Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ripped off RPG music?

ragnor

Educated
Might&Magic 6 soundtrack has many songs inspired(!) by classical music but this one is my favorite.

Risewild

Arbiter
Not really a RPG and not really a rip off. But Microprose reused the song from the Marco Polo's Embassy wonder video (Civilization 2) in their Magic The Gathering: Shandalar game (released one year after Civ2):

Here's a few other commonly aped pieces that I can list off the top of my head that appear in all sorts of media.

Bizet's Carmen, particularly this section (19:37) but other sections too.

Montegues and Capulets from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet Suite.

Any of the pieces that appeared in 2001: A Space Odyssey, particularly Richard Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra and Johann Strauss II's An Der Schönen Blauen Donau.

Mars
(0:00), Saturn (26:11), and Neptune (41:12) from Gustav Holst's The Planets.

I'm sure Codexers can think of examples of shameless rip-offs for themselves once they've heard the originals.

Darkzone

Arcane
I heard one the other day which was a blatant rip off of 2 Unlimited's "No Limit" but I can't remember what game it was (wasn't Biometal, which did include the actual track).

Then you've obviously Xenon 2's "Megablast" From Bomb the Bass, which is of course lifted straight from John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13.........

By all my love for Carpenter, i have to point out that he is also not innocent.

The question is where the paying homage ends and where does the blatantly ripping off begins.

Falksi

Arcane
I heard one the other day which was a blatant rip off of 2 Unlimited's "No Limit" but I can't remember what game it was (wasn't Biometal, which did include the actual track).

Then you've obviously Xenon 2's "Megablast" From Bomb the Bass, which is of course lifted straight from John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13.........

By all my love for Carpenter, i have to point out that he is also not innocent.

The question is where the paying homage ends and where does the blatantly ripping off begins.

Not just in this instance, but in general I tend to look at a rip off as a song which would fall apart without the peice it ripped off, and playing homage/being influenced as a song which evolves the original significantly enough to be it's own song.

It is of course subjective, but in this case I'd say Carpenter evolves Cooper's section into a different beast. You can detach yourself from Cooper. Whereas with Megablast you can't hear it without thinking of Carpenter.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Kingdom of Syree had some very recognizable tunes, like This Land is Mine and The Turkish March.

Last edited:

hexer

A bit of a necro but I couldn't resist not sharing..

In this episode, Mark Morgan strikes back! :lol:

Vault City / All-Clear Signal

Redding / Gold Slouch

Children of the Cathedral

Sampled intro for the Vault of the Future song

hexer

Short sample for the Desert song

Intro melody for Modoc / Dream Town

New Reno melody

Sampled for Nordom theme

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I happened to be watching the original 1st episode of Saint Saya (don't ask me why) and there's a couple of tracks there that are a dead ringer for some 16-bit JRPGs. Unfortunately, my shitty memory couldn't identify exactly what games.

roshan

Arcane
Wow hexer I thought I already had the complete list of Mark Morgan plagiarizations but looks like this stuff goes way way deeper than I thought.

hexer

Actually my list isn't complete, I just ran out of time to post everything yesterday. :lol:
Will update when I have more free time

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
All possible music that is fruible by hears and human brain has been already invented. The harmonic solutions are finite and already explored. Futhermore, commercial music only use a tiny subset of the possible harmonic solutions, so repetitions are even more common and blatant. What differentiates music is not the music itself, but the context.

hexer

This is more about "give credit where credit is due."
Mark Morgan was often called a genius but soon mysteriously disappeared.
Only later did we find out why

hexer

We continue with more of naughty Mark's escapades ...

Vats

Worldmap

Necropolis

Melody in one of the Planescape Torment themes for endings

Small sample for Radiation Storm

hexer

The Followers

Adytum

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom