Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Sure today cities are build by stupid planning. In such conditions the cities grow naturally. It is not about efficiency but about how unnatural it is. Also calling that mountain a fucking hill when it is bigger than the city is retarded. If it was actual hill it would have been a natural position for the elite and the military buildings. The city would have grown toward it,not around it.
Agree about drawing of hill, apparently artist was exercised his/her ego or compensated something.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sure today cities are build by stupid planning. In such conditions the cities grow naturally. It is not about efficiency but about how unnatural it is. Also calling that mountain a fucking hill when it is bigger than the city is retarded. If it was actual hill it would have been a natural position for the elite and the military buildings. The city would have grown toward it,not around it.
Agree about drawing of hill, apparently artist was exercised his/her ego or compensated something.
Yeah,i am having problems with that retarded curve around the hill,it is the most unnatural thing ever. Outer neighbourhood are usually packed around the walls so in case of attack to be easy transported in the inner city...if the lord allows it. All that curve is retarded beyond believe.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Yeah,i am having problems with that retarded curve around the hill,it is the most unnatural thing ever. Outer neighbourhood are usually packed around the walls so in case of attack to be easy transported in the inner city...if the lord allows it. All that curve is retarded beyond believe.

I presume the cause is the new position of Wyrm's Crossing. The author clearly thought that traffic from the bridge to the city gate would result in settlement along the way. He obviously miscalculated.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Both the forested areas at top and bottom are hills, the one on south particularly abrupt, yet the actual walled in section of the city and the keep is in the shadow of the heights.

Just because there's a height in an area(Brasov has other hills jutting out), doesn't mean the first, best idea is to build a castle on top of it.
From what i have seen it is as i said. The city is in the lower part and the castles and the noble quarter is build in the hills/mountains. And yes,it is normal for the city to have a wall too. Still i could be mistaken,toro ,Magnat ?

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Depends on the city's main purpose.

This city in particular is a traders' town, with no clear distinction of nobility, but divided by traders' guilds and/or efficiency. Anyone of more important stature, would live close to the main square, or closer to your left (the city's source of water).

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
200 people is not AAA development in 2019. AAA games are made by 500 to over 1000 people these days.

That many people touch them in some fashion, but not that many are full time working on it the whole development period. Also whether it's "AAA" or not, 200 people ain't making a fucking Pillars of Eternity style game.

DOS 2 was already made by 130 devs source: https://www.pcgamer.com/how-larian-studios-skirted-bankruptcy-before-making-divinity-original-sin/) when they can get the new generation of DND players + people who only watch D&D streams to buy the game they will make tons of money. Back in the 2000s Bioware had to sell their games to a much smaller number of DND players and was very successfull with it.
And as you said the game won't be a low budget POE it will be something like Dragon Age Origins which also had a team of 180 people.
I guess that there are far less active D&D players nowadays. And BG3 is definetly not targeted only to hardcore D&D fans. I'd love Larian to do modern Wizardry 8-like game with D&D ruleset but there is zero chance for that. Regarding mechanics my best expectation is slightly better version of Neverwinter Online , not a chance for a proper D&D game.

Elex

Arbiter

East of the city, high above the scattered slums and cut-rate inns that stretch along the trade road, rises the steep yellow granite of Dusthawk Hill. This cliff-skirted hill is one of the last known refuges of the Chionthar dusthawk (use the hawk statistics), a once-common raptor whose numbers precipitously declined over the last century as regional turmoil and the ever-spreading slums outside Baldur's Gate consumed its habitat.

Local legend holds that the dusthawk was Balduran's favorite hunting bird, and that the Chionthar population is descended from his own personal hunting hawks. When the dukes of Baldur's Gate realized that the dusthawk was on the verge of extinction, they declared the hill, which included both the hawks' cliffside nests and their hunting grounds, to be off limits to unlicensed hunters. Despite the fences and cliffs that cordon off most of the hill, trespassers remain common, the demand for dusthawk hunting birds having exploded among the wealthy.

Many in the Outer City resent the hill being turned into private land. Several camps and slums were cleared as a result, their dwellers losing everything. The homeless resent the patriars for being willing to spend money giving hawks a home, but not them. Others resent the Flaming Fist guards who keep them from trapping on the hill. Stringy rabbits and scrawny quail made poor meals, but they were meals, and now many hunters have none.

Rumors hold that werewolves lair in the sea caves under Dusthawk Hill, pretending to be ordinary smugglers—or ordinary animals—while plotting against the city. Whenever a grisly murder captures Baldurians' imaginations, someone is always quick to claim that it must be one of the Dusthawk werewolves who did the deed.

Elex

Arbiter
200 people is not AAA development in 2019. AAA games are made by 500 to over 1000 people these days.

That many people touch them in some fashion, but not that many are full time working on it the whole development period. Also whether it's "AAA" or not, 200 people ain't making a fucking Pillars of Eternity style game.

DOS 2 was already made by 130 devs source: https://www.pcgamer.com/how-larian-studios-skirted-bankruptcy-before-making-divinity-original-sin/) when they can get the new generation of DND players + people who only watch D&D streams to buy the game they will make tons of money. Back in the 2000s Bioware had to sell their games to a much smaller number of DND players and was very successfull with it.
And as you said the game won't be a low budget POE it will be something like Dragon Age Origins which also had a team of 180 people.
I guess that there are far less active D&D players nowadays. And BG3 is definetly not targeted only to hardcore D&D fans. I'd love Larian to do modern Wizardry 8-like game with D&D ruleset but there is zero chance for that. Regarding mechanics my best expectation is slightly better version of Neverwinter Online , not a chance for a proper D&D game.
D&D 5 edition is the most popular edition ever.

Mortmal

Arcane
All things being equal, I prefer systems that track actual wounds than HP indeed.

iu

(This one is from Robinson Requiem)

A blast from the past.. was Robinson the first survival game? You could even amputate limbs and go blind, this the real survival horror
It was probably not the first, given that games went in wild directions at this time, but it was certainly the most detailed for its time.
I died countless times from spoiled food, water infected wounds ...
I should definitely replay it today (or play its quasi sequel Deus?).
Yes deus the sequel was very worth playing too. Those 3D games age extremely poorly although, dont know if anyone can stomach that anymore . Silmarils was publishing quite odd and original games back then .

Yldriel

Literate
Those 3D games aged extremely poorly although, I don't know if anyone can stomach that anymore.
As long as it's in 60FPS and lets remap the controls you should be good.

Playing old games on my potato Windows tablet during my night shifts has been an interesting learning experience: 4:3 is fine, 240p is fine, low-poly PS1 is fine, but the retardo control schemes + 20FPS absolutely kill many "classics". By contrast, even older and more primitive games like Doom, Command & Conquer or Terminal Velocity are still a blast to play.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The people who play D&D these days are nu-geeks and other assorted scenefags that do it because their favorite Overwatch voice actors do it and they embark on mega shitty campaigns that nobody with PROPER taste would ever bother with. That's assuming they even play it to begin with and don't buy the books to take up shelf space in their manchild rooms.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
The people who play D&D these days are nu-geeks and other assorted scenefags that do it because their favorite Overwatch voice actors do it and they embark on mega shitty campaigns that nobody with PROPER taste would ever bother with.
Is there such a thing as D&D hipsters?

Cael

Arcane

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't usually write "I fixed it for you", but I fixed it for you. +M

3.5e was different than 2e, the armor mechanic got dumbed down, full plate armor with the same AC vs a sword and a mace for eg, but the spells DC was a good addition. On 2e, a save vs death vs a novice mage with a scroll and vs a spell casted by a elder lich requires to roll the same number...

Generic-Giant-Spider

Both 2e and 3.5 are great. There's no need for two titans to fight.

5e is okay, but 4e? 4e was GARBAGE. It's good to keep some 4e material around if you need to purge your system of any poison you may have consumed, I suppose.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

East of the city, high above the scattered slums and cut-rate inns that stretch along the trade road, rises the steep yellow granite of Dusthawk Hill. This cliff-skirted hill is one of the last known refuges of the Chionthar dusthawk (use the hawk statistics), a once-common raptor whose numbers precipitously declined over the last century as regional turmoil and the ever-spreading slums outside Baldur's Gate consumed its habitat.

Local legend holds that the dusthawk was Balduran's favorite hunting bird, and that the Chionthar population is descended from his own personal hunting hawks. When the dukes of Baldur's Gate realized that the dusthawk was on the verge of extinction, they declared the hill, which included both the hawks' cliffside nests and their hunting grounds, to be off limits to unlicensed hunters. Despite the fences and cliffs that cordon off most of the hill, trespassers remain common, the demand for dusthawk hunting birds having exploded among the wealthy.

Many in the Outer City resent the hill being turned into private land. Several camps and slums were cleared as a result, their dwellers losing everything. The homeless resent the patriars for being willing to spend money giving hawks a home, but not them. Others resent the Flaming Fist guards who keep them from trapping on the hill. Stringy rabbits and scrawny quail made poor meals, but they were meals, and now many hunters have none.

Rumors hold that werewolves lair in the sea caves under Dusthawk Hill, pretending to be ordinary smugglers—or ordinary animals—while plotting against the city. Whenever a grisly murder captures Baldurians' imaginations, someone is always quick to claim that it must be one of the Dusthawk werewolves who did the deed.

As if quasi-medieval dukes would even care - or notice! - a species is going extinct. I despise trying to give modern sensibilities to such societies. It ruins mah immershun.

Elex

Arbiter
5e is the closer thing to 2nd edition ever existed, they removed thaco and stuff like “10 pages of rules for grapple someone”, they also tried to stop the bloating avoiding to release manuals after manuals while at the same time keep certain stuff because “is tradition”.
Designs also accepted “linear fighter, quadratic wizard” while managed to limit caster a little (many buff spell require concentration you can only concentrate 1 spell at time).
DM also have more freedom and they can homebrew stuff easily: because designer realized putting tons of rules for stopping asshole DM don’t work.

In short traditional stuff written with modern design.

apparently pink hair hipsters know D&D better than rpg codex.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
One thing that i loved about 5e is that is much more about characters than magical gear...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom