Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with nice inventory icons

vazha

Arcane
Siege of Fucking Avalon, people. Unsurpassed to this day.
381549-siege_002.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
:shredder: Imagine battle brothers with that kind of graphics...

Modron

Arcane
vazha Nice art, I heard the game is mediocre though. What are your thoughts on it?
Siege of Avalon was pretty good actually a hack and slash rpg with proper exploration, nice loot, and proper quests and shiet. I put it alongside Divine Divinity and Prince of Qin. I recommend giving it a shot even if you don't end up liking it.

vazha

Arcane
vazha Nice art, I heard the game is mediocre though. What are your thoughts on it?
Wunderbar Dark Souls right? Barely played it] but I liked the art direction
It's one of those "could have been a classic" rpg games. First two chapters are brilliant - amazingly atmospheric, great art direction, meaningful quests & dialogues, with a nice court intrigue woven in. Combat is not half bad for a hack & slash game. Oh and excellent music too. Third chapter is solid. the less is spoken about later chapters ( I think there were 5 or 6), the better. Suffice to say that aside of becoming a nauseatingly boring clickfest with barely any quest & dialogue, the game screws you if you have a warrior char (a foremost reason to play the game in the first place, just look at that paperdoll) by throwing at you enemies that you can effectively deal with only as a mage.
In short, I heartily recommend playing the first three chapters. After that, make up your own mind.

The Red Knight

Erudite
isn't rage of mages an RTS? If it is a CRPG I'll have to check it out.
It's one of those RPGs put on top of RTS mechanics. Each mission/quest gets own map (between them you end up in a town hub where you can shop, progress story in a tavern, and hire a mercenary unit or two for the next mission), each map has various events and/or side quests you may want to do, sometimes with NPCs to talk to or aid you, and the order in which to do them is a bit of a puzzle to solve (but often you can try doing things your way). Human enemies drop their equipment that you can pick up after the fight, and there's no RTS base construction stuff (and monsters, enemies, NPCs just stick to their areas unless an event tells them to do something or you lure them away) etc.. There's also only a few "units" you control per mission most of the time.

Though unfortunately a lot of the pretties are pickupable-but-useless room decorations.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Red Panda Those M&M inventories look great. I need to play those games!
Ivan I was gonna post RE when I got home from work but forgot. Nice choice
Thal I agree about that inventory screen being comfy, but isn't rage of mages an RTS? If it is a CRPG I'll have to check it out.
From what I recall, Rage of Mage is a game with linear missions, very small controllable character count (2?), and leveling, so it sits between RT tactics and Tactical RPG.
The equipment part is really well done indeed. The game is very hard and grindy iirc(you really need these flashy equipment upgrades!), and I remember camping enemy respawn points with my sister for hours before we questioned the purpose of our existence.

Last edited:

The Red Knight

Erudite
From what I recall, Rage of Mage is a game with linear missions
Pretty much yes, but IIRC there are side-mission maps you don't have to do and there's some choice of order in which to do them. The maps themselves have parts of the map you're supposed to tackle first/last (which you figure out by encountering enemies you can't kill yet or get one-shotted by them) but it's possible to do stuff out of order there and you don't have to fight optional grindy monsters (though you'd be missing on loot/experience from them so skipping too much might make later missions harder).
very small controllable character count (2?)
1-2 is the minimum, and 2-3 IIRC is the max for party members you can equip, but there are temporary controllable friendlies and mercs you can hire so you can have a few more units per mission if you want (though melee ones are not worth the investment usually), and there are rare missions where you end up controlling a dozen or more units (there also may be groups of friendly NPCs you're supposed to join in a fight against bigger groups of enemies - which BTW can be abused to let some friendlies you're not allowed to kill yourself die to get their loot). Controlling more units and keeping them from dying is a pain, though (unless you like micromanaging multiple units with special abilities in RTSes), so missions you can complete with just a knight and a mage or two are more fun.
The game is very hard and grindy iirc(you really need these flashy equipment upgrades!)
The hard part is not dying to groups of ranged units/mages in some missions, otherwise it's more on the grindy side because of some enemies being HP sponges that require kiting, and it being optimal to do all the optional stuff (but that's also true for other games with a mission structure where you can't repeat content for more exp/loot), which is where the most kiting/sponginess happens.
One of the missions near the end of RoM1 is very boring from what I remember (there's some "wall" near the end of it with durable heavy-hitting enemies on top that takes ages to clear).
I remember camping enemy respawn points with my sister for hours before we questioned the purpose of our existence.
Are you talking multiplayer maps here? Singleplayer is pretty much killing stuff until you have to retreat to heal, repeat until everything is dead.

Generic-Giant-Spider

A lot of old school games had great inventory icons since they didn't go hard into ridiculous fantasy where you're carrying glowsticks and still maintained some measure of realism. I do have a love towards Diablo II as well.

thegrandfather.jpg

The icon of this sword, the name of it, it just meshes well together. It sounds cool, it looks cool.

curds

Magister
Sorry man but those ones are really ugly to my eyes. Also the Risen icons remind me of Candy Crush or a similar phone game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom