Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

13:52 lol

clowns...

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
300px-Jaywilson.jpg

This guy(Jay Wilson) is responsible for most BS things on D3.

Anyone know if Luiz Barriga or David Kim, believe that my monk's unarmed punches and my necromancer minion strike damage should be tied to the size and sharpness of my axe? If wow cooldown based rotations (not just having cooldown) are good? If they believe that people should't do naked/beyond naked challenges?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
300px-Jaywilson.jpg

This guy(Jay Wilson) is responsible for most BS things on D3.

Anyone know if Luiz Barriga or David Kim, believe that my monk's unarmed punches and my necromancer minion strike damage should be tied to the size and sharpness of my axe? If wow cooldown based rotations (not just having cooldown) are good? If they believe that people should't do naked/beyond naked challenges?

fuck this monster
300px-Jay_wilson.jpg

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
This thread inspired me to give Diablo 3 another go after a break of more than four years. I just finished, for the first time ever, a 6 piece set for my seasonal character and am now oneshotting absolutely fucking everything, getting more levels and legendaries than I know what to do with.

This is fun in a way, and also feels somewhat rewarding after going through all the trouble of getting to this point... but you know I felt a whole lot better when I finally brought down Hell Baal for the first time all those years ago in D2. That game demanded respect, this one doesn't even need much concentration.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This thread inspired me to give Diablo 3 another go after a break of more than four years. I just finished, for the first time ever, a 6 piece set for my seasonal character and am now oneshotting absolutely fucking everything, getting more levels and legendaries than I know what to do with.

This is fun in a way, and also feels somewhat rewarding after going through all the trouble of getting to this point... but you know I felt a whole lot better when I finally brought down Hell Baal for the first time all those years ago in D2. That game demanded respect, this one doesn't even need much concentration.

The problem of D3 is that EVERYTHING is about GEAR. And you one shooting everything, you will become exponentially stronger -> increase the difficulty -> become exponentially stronger -> increase the difficulty (...)

And your character? He is just a souless clone of everyone of the same class.

On Diablo 2, you can beat the game naked. A naked necro beating hell baal + minions in less than 15 minutes(time of a D3 GR), you can't even scratch the weakest imp on torment 1 without a big and sharp axe to make your unarmed striked and minions stronger

PS : Will give another chance to D3. Will play on HC to see if things are more interesting.

That's what motivated me to play D2. I remember D3 being mindless after a while.

I recommend Path of Diablo. The servers are extremely more stable than Blizzard servers.

Morblot

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
PS : Will give another chance to D3. Will play on HC to see if things are more interesting.

God luck and good speed. I lost a HC crusader to error 1016, "generic network disconnection error", last Friday. There's no gear good enough to defeat that monster. Fucking forced multiplayer.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
God luck and good speed. I lost a HC crusader to error 1016, "generic network disconnection error", last Friday. There's no gear good enough to defeat that monster. Fucking forced multiplayer.

I know, only wanna see if the fear of death can make this pony game a little better. D2 i only played offline on HC.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I decided to give D3 a chance. Created a seasonal HARDCORE character. I was thinking on playng D3 with a non RPG mindset and maybe the game will be good

fQCSPIp.png

Well, my necromancer looks EXTREMELY androgynous.(jrpg level of androgeny) I was wondering if i really had picked a male necro... And the game is too easy. I literally got a decent weapon and was two hit shooting "rare" enemies. Unlocked corpse explosion. Was sad that it was scaling with my weapon, not with enemy hp who fits more the manipulator of master and death, using the lifeforce of enemies against thenselves. And no progression on range, always hit a specific area.... When i got skeleton mage, i was thinking "why i can't use it and the bone spear?" I an hating more this loadout system

Literally when i found a little gear, my hit points moved from 150 to 600. That ludicrous number inflation... For almost no gear improvement and few levels... At lv 11, i finally got a decent skill that siphons blood. i found a amazing big and heavy mace, do you know what it means? That i can siphon much more blood from enemy skeletons My skeletons also will become much stronger.

Leveled a little more, unlocked golem BUT or i have a golem or skeletons since i can only have one skill on the "reanimation" bar... Again this FPS like loadout( i an a FPS fan)...

Then faced the Skeleton King. Faced him on 1x1 but thanks to my heavy club, he was no match for me. I din't even needed to do anything except let my skeletons attack him while i drain all skeleton's blood. Decided to try change the difficulty. I now that the game will just inflate damage/health and will not trow more uniques, let enemies have more spells, give immunities, so skeletons can't be poisoned to death, or anything interesting. But at least will be less boring.

Now the game is on EXPERT. Was a little more fun, but even by standing in a ultra telegraphed explosion, i only lose half of my health.,,, After leveling i got corpse lance. A cool skill. IMO better than corpse explosion but again. Why i can't have one for single target and another for multi target? I hate this loadout system. On D2 i can have dozens of skills...

---------------------------------

MEkrPUR.png

I an thinking D3 on expert extremely more easy than any other isometric ARPG that i played. I an literally playing while watch video lessons, even writing annotations with a hand and editing this post and my health NEVER reached closer to 50%(except when i tried) And the combat? always spam the same rotation, over and over... Generate essence -> Skeleton mages -> get corpses so corpse lance, next encounter, generate essence -> skeleton mage -> corpse lance (...) Looks like i an playing an MMO... The unique encounter who broke this monotony was VS jailers.

IS not that necromancy is bad. I mean, it is mostly thanks to the D3 mechanics, we can't have a summon like Iron golem, nor curses like attract. but they did a good job considering D3 limitations. Blood skills and frost golem(loved both) but IMO they should drain health based on a percentage of enemy health, like Bone Spirit on D1 but obvious weaker and you should't be able to use this skills on creatures without blood.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Can't you change this from the options ? I was runnig full on summon skills with my witch doctor back then (or support skills in inferno, back then game was kinda hrd at that point and needed a bit of tactics...)

Already uninstalled. But according to a google search, only at lv cap, you can put two reanimation skills in the same bar...

imagine a master necromancer in a novel teaching to his novices “guys, let me demonstrate a spell, see that skeleton? I will suck his blood. The technique is the following. First you pick this big and sharp axe, then you insta desmaterialize the axe, then start to drain enemy skeleton’s blood by moving your hand and essence in that way. Remember, more sharper your axe is, more blood you will drain form the skeleton. Any question”?

This makes no sense...

Generic-Giant-Spider

I take back an earlier comment I made and can admit I jumped the gun a little.

Decided to go back to Grim Dawn after years away, first time I tried it was early 2016 and didn't think too much of it. Thought it was basic/generic. Gave it a second go around, this time with the Necromancer DLC and the one from earlier this year and think it's actually pretty fun. I've made a Nightblade/Necromancer hybrid that focuses on Cold damage with melee with the Necromancer bonuses being more life steal and building up some defensives since NBs can feel really squishy otherwise. I've no clue where to even fucking start on that huge Devotion constellation screen though.

There's still occasional moments of lightshow but it's nowhere near D3/POE levels of retardation from what I've experienced in my build. It's a lot more reigned in to D2 levels. If anyone else has experience, what are the generally "good" Devotion trees or ones that would compliment a cold based melee dual wielder?

Morblot

Patron
But according to a google search, only at lv cap, you can put two reanimation skills in the same bar...

"Elective mode" allows you to choose your six skills more freely, i.e. you can choose more than one from one category. You gotta be level 19 or 21 or whatever to have access to all six skills. But there might be some limitations still, such as crusaders only getting one "law" active at the same time.

P.S. I think the D3 necromancer is pretty decent. Certainly more fun to play than the aforementioned dead crusader or my current seasonal demon hunter, whether or not the latter can oneshot everything. Mind you, I never played much with the D2 necro, so I have no perspective.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I see hardcore is still as unplayable as it was in whatever year it came out. Because of blizz servers.

And the game is too easy. I literally got a decent weapon and was two hit shooting "rare" enemies. Unlocked corpse explosion.
Last I played there was like 20 difficulties to select, unless you started on torment something there's zero challenge. And all the difficulties level-scale too, so the reward is faster level-scaling. As bad as inferno was in that first version it wasn't this level of stupid, I never understood people saying that RoS improved D3. They removed the AH but added level scaling and turned the game into only doing rifts and upping torment 9>10>11 when your dps gets better, that's even worse.

Last edited:

Morblot

Patron
And all the difficulties level-scale

This is probably the most insulting thing about this game. If I can beat the enemies at level 1, I know can beat them at level 70 paragon 2500. What even is the point of leveling.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
. Mind you, I never played much with the D2 necro, so I have no perspective.

Most problems of D3 necro is due the fact that D3 sucks. For eg, lack of attract curse is due the GR Zimbabwe level inflation. Same with iron maiden and Iron Golem would not work on D3. Corpse explosion scaling with mob's HP also would be broken on GR... But some changes that they made are beyond retarded. For eg, 10 second revive duration and skeleton mage as DoT, not as minion is ludicrous. On D2, you could technically Attract a group of enemies, confuse another, then after few ones die, corpse explosion then all, using enemy army against itself. That is how a master of life and death should be able to fight. Not by finding bigger and sharper axe and use it to siphon big number worth of blood upon enemy skeleton

Decided to go back to Grim Dawn after years away, first time I tried it was early 2016 and didn't think too much of it.

What i HATED with passion on GD is that raise skeleton has cooldown. AT least they don't scale with the size an sharpness of your axe but come one. Every time that i lose my minions, i need to spend a minute waiting cooldown. That is too boring.

There are mods who adds Diablo 2/3 classes to Grim Dawn and it makes the game far better IMO. In fact i only purchased D3 because i liked D3 mod for GD and was thinking "maybe the criticism was unfair" but no, the criticism was well deserved.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yeah, no idea why some Diablo-likes have gone down this WoW cooldown route. In fact, cooldowns suck cock in general. Like think about it in roleplay, how does a cooldown make sense? Oh a Necromancer raises a skeleton then he has to take a minute to sit down before he can raise another? Dumb. Just make the prerequisite needing a corpse, or having to sacrifice some life to raise it, or anything better and more thematically appropriate than standing there like a goon waiting for some number on a skill to hit 0.

I know one thing I saw on the D3 Necro skill preview years ago prior to its release was when they showed the skeletal mages last like only 3 seconds. All I could think was "wow, what a shitty Necromancer." Oh yeah, and the Corpse Explosion looked so trash compared to D2's glorious blood and guts.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
There are mods who adds Diablo 2/3 classes to Grim Dawn and it makes the game far better IMO. In fact i only purchased D3 because i liked D3 mod for GD and was thinking "maybe the criticism was unfair" but no, the criticism was well deserved.

The most fun I've had with Grim Dawn was with the mod that turns it into D2, and even with that I'm waiting for them to polish it.

The base game is alright, has some nice ideas but:
1. Level scaling.
2. Too bogged down in details and weirdly designed, sometimes. For example fire damage and burn damage are separate stats, wtf is this. Instead of simple numbers and bonuses stats go to numbers like +500% elemental damage very early in the game. I did like crafting and components, thing like special ammo for guns, protective charms, special plating.
3. Too large and spread out too thin, too many generic enemies. I quit it 2 times around the same area, after you beat the cultists in the ruined castle in the snow, then you fight some generic yetis in the mountains, and it never ends. And I skipped some optional/secret areas too, something I would never do in a game like that normally. Some areas and enemies are nice but they’re mostly near the start, then it’s hordes of goblins, wild bison(?), bees, bandits, insects. Meh. And it’s pretty easy even on hardcore veteran once you hit your stride, maybe it’s better on higher difficulties but I never got there because I got bored.
4. Faction reputation. Too ambitious for the game they’ve made, shouldn’t even be in it because it’s embarrassing. The factions I have to fight by playing the game hate me. Factions I’ve saved from certain doom many times like me at about 3/10 and won’t let me do some quests or sell me most items until I do 9000 generic repeatable bounties for them. This is awful.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Alot of POE cocksuckers in this thread. Eh.

I hope we get some new D4 info soon, maybe release the demo.

2020 I guess, a long wait, but a lit year.

Grim Dawn is dogshit btw. Let's hope Wolcen devs get their shit together

Generic-Giant-Spider

The most fun I've had with Grim Dawn was with the mod that turns it into D2, and even with that I'm waiting for them to polish it.

The base game is alright, has some nice ideas but:
1. Level scaling.
2. Too bogged down in details and weirdly designed, sometimes. For example fire damage and burn damage are separate stats, wtf is this. Instead of simple numbers and bonuses stats go to numbers like +500% elemental damage very early in the game. I did like crafting and components, thing like special ammo for guns, protective charms, special plating.
3. Too large and spread out too thin, too many generic enemies. I quit it 2 times around the same area, after you beat the cultists in the ruined castle in the snow, then you fight some generic yetis in the mountains, and it never ends. And I skipped some optional/secret areas too, something I would never do in a game like that normally. Some areas and enemies are nice but they’re mostly near the start, then it’s hordes of goblins, wild bison(?), bees, bandits, insects. Meh. And it’s pretty easy even on hardcore veteran once you hit your stride, maybe it’s better on higher difficulties but I never got there because I got bored.
4. Faction reputation. Too ambitious for the game they’ve made, shouldn’t even be in it because it’s embarrassing. The factions I have to fight by playing the game hate me. Factions I’ve saved from certain doom many times like me at about 3/10 and won’t let me do some quests or sell me most items until I do 9000 generic repeatable bounties for them. This is awful.

I agree with a lot of these criticisms. Faction reputation is too MMO-y for a predominantly single player Diablo-like and exists as annoying gatekeeping. I do like the idea that some factions have predictable items on their vendors, such as those dealing with alchemy and such being more likely to have poison related items if drops have been shit for you so far but I wish it was integrated in a less grind heavy manner.

I also don't like the weird design choices when it comes to damage types. Something like Acid and Burn can easily fit under Poison and Fire respectively. Some damage types feel like they exist purely as an annoyance to build up for rather than actually doing something different. Aetherial or Chaotic damage is pretty much there as simply another damage type that forces you to spread your resistances thin. I wouldn't mind if these did something beyond cause damage to you, but they don't.

As for high monster density, that's just an unfortunate case of how Diablo-likes have become especially since Diablo II which began the whole "kill shitloads of mobs in big packs." Your first big encounter with that is when you hit the second area in D2 and fight a bunch of Fallen Ones/Fallen Shamans with a superunique in the middle of it. I'd like a much more toned back encounter design, with high density meaning high chance of dying but it's one of those things I've come to accept at this point.

Oh yeah and level scaling can go fuck itself. Is there any mod that can shut it off?

With that said, I do think GD upon my second honest try with it is probably my preferred Diablo-like of the current era by far. The music is really nice, the gameplay systems are fine, it has some pretty good atmosphere in certain places and the environment can feel quite forlorn and desolate which I like in my dark fantasy games. I'm glad I revisited it, it's a very solid game even if it doesn't exactly try to set the world on fire with something innovative.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
If only. That's a real stats and resistance in the character sheet, separate from fire damage. There’s also "vitality damage". What is vitality damage? Which enemy attacks count as vitality damage? When a cultist casts some ray of red demonic stuff is that fire damage, burn damage, chaos damage or vitality damage? Who knows.

Shadenuat

Arcane
well it's usually red stuff. I didn't have much trouble to figure it out.
generally u have enough items ti max all res EXCEPT chaos and aetherial. these 2 balance out places you farm so u change equipment (MUH SALT) when needed.
poison also can be stronk in that jungle forest chapter. so you change equipment to go through it.

fairly similar how you max fire res for Diablo 2 chapter 4. or poison for andy, or lightning for chapter 3 and 5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom