Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness The ending of Bloodlines was too abrupt

S.torch

Arbiter
So I finished Bloodlines very recently and after that final I found myself thinking "what? that's it?".

The first half of the game was very good, atmospheric, excellent music, weird characters and interesting quests. But the second half was very poor, most of your skills become useless (specially the social skills), filled with bad combat and never ending dungeons. But the game keep me going because I wanted to know, I wanted to know what was inside the sarcophagus.

Just to reach the end and find that... it was all a scam. There was nothing inside the sarcophagus, at least, nothing good. So everything my character did was for nothing?
What happened with all the story about the sarcophagus being the tomb of an ancient king, with engravings of blood drinking? All a coincidence?
What happened with all the characters and factions that you interacted along the game? there isn't even an afterword about them.
And finally, who was the taxi driver? Cain? why he was helping you? why such a important figure is only referenced at the end?

In the end of the game is like nothing had mattered. Your character just walk away, you don't even know what happens to him.

Codex Year of the Donut
you're not supposed to finish it, you're supposed to get halfway then remember what the other half of the game is like, exit the game and never have the will to finish it eventually uninstalling it a few months later just to reinstall it next year

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is no denying that the second half of the game feels rushed and there is a drop in quality.

As for the ending, I loved it.

You were warned to not open the sarcophagus many times and all endings:

felt right even the one when you end up on bottom of the ocean for being race traitor.

Only :obviously: option is back the Butin Strauss though. :salute:

Last edited:

None

Scholar
So I finished Bloodlines very recently and after that final I found myself thinking "what? that's it?".
Just to reach the end and find that... it was all a scam. There was nothing inside the sarcophagus, at least, nothing good. So everything my character did was for nothing?

Your character was someone's pawn the entire time.

Whatever ending you get is ultimately a "just as planned" type of event. IIRC there are a lot of chess references based on current events you get in your email that point this kind of thing out. It is also a theme in general for VtM/WoD.

Vincente

Arbiter
IIRC there are a lot of chess references based on current events you get in your email that point this kind of thing out.
Not only the chess messages, throughout the game its hinted multiple times (E, Rosa, Strauss, Pisha, Beckett) that you should avoid it, or just not open it, and like you said all VtM plots have big ''fuck you, your shit doesnt matter'' at the end, so it fits

Mark Richard

Arcane
Just to reach the end and find that... it was all a scam.
You say that, but do you really understand? The Camarilla, the Anarchs, vampire society. It's a nesting doll that never ends, a layered scam where each puppet master turns out to be another unwitting puppet. You were used. The only real question is do you accept this system and take your place within it? Or do you struggle to break free from the unseen forces masterminding your unlife while under the terrifying notion that any freedom gained could well be an illusion?

Repressed Homosexual
It's fancier to say that the end of the game was meant to be brutal to indicate the futility of your quest, than the truth, that Troika was out of money and everyone was burnt out, and Activision pissed off and wanting them to get this out of their plate already.

Delterius

Arcane
every possible ending of bloodlines was bound to be horrible because it means you now live in a world post bloodlines

why even go on

Because Bloodlines 2 is coming out so soon!
Yes-1-2817993015.jpg

Viata

Arcane
The fact that your actions doesn't even matter at all makes this game so much better. You are just a random vampire in the middle of something weird going on and for some fucked up reason, allowed yourself to become a pawn, despite the fact a lot of people told you to get the fuck out. If you open the sarcophagus, you deserved to die anyway. A pawn can at most be a queen, but never will be a king. :kingcomrade:

S.torch

Arbiter
You are a random vampire, mate. In fact, even Ming Xiao and LaCroix are also pawns in all that shit.

That's is not how it works. Every vampire has a generation, the lower the generation, the powerful the vampire. Supposedly what was inside the sarcophagus was an antediluvian, a vampire from the third or second generation, one of the most powerful. That's why everyone was searching it like crazy in the first place.

LaCroix is obviously from a lower generation than you, and thats why he can dominate you earlier in the game. But on the ending, he fails to do so. Which means that we got a few generations lower.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom