Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

"i thought the computer (or robot, or whatever he said, i can't remember) would have been faster". holy fucking fuck dude, it's a tree, a gorram tree, and you wrote it, you gorram wrote it. there's no space for interpretation, it's either x or y.
are really these dumbfucks the heroes you blindly follow?

Duraframe300

Arcane
"i thought the computer (or robot, or whatever he said, i can't remember) would have been faster". holy fucking fuck dude, it's a tree, a gorram tree, and you wrote it, you gorram wrote it. there's no space for interpretation, it's either x or y.
are really these dumbfucks the heroes you blindly follow?

? How is there no room for interpretation in a speedrun. Especially since the method they mentioned was and still is used in some speedruns. In the end I actually think the time difference of both methods is near 0 seconds/negible.

Edit: The current speedrunning guide even suggests an alternate route including what Tim and Leonard said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_Vd_7ngPV9waat30LvOBoTtwBKJByMJl31pg65I_Jyg/edit#gid=0

Dont talk to the ship, instead head into edgewater, kill the mayor, and head to the geothermal plant north of edgewater, unlock the plant and redirect power to the Alt option to edgewater, FT back, pick up the reactor and then go to the ship.

Edit 2: And if you're just talking trees. The computer IS faster than the conversation with Reed. It takes longer to initiate though.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Exploration would require maps that are bigger than the average Japanese apartment.
Monarch is pretty big.

BTW. I've finally found ONE unique that is better then 2.0 regular equips (that is randomly generated in loots/shops beyond certain levels). A unique based on Plasma Carabine, that shoots acid, 3 blobs of it in rapid succession - kinda like a bolter pistol I guess (so not THAT creative) - at least its something. Wish it had a unique or at least modded skin... and there were many more items like that.

Its a great shame most of the uniques are so generic AND hugely inferior to 2.0. weaponry. There are the science weapons of course, but those are curiosities rather then actual weapon replacements (unless melee maybe).

Last edited:

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Exploration would require maps that are bigger than the average Japanese apartment.
Monarch is pretty big.

BTW. I've finally found ONE unique that is better then 2.0 regular equips (that is randomly generated in loots/shops beyond certain levels). A unique based on Plasma Carabine, that shoots acid, 3 blobs of it in rapid succession - kinda like a bolter pistol I guess (so not THAT creative) - so at least its something. Wish it had a unique or at least modded skin... and there were many more items like that.

Its a great shame most of the uniques are so generic AND hugely inferior to 2.0. weaponry. There are the science weapons of course, but those are curiosities rather then actual weapon replacements (unless melee maybe).

There's also the
UNIQUE n-word damage assault RIFLE that belonged to Welles, but you get it really late in the main quest, on hope
it has dps comparable to regular damage 2.0 weapons, probably the best n-word damage weapon in the game

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Also the armor itemization kinda sucks. You generally buy all armor at vending machines, where armor values seem to be randomly assigned basing on your level and roll.
Like between 9 and 65 around level 20. No sense of EITHER exploration, achievement OR any clear progression.

Its a pain to replace mods in the constantly improving equipment, particularly in armor the rare TTD recovery mod.

And the difference between light, medium and heavy armor doesn't appear to be explained anywhere.

Last edited:
The Real Fanboy
4b4f077bbaa17fe4f3f9ff6355bfefef2fe43772.jpg

Omg Max could have been in Riverdale when he was young
Yyq7dkE.png
Yyq7dkE.png
Yyq7dkE.png

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It would have been a neat subversion and commentary if all the low level shit equipment was shiny new corporate produced and the actual high level good stuff some rough looking improvised gear, because of course the corps wouldn't hand out powerful guns to the general populace. Hire me Obsidian.

wyes gull

Savant
Finally started playing this a few days ago. Went with Melee, immediately regretted my decision, went back and got with guns instead.
No idea what's with the difficulty in the game. Playing in Hard, the first encounter I had with a Marauder Ringleader (or the ones with heavy armor) and 2 other mooks took 9 (!) tries to beat and I died relatively regularly throughout Emerald Vale. Since I left it, though, I haven't died once and most of the damage I take is from falls. And this is with 18 and 6 in dodge and block. I have to ask, why are there 3 different armor types but no armor skills? Using Heavy armor completely trivializes ranged damage as long as this isn't babby's first FPS and you know to move away from the heavy-hitting slow moving projectiles like the ones from Primals, Automated Sentries and Manticores. I'm also swimming in cash and ammo and that's while almost exclusively using the Plasma Launcher and LMG. Because companions' guns don't use ammo, and because there isn't anything you can buy (or there rarely is) that you can't find in a corpse 2 steps away from the entrance of whatever hub you're in. Also, consumables are rendered useless on account of how easy Hard mode is, I usually just sell the lot apart from a couple that I reckon might eventually be useful. Which, let's face it, they're not going to be. I never find myself thinking "I could really use +200% healing rate" or whatever during a fight, let alone am inclined to pause the game so I can go into the menu to use it. Heck, I didn't realize you could hotkey a 2nd consumable 'til just now. Oh and BTW, where are the grenades? Or usable mines?

I don't really know how to feel about this. Most of the things I like about it are QOL improvements (such as containers being circled blue and animated and playing a sound when you're near, so you can identify them from the rest of the scenery) or how the FPS feels better than its Fallout predecessor (which wasn't hard). But even with all the effort made for its aesthetic, it has a real lack of an identity. And the tone is weird. For something light-hearted, there seems to be a distinct lack of humor, intended or otherwise. And for something po-faced, it seems all too content to let us blindly massacre the local fauna, and I'm including the humans, moral or ecological considerations be damned. Fallout pulls this off, and the reasons for it are many and worthy of their own post. This doesn't. Not so sure why. Not yet, anyway. Regardless, I'm left feeling that the plot doesn't drive you enough and the setting doesn't justify the hammer you're taking to it to accomplish... whatever that was.

Lastly, and this isn't the kind of thing I tend to notice but... where are all the old people? Where are all the kids? And for that matter, where are all the women? All I see are 20-40 year old dudes. Some of whom have tits. Weird.
But I'm a keep chugging along. About done with Monarch.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah the armor system is retardo to the max. Only difference is how it looks (irrelevant for a first-person game) and how many bonuses you can have on it, which isn't super relevant either. They obviously simplified aspects of the game to get it out the door on time in a polished state, and I think that was one of them. Same with the lack of NPC diversity you mentioned at the end.

Emerald Vale being hard on hard, the game is piss easy after you get decent equipment and a couple level-ups. You probably just rushed into some stuff before doing the peon quests. Literally the only thing I ever thought approached hard in the whole game was the giant mantis things, and that was only when I first got to Monarch at a low level.

Miserable Panda

Educated
Finished the game just now. I believe it will be one of the most unmemorable pieces of media ever released.
Nothing in this game really captured my attention. The plotline was basic and minimal (sided with the board to at least try to have some fun)
The lore was almost non-existent, and it was presented in such an horrific way that I it was a serious effort to try to decipher some of it.
The companions were a disaster, Max and Ellie were ok, but the other ones were quite lacking, and their personal quests were disappointing.

All the "capitalism xD" grew old really fast, had no depth and never even tried to raise a valid point besides pointless criticism.
The UI was horrendous, I can't believe someone was paid for designing it.

Finally, the combat. It was OK, but extremely repetitive. Perhaps that is related to the fact that I used the ultra sniper rifle for almost half of the game (sneaky criticals were alright though).

All in all, I believe this shows the grim future that Obsidian is currently facing.
I also can't believe the hype that this game is receiving online.
Thankfully, while I'm kinda butthurt, I played this game with the Xbox game pass (really recommended) so the only thing I wasted was my time.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished the game just now. I believe it will be one of the most unmemorable pieces of media ever released.
Nothing in this game really captured my attention. The plotline was basic and minimal (sided with the board to at least try to have some fun)
The lore was almost non-existent, and it was presented in such an horrific way that I it was a serious effort to try to decipher some of it.
The companions were a disaster, Max and Ellie were ok, but the other ones were quite lacking, and their personal quests were disappointing.

All the "capitalism xD" grew old really fast, had no depth and never even tried to raise a valid point besides pointless criticism.

Finally, the combat. It was OK, but extremely repetitive. Perhaps that is related to the fact that I used the ultra sniper rifle for almost half of the game (sneaky criticals were alright though).

All in all, I believe this shows the grim future that Obsidian is currently facing.
Thankfully, while I'm kinda butthurt, I played this game with the Xbox game pass (really recommended) so the only thing I wasted was my time.
i thought this was fluent and i thought "what the hell happened here?"

Yosharian

Arcane

For a moment there I thought Fluent had developed some taste

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
"more like Fallout 1"

fakenews.png

Eh.. the vídeo is p.good and even if dont agree with the tittle, he has entire section to say why.

Btw not even Outer Worlds's own subreddit thinks the game isn't that good and totally dont deserve goty. I guess they arent that brain dead. Pretty funny :M

https://www.reddit.com/r/theouterworlds/comments/e1guzx/unpopular_opinion_the_outer_worlds_does_not/

They still like it but at least theres some voice to obsidian to make next game better asides from here.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Eh, I'd consider it a good game if they fixed the itemization, which is in a sad state, really.

You get light, medium, heavy armors, several corporate/faction paint jobs for each... yet each "type" has static Reductions, same for all elements. Come on, how lazy can you be?

Damn it, Obsidian. You did White March and Deadfire... and now... this..?

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Eh, I'd consider it a good game if they fixed the itemization, which is in a sad state, really.
I'd consider it a good game with better itemization (2 non-weapon item slots in RPG, come on), x3 enemy variety and some perk re-balancing. Than I'd be able to close my eyes on lackluster parts in story and dialogues, since locations and level design is mostly ok.

Thing is, even with all aforementioned improvements, gameplay would still look second grade next to some proper FPS, like Destiny, that already has class/build variety TOW could never dream of.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It would need a hell of a lot of enhancements to compete with New Vegas, but as its own thing it'd be a lot better with some simple tweaks like better loot and perks, more enemy variety and a more relevant faction system.

orcinator

Liturgist
like Destiny, that already has class/build variety TOW could never dream of.
:hmmm:

Did you mean to quote
some proper FPS, like Destiny,
?
Because Outer Worlds's build variety boils down to "character that can do everything" and "character that can do everything but is slightly worse at whatever skills were under Int but in return gets [dumb] dialogue lines"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom