Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
i just bought it, ill probably play it over the weekend.
Yeah, the question was kinda retarded. I'm just cautious about it, because in case of EL the last DLCs were a pretty shitty mess of gimmicky mechanics that made the overall game feel worse

For games such as this that have lots of mods I buy gameplay dlc as long I get a decent deal, since there are always some mods that are made with them in mind.

Outstanding Visuals - Metro Exodus (a weak winner; too bad the voting ends a week before RDR2 comes to Steam, otherwise it'd be a slam dunk)

ITZ HAPPENING, and you can nominate it for shit.
Edit: Well shit, apparently you CAN'T nominate it. It has the nomination stuff on the store page, but it doesn't go through if you attempt it, and you can't nominate it from the awards page. Oh well.

mastroego

Arcane
I *might* cave this time and get Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
The discount is slightly better than the last time, but now it's the definitive edition too.
I don't even have the recommended specs but want to complete the collection.

78% discount but still 24$.
He.
I'm so dumb.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nominating for Steam rewards I realized I played very few 2019 games, so this got a bit tricky.

GOTY - Atelier Ryza, thicc thighs wins this reward easily.

VR - Aircar, if I had a VR I would play this while listening to Blade Runner soundtrack-

Labour of Love - SpaceEngine, its been worked on since 2005, nuff said.

Better with Friends - CODE VEIN, looks like it might be fun in coop.

Most Innovative Gameplay - Kenshi, this is what sandbox is all about.

Outstanding Story - Disco Elysium, everyone here is raving about it so I picked it.

Best Game I Suck At - Bloodstained, looks good but Im not a fan of this kind of games.

Outstanding Visuals - Sekiro, it looks nice I guess.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I *might* cave this time and get Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
The discount is slightly better than the last time, but now it's the definitive edition too.
I don't even have the recommended specs but want to complete the collection.

78% discount but still 24$.
He.
I'm so dumb.
If you truly wanna play Shadow of the Tomb Raider then you might wanna check out Humble Choice next month since it's gonna be one of the 10 games offered in it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDealsMeta/comments/e14zzm/first_humble_choice_seems_to_have_leaked/

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Need some opinions on middle earth: shadows of war .Thought the first game was ok but I remembered there being so much drama for the sequel and microtransaction bs which put me off completely. Is this still the case?

Basically the scenario I fear is that all the orcs I like will be shit and easily killed because they ain’t prenium legendary orcs and i will be forced to stack my team with nothing but epic and rare orcs to progress through the late game because the game is designed as if it was f2p mobile title.

Last edited:
Need some opinions on middle earth: shadows of war .Thought the first game was ok but I remembered there being so much drama for the sequel and microtransaction bs which out me off completely. Is this still the case?

Basically the scenario I fear is that all the orcs I like will be shit and easily killed because they ain’t prenium legendary orcs and i will be forced to stack my team with nothing but epic and rare orcs to progress through the late game because the game is designed as if it was f2p mobile title.
I can't tell you exactly what you're asking (If DLC orcs are miles better than regular orcs) but I do know that they removed the microtransaction shop at least. And the article mentions they were changing it because of the reason you're concerned about though I don't know the current end-state of the game after they patched it and updated it. Googled the first link up for proofs: https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/3/17...nsactions-removed-war-chests-gold-marketplace

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
The comments on that polygon article gave me cancer. Controlling orcs with the ring is clearly problematic as it's a parallel to slave ownership and orcs are representative of black people! Eugh...
Otherwise for the article itself, maybe I'm too cynical but the whole "we realized that microtransanctions affect the game so in our infinite magnitude we are removing it" just made me eye roll, it was the drama about lootboxes that forced them to make changes, not a change of heart. Since they are dishonest about this, how can I trust them to be honest about having reworked the end game to be fair? Especially as it seems the game has a "true" ending that is locked behind tough challenges, and googling around it definitely does seem like you needed to drop money to progress or grind like a korean mmo farmer.

It doesn't help that looking up youtube vids for this game, I'm seeing mostly "check this awesome LEGENDARY orc" type vids instead of "check my cool army of orcs i handpicked because i liked them for reasons that make sense only to me instead of their stats or rarity rating".

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well here I wondered if there's good pixel artist at Valve.

At least they know where to find one, I guess.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Need some opinions on middle earth: shadows of war .Thought the first game was ok but I remembered there being so much drama for the sequel and microtransaction bs which out me off completely. Is this still the case?

The comments on that polygon article gave me cancer. Controlling orcs with the ring is clearly problematic as it's a parallel to slave ownership and orcs are representative of black people! Eugh...
Otherwise for the article itself, maybe I'm too cynical but the whole "we realized that microtransanctions affect the game so in our infinite magnitude we are removing it" just made me eye roll, it was the drama about lootboxes that forced them to make changes, not a change of heart. Since they are dishonest about this, how can I trust them to be honest about having reworked the end game to be fair? Especially as it seems the game has a "true" ending that is locked behind tough challenges, and googling around it definitely does seem like you needed to drop money to progress or grind like a korean mmo farmer.
It doesn't help that looking up youtube vids for this game, I'm seeing mostly "check this awesome LEGENDARY orc" type vids instead of "check my cool army of orcs i handpicked because i liked them for reasons that make sense only to me instead of their stats or rarity rating".
I love Shadow of War and highly recommend it.

Some things to know:
* The whole loot box idiocy was driven by the publisher, Warner Bros., not the developers, Monolith.
* You cannot drop real world cash to pay to win. The cash store was completely removed. Getting to the end is a long term challenge ... you get there by fighting a lot of fights.
* Even when the cash shop was there, all money would buy you was tougher orcs and higher-stat gear, not the ability to skip content. So those fights would have been easier I guess, but really it wouldn't have made much difference. I could be misremembering because I never felt like there was any point to the cash shop as you get tons of orcs anyway.
* Hand picking orcs you like because you like them is a valid strategy. I do it. Also, you can give upgrade potions to the ones you really like to make them "Legendary".
* The missions you can send your favorite guys on to level them up are fun. Hand pick some crazy dude, give him an assassination mission, then follow along to help him and level up. Don't fuck it up though, he might get killed. To me this is what it's all about.
* Tip: keeping your favorite orcs alive can be a real bitch sometimes, especially at the beginning of the game. Keep your eye on the radar and watch for the "bleeding out' icon as there is no other indication you're about to lose a guy in large scale fights. Or just stay close to your favorites and keep an eye on them. Sometimes they will die anyway though, don't get so attached you can't deal iwth it.
* Tip: there is a command for "send your bodyguard home". This is a good way to ensure your favorite orc won't get killed. Make him your bodyguard, then send him home if you're worried things are getting out of hand.

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I WAS TOTALLY LAME AND BOUGHT KOTC ON STEAM I GUESS SINCE IT IS ONE OF THE BEST RPGS EVER

PIERRE DESERVES TO EAT BETTER ROOTS EVEN IF I THINK HELL FUCK UP KOTC 2 SOMETHING AWESOME

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I love Shadow of War and highly recommend it.

Some things to know:
* The whole loot box idiocy was driven by the publisher, Warner Bros., not the developers, Monolith.
* You cannot drop real world cash to pay to win. The cash store was completely removed. Getting to the end is a long term challenge ... you get there by fighting a lot of fights.
* Even when the cash shop was there, all money would buy you was tougher orcs and higher-stat gear, not the ability to skip content. So those fights would have been easier I guess, but really it wouldn't have made much difference. I could be misremembering because I never felt like there was any point to the cash shop, you get tons of orcs anyway.
* Hand picking orcs you like because you like them is a valid strategy. I do it. Also, you can give upgrade potions to the ones you really like to make them "Legendary".
* The missions you can send your favorite guys on to level them up are fun. Hand pick some crazy dude, give him an assassination mission, then follow along to help him and level up. Don't fuck it up though, he might get killed. To me this is what it's all about.
* Tip: keeping your favorite orcs alive can be a real bitch sometimes, especially at the beginning of the game. Keep your eye on the radar and watch for the "bleeding out' icon as there is no other indication you're about to lose a guy in large scale fights. Or just stay close to your favorites and keep an eye on them. Sometimes they will die anyway though, don't get so attached you can't deal iwth it.
* Tip: there is a command for "send your bodyguard home". This is a good way to ensure your favorite orc won't get killed. Make him your bodyguard, then send him home if you're worried things are getting out of hand.
You can just kill all the orcs and have done, right?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
God, their current take on sales really starts to piss me off. It's not only about the stupid prices of games, lack of flash deals and lame discounts, but:

1. The wishlist is becoming increasingly useless, because every other game has "complete, ultimate, goty edition" that can, for example, have -40 something discount compared to base game -25%. So you just have to click around like a tard hoping for the better.
2. Devs seemingly really love to be dicks who release games cut into 20 different pieces and then only discount some of them.
3. There are some really retarded takes on points 1 and 2, like discounting base game and individual dlc, but not the full version, so you can have complete edition that's more expensive than buying base game and all the dlc separately lol.

What a mess. They really managed to cure me from spending money on games I will not play over the last couple of years.

mastroego

Arcane
God, their current take on sales really starts to piss me off. It's not only about the stupid prices of games, lack of flash deals and lame discounts, but:

1. The wishlist is becoming increasingly useless, because every other game has "complete, ultimate, goty edition" that can, for example, have -40 something discount compared to base game -25%. So you just have to click around like a tard hoping for the better.
2. Devs seemingly really love to be dicks who release games cut into 20 different pieces and then only discount some of them.
3. There are some really retarded takes on points 1 and 2, like discounting base game and individual dlc, but not the full version, so you can have complete edition that's more expensive than buying base game and all the dlc separately lol.

What a mess. They really managed to cure me from spending money on games I will not play over the last couple of years.
I own Stardock's Fallen Enchantress and just for completion's sake I would be prepared to throw, let's say, 3-4 $ at them to get the DLCs.
We're talking about a 2013 game and not even very meaty DLCs.
The game proper has seen decent sales but the DLCs never have.

I'm not going to give them 20 or even 10$ for that stuff.
I'm totally with you bro.
They're all helping with curing my completionist obsession.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Well it isn't easy I agree. I scroll through my wishlist from top, bottom and middle because I can no longer do it in 1 day. I also filter out only games on sale, the 10-20% don't even count. only 60% and more. Still I find it hard to find something that is worth the time to download and try because the value of most games is a negative number. I usually just put them on the wishlist so I could find and look at them later.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Outstanding Visuals - Metro Exodus (a weak winner; too bad the voting ends a week before RDR2 comes to Steam, otherwise it'd be a slam dunk)

ITZ HAPPENING, and you can nominate it for shit.
Edit: Well shit, apparently you CAN'T nominate it. It has the nomination stuff on the store page, but it doesn't go through if you attempt it, and you can't nominate it from the awards page. Oh well.

Have they already said something about the price?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Why is there a giant tentacle going after Gaben in the banner now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom