Diablo also made some things interesting.

For example, Bone Spear now gets +magical damage from energy and with 100 energy, you can cast 3 projectiles. That means that invest into energy now worths something. I recommend for those who wanna play online to play path of diablo.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'd prefer mechanics like that were systemic. Although obviously it would mean re-working whole synergy thing again.

Synergies definitely lead to streamlined builds; with worst example being say javazon 20202020202020 into lightning skills then spam Fury.
I think a linking system where you could link 1-2 skills of your choice to another skill of your choice and that would produce different effects would have worked. Since all skills are separated due to class system (sometimes class systems have advantages, surprise) it would be easier to make and balance than in POE. Like link poison dagger to your skeletons, get more AR and poison damage in skeletons, that sort of thing.

Btw while killing meph I was listening to Diablo lore utub videos and

I admit Diablo lore is probably some of the most anime and unnecessary and crude things I have seen. The whole 2 gods fight make angels and demons, the duper lore dump about what was before Diablo 1, lilith and other shit, the awkward anime explanation of how angels rreproduce, it is all so

unnecessary

for games where lore is scarce and self contained and things like haven and hell are supposed to be at least a bit mysterious mebbe, it suffers from what I would call fake history order desire syndrome, where you explain things that in real world are just a string of chance and events and C&C; with shit like "well here's how nephelim were born, and then 1 nephelim made barbarians, and another made wizards, and" omg.
I do not recommend learning this "lore".

the desire of DMs to try and explain the WHOLE WORLD ORDER is strong in that one. as well as possible desire to sell some books and merch.
diablo 1/dark souls way of telling lore in ARPGs is just fine; I don't need to know what every angel thinks or uses as a weapon or whatever.

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I'm thinking of picking up D2:LoD. Is it worth playing in 2019, despite the lack of an enhanced edition? I played D3 and thought it was fun for a few hours before things got repetitive.

Update: After downloading D2:LoD on Thursday night, I've been playing it non-stop since then and can say it's absolute :incline:.

I enjoy the aesthetics much more than D3.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IMO they should have added more passives instead of additing synergies and making virtually every skill into a active and passive at the same time...

Anyway, i can't play of Blizz official servers but i an getting a good experience on Path of Diablo

Swigen

Arbiter
Lemme jus say, if Diablo 4 doesn’t have the suck ass, there for no goddamned reason lag that Path of Exile has, then it will win. I was really in the mood to play some PoE today but playing it is like listening to 66 year old man with a swollen prostate slow pee with multiple false starts and gratuitous urine splash all over the front of the bowl on account of weak stream. SUCK MY BAAAAWWWLS PoE servers!!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'd prefer mechanics like that were systemic. Although obviously it would mean re-working whole synergy thing again.

Synergies definitely lead to streamlined builds; with worst example being say javazon 20202020202020 into lightning skills then spam Fury.
I think a linking system where you could link 1-2 skills of your choice to another skill of your choice and that would produce different effects would have worked. Since all skills are separated due to class system (sometimes class systems have advantages, surprise) it would be easier to make and balance than in POE. Like link poison dagger to your skeletons, get more AR and poison damage in skeletons, that sort of thing.

I admit Diablo lore is probably some of the most anime and unnecessary and crude things I have seen. The whole 2 gods fight make angels and demons, the duper lore dump about what was before Diablo 1, lilith and other shit, the awkward anime explanation of how angels rreproduce, it is all so

unnecessary

for games where lore is scarce and self contained and things like haven and hell are supposed to be at least a bit mysterious mebbe, it suffers from what I would call fake history order desire syndrome, where you explain things that in real world are just a string of chance and events and C&C; with shit like "well here's how nephelim were born, and then 1 nephelim made barbarians, and another made wizards, and" omg.

the desire of DMs to try and explain the WHOLE WORLD ORDER is strong in that one. as well as possible desire to sell some books and merch.
diablo 1/dark souls way of telling lore in ARPGs is just fine; I don't need to know what every angel thinks or uses as a weapon or whatever.

It's basically what Darth Roxor explained in this, yeah. I suspect the underlying reason is also that modern game companies saw "fans" debating that stuff endlessly, creating wikies and geeking out and identified that as a demand for lore, when in reality mangeeks are gonna mangeek and all you did by meeting that demand was create hindrances for your own ability to do whatever you wanted in the future.

Like how is the fact that some primal entity split himself into good and evil and then that created the universe relevant in any way to your Diablo experience? It's not. All it does is explain away mildly interesting mysteries with boring platitudes.

But then, the expansion of lore itself is the least of Diablo 3's writing problems. The biggest one is how awful fusing Dragonball Z plot devices, epic fights between Marvel-like ultrademons and main hero super powers with what is fundamentally a fantasy horror setting is.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

unnecessary

It's basically what Darth Roxor explained in this, yeah. I suspect the underlying reason is also that modern game companies saw "fans" debating that stuff endlessly, creating wikies and geeking out and identified that as a demand for lore, when in reality mangeeks are gonna mangeek and all you did by meeting that demand was create hindrances for your own ability to do whatever you wanted in the future.

Like how is the fact that some primal entity split himself into good and evil and then that created the universe relevant in any way to your Diablo experience? It's not. All it does is explain away mildly interesting mysteries with boring platitudes.

But then, the expansion of lore itself is the least of Diablo 3's writing problems. The biggest one is how awful fusing Dragonball Z plot devices, epic fights and main hero super powers with what is fundamentally a fantasy horror setting is.

I read that piece once already. But it is so good I am now doing it again. :salute: Darth Roxor

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom