Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Outer Worlds is a commercial success, patches and sequel on the way

Deleted Member 22431

You gotta laugh at the ridiculous purity spiralling on the codex over what is a hardcore CRPG, you keep calling everything shit and you'll have nothing left to play.
They are frauds. Most of them played and replayed TOW. It's only a facade of puritanism.

You've been here since 2016 and this surprises you?
I have been here longer. This is my second avatar.

DeepOcean

Arcane
You gotta laugh at the ridiculous purity spiralling on the codex over what is a hardcore CRPG, you keep calling everything shit and you'll have nothing left to play.
They are frauds. Most of them played and replayed TOW. It's only a facade of puritanism.

Witcher 3 was GOTY here, after that, I expect anything from nu-codex.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I believe that the genre simply found a way to adapt and get a broader audience - therefore financially survive.
I don't even.
You might not even, but it's fact.
And on top of that nuXCOM (and 2) proved that there is a definite market for the genre and exactly for that reason there are so many games coming out... in that genre.
The more that get developed, the more chances we have of something good - for example Battle Brothers

DeepOcean

Arcane
I believe that the genre simply found a way to adapt and get a broader audience - therefore financially survive.
I don't even.
You might not even, but it's fact.
And on top of that nuXCOM (and 2) proved that there is a definite market for the genre and exactly for that reason there are so many games coming out... in that genre.
The more that get developed, the more chances we have of something good - for example Battle Brothers
Doesn't have that more to do with the Steam's/PC market growth over the years? A ton of new games on all kinds of genres popped out or were resurrected, not only RPGs. I think the market for Outer Worlds is completely different from something like Battle Brothers so the success of one won't help the other at all.

A niche won't stop being a niche because a popamole mass market product was successful.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doesn't have that more to do with the Steam's/PC market growth over the years?
Of course there are other factors too. But imo the revival of turn based gaming has two main "benefactors" and they are nuXCOM for tactics and D:OS for RPGs.
I'm not claiming they are the best or anything like that but that they did it in a way that showed to everyone that there IS a marker for TB and that you SHOULD make your game TB if you think that's better.
There was a long period of time where games would be real time simply because "turn-based is old and boring" and fucking finally that's over

mindfields

Learned

Witcher 3 was GOTY here, after that, I expect anything from nu-codex.
I can't even fathom how apparently "hardcore" RPG fans could tolerate an RPG where you CANNOT EVEN CREATE YOUR OWN CHARACTER. Even worse you play as some perfectly handsome fighter, I swear Witcher is fantasy Call of Duty.

Trashos

Arcane

Where I currently live, there is a big high-budget bakery on the main road, and three smaller bakeries nearby, hidden in the neighborhoods. The smaller bakeries are hit-and-miss, but two of them are pretty good. The big bakery makes money just because it is all the unfortunate passing cars can see. It *looks* like a decent place, but all the products taste bland (and most of them are imported, actually).

However, I know the place, I have actual taste and quality demands, and I can enjoy the products of the smaller bakeries. It would be retarded of me to go to the bigger bakery.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Anyone who played this garbage - this includes piracy - is a cuck and will be shunned.

Edit:

And to the people shouting decline of the Codex: a tiny five, six page thread on an AAA game is supposed to be evidence the Codex as a whole is "happy" the game was successful? A thread about farts would get more resonance! You gotta be kidding. Most of us didn't even look at this fucking garbage. It didn't even touch us tangentially and passed by, for the retards to enjoy.

Citizen

I just don't play RPGs doh

Codex tought us that RPGs are shit. Now we just need to understand what an RPG is to avoid playing them

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I see you there, Inshillitron. How many Obsidianbux did you get for this job, hm? Maybe you get to score with one of the fat blue-haired whales on the writing team?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Decline like this being a commercial success

e82.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom