Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Psst, hey want to have an actual good idea instead of this stadia cancer? Remote desktop access software that you own a license of and install on your personal hardware, allowing you to then stream to your devices from your personal hardware, which you own your games on.
https://shadow.tech/
What about it anyway? Is it any good?

Yeah great. Can you see the average dumbfuck even understanding what you just wrote? They want something simple they can turn on and game for an hour whilst the wife puts the screaming kids to bed. This average dumbfuck doesn't even know what input lag is. They just want to pay a sub every month, push a button to turn something on and shoot zombies in the face. It may not stand up to scrutiny for the prestigious minority like us but that does not mean this will fail. Hordes of idiots will flock to it still.

This. Normalfags will choose convenience over quality every time. And if people are getting excited over all the negativity around this launch, realize that a large amounts of the complaints are from people who didn't get their activation code - meaning these are idiots who can't fucking wait to use Stadia and are mad they didn't get to try it out OMG right away.

Psst, hey want to have an actual good idea instead of this stadia cancer? Remote desktop access software that you own a license of and install on your personal hardware, allowing you to then stream to your devices from your personal hardware, which you own your games on.

Or, rent a DaaS instance in the Cloud, buy a game, install it and stream it to your local machine/phone/whatever. Thats basically Stadia but it cuts out the middle man.
I do this so I can play games at work - run the DaaS client in a browser and bingo.

Yeah great. Can you see the average dumbfuck even understanding what you just wrote? They want something simple they can turn on and game for an hour whilst the wife puts the screaming kids to bed. This average dumbfuck doesn't even know what input lag is. They just want to pay a sub every month, push a button to turn something on and shoot zombies in the face. It may not stand up to scrutiny for the prestigious minority like us but that does not mean this will fail. Hordes of idiots will flock to it still.

From what I understand Stadia doesn't "just work" though. Besides that, and more importantly, the pricing model is off. I take your point that people generally don't care about quality however, Stadia seems to have not gotten it right on anything. That is, the only way it really works is to use it the same way you would use a console, so whats the point? I think the average dumbfuck would agree here.

From what I understand Stadia doesn't "just work" though. Besides that, and more importantly, the pricing model is off. I take your point that people generally don't care about quality however, Stadia seems to have not gotten it right on anything. That is, the only way it really works is to use it the same way you would use a console, so whats the point? I think the average dumbfuck would agree here.

I hope that's the case. I mean it's possible that the quality is so shit that even Joe Dicksuck trying to play Madden at his house party while drinking Bud Light out of a Solo cup realizes that it's shit, but I hold these people to very low standards.

I hope that's the case. I mean it's possible that the quality is so shit that even Joe Dicksuck trying to play Madden at his house party while drinking Bud Light out of a Solo cup realizes that it's shit, but I hold these people to very low standards.

Well its difficult to find a flattering review, even the positive reviews are tempered with some criticism. Granted I haven't played it myself so I can't say how bad it is. I expect its bad as I do Cloud gaming through AWS (frequent stutters, lag, etc etc), but not bad enough to put most people off and depends on the game. Anyway, like I say, the issue here is the pricing. You are paying twice what you would a console (Stadia + service fees + the game) to do something you can already do with a console. Stadia reportedly only works hardwired through a chrome cast (consensus is the game anywhere seems to be a totla lie) which is pretty similar to how you would play an Xbox, now bring quality into the mix (also multiplayer doesn't work) and its hard to make an argument of where the benefit is.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
To me, it's not about even the positive reviews containing criticism. What I have seen so far is even the critical reviews are being nice and holding back. Even the critical reviews are written with the implied tone that this is just a minor setback and stadia WILL work, and that it IS the unstoppable future. That to me is the most harmful thing about this all, that even if it is doing poorly the reviewers are all seeing it as something to improve on instead of fuel for the fire to shut this shit down forever like it should be. NO ONE has the testicles to publicly state that stadia is a horrible idea and should have been aborted.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Or, rent a DaaS instance in the Cloud, buy a game, install it and stream it to your local machine/phone/whatever. Thats basically Stadia but it cuts out the middle man.
I do this so I can play games at work - run the DaaS client in a browser and bingo.

The issue with the last two generation of console is that you have to go through upgrade the console firmware, install the game, install any patch/DLCs (a bit like PC games). So even then Stadia still has an advantage on how long it takes between starting the console and starting to play.

The issue with the last two generation of console is that you have to go through upgrade the console firmware, install the game, install any patch/DLCs (a bit like PC games). So even then Stadia still has an advantage on how long it takes between starting the console and starting to play.

Ok, yes. But this is the only value proposition, and its really dependent on the system actually working in the first place. Having said that, its trivial to accomplish a similar thing with AWS, etc as these services save and restores state (https://aws.amazon.com/appstream2/)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
How do you persuade someone to give up their rights? Make it convenient and easy to do for them.

That and exclusive content they can't get elsewhere. Make no mistake, these streaming/subscription services will eventually be filled with games you can't play (legally) any other way, just like Netflix, Amazon and Disney+ are for movies and shows.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
How do you persuade someone to give up their rights? Make it convenient and easy to do for them.

That and exclusive content they can't get elsewhere. Make no mistake, these streaming/subscription services will eventually be filled with games you can't play (legally) any other way, just like Netflix, Amazon and Disney+ are for movies and shows.
Absolutely. The end goal of these services are the death of selling own-able copies of game licenses, as we all pay for now, and only having the ability to buy a subscription to temporarily access the game. Steam and other store exclusives locked to drm tied to a client for example are halfway there.

Volokard

Novice
Most people complain about the technical problems such as internet speed as their main reason to thrash Stadia. I think that's just a temporary issue and it doesn't matter much now as it will improve in the future. Some countries already have amazing internet speeds. What I really, really dislike is just games being a service that you have to keep paying for in order to play them. It's like paying for each bite of a sandwich as you are eating it.

Whipped Cream

Savant
Patron

I was curious whether that post was made by a Google sock puppet account or a real person, so I checked out his profile. What I found was pretty hilarious.

cawwLzk.png

Whipped Cream

Savant
Patron
I feel kind of mean for posting lots of pictures of someone's post history like this, but these two posts were just too funny.

AwrI2ma.png

Two months later: "Man, Stadia is going to be awesome!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom