Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium spoilery thread

Rev

Arcane
Quick question, guys: I've already finished the game (and some will remember that I really, really liked it) but I'm curious about one thing.
In my playthrough I always tried to investigate and discover things about the murder case, the city, the district, the characters, etc. and the passing of days sold me on the impression that if I just went around doing nothing or if I fucked things up too much there would be consequences. But I still haven't find the time to replay the game and try other choices, so I'm asking: is it really like that? For example, if I simply choose to waste Harry's time while doing nothing at all would I have to face some kind of consequence for that? A game over, maybe, if too many days go on or something like that?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Quick question, guys: I've already finished the game (and some will remember that I really, really liked it) but I'm curious about one thing.
In my playthrough I always tried to investigate and discover things about the murder case, the city, the district, the characters, etc. and the passing of days sold me on the impression that if I just went around doing nothing or if I fucked things up too much there would be consequences. But I still haven't find the time to replay the game and try other choices, so I'm asking: is it really like that? For example, if I simply choose to waste Harry's time while doing nothing at all would I have to face some kind of consequence for that? A game over, maybe, if too many days go on or something like that?

Ask the phasmid.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Ask the phasmid.

Did you actually like the game? Can't recall.

vota DC

Augur
Game delivers fake sense of urgency. Take your time. Kim comments only first day of you don't follow the case. After you don't even get bad comments while rushing just cuts content.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I understand that in murder-mysteries the suspects is often revealed to be an someone unlikable, but wasn't making him an insane black, racist, communist incel a bit too much?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I understand that in murder-mysteries the suspects is often revealed to be an someone unlikable, but wasn't making him an insane black, racist, communist incel a bit too much?

Get real, he is the perfect Other to capitalist realism.

Further reading:
P0.jpg
9780805239539-uk.jpg

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really disliked the ending - both the phantasmid and the fact that the murderer is someone completely off on some secluded island that you get to once you do all fetching. It would be much more fitting if it was someone with whom the player already met and conversed.

This way it's just cheap and derp. OH NO MURDERER WAS SITTING ALL THE TIME ON SOME FUCKING ISLAND NO ONE EVER WENT TO AND KILLED FOR NO GOOD FUCKING REASON EXCEPT BEING INANE.

Or, if you understand it the other way, IT WAS FANTASY MONSTER ALL ALONG, MAGIC HAPPEND OH NO.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I've read through the thread so a few thoughts regarding the subject:
-The ending sequence and not being able to get on the island earlier. The main problem is that there is no reason to not get to the island before the Ruby thread is not resolved. IMO it would be better if player was allowed to get to the island and explore it earlier in the game if he passes the relevant Visual Calculus checks, but they should need something found either in Ruby tent or with the mercs to actually find him. For example: the island bunker doors need to be blown-up and explosives are in the bunker Ruby was hiding, right next to her tent.
I don't think that there should be an option to stop the Tribunal since then it would probably not happen for majority of the players, since preventing it would be #1 goal of everyone.
It would feel more natural if the tribunal started as a result of Ruby getting away/killing herself rather than an unrelated event.
-Kim probably survives the ending no matter what because there is a DLC/sequel planned and he needs to be there.
-The game has the same problem Telltele games have where nothing that's supposed to have serious consequences has any consequences. Time passage doesn't matter in the end. Kim warns you that working for the union boss is a very bad idea, but only thing is does is gets you chewed by your squad at the end. But since you have to actively try to fuck-up to not get reinstated it doesn't really matter if you do. It would be better if there either were some consequences or they didn't bother with the warnings.

lobsterfrogman

Scholar
I really disliked the ending - both the phantasmid and the fact that the murderer is someone completely off on some secluded island that you get to once you do all fetching. It would be much more fitting if it was someone with whom the player already met and conversed.

This way it's just cheap and derp. OH NO MURDERER WAS SITTING ALL THE TIME ON SOME FUCKING ISLAND NO ONE EVER WENT TO AND KILLED FOR NO GOOD FUCKING REASON EXCEPT BEING INANE.

Or, if you understand it the other way, IT WAS FANTASY MONSTER ALL ALONG, MAGIC HAPPEND OH NO.

This ending is weak if you think of the game as a detective story. If you think of it as a personal Harry's story it is very fitting. The deserter is like a mirror and a cautionary tale for the MC. Harry is unhappy because he can't let go of a failed relationship from a few years ago; Martinaise was in danger because one man couldn't let go of a failed revolution from 50 years ago. Deserter is like a future version of Harry cracked up to eleven.

Niareh

Barely Literate
Finished this game yesterday. Definitely the best RPG I have played in a while. I had a LOT of questions:

1) People here are talking about the world being faced with imminent doom. The Pale seems like some natural event like the heat death of our universe. Is it hinted somewhere that it will consume the world sooner and say not in a million years?

2) I also got the "Cop captain planning a revolt" message at the end. Does he always consider Harry a man of the people even if say you are a Moralist, ultraliberal who is pro coalition? The revolt seemed like the biggest sequel hook to me.

3) Is there any plot reward for being sober? Also Kim knew about me trying the radioactive drug even though I took it once he had gone to sleep which was weird.

4) Someone mentioned Harry's profession is determined by our stats? Is that really the case as I was told I was a gym teacher with 1 Phys (I still punched and spin kicked Meathead by using items, thoughts and alcohol tho).

5) Also, are the reactions of people in your tribunal affected by your persona. My team seemed pretty pro-communism and dismissed Dora as a bourgeois woman (I was very commie).

6) Harry definitely has supernatural abilities right? So many of his guesses and insights are just unreasonably accurate. I think he has some connection with the pale which gives him his mental abilities.

7) Why do people think the game doesn't take a side? Even if it mocks all sides, the game felt most sympathetic towards communism (but that might be because I am a commie too). I would agree that giving the choice for you to do things that the game devs might deeply disagree with made the game a lot more satisfying (someone should tell Bioware about this).

I loved the game but I have to say I don't feel like playing it again because I feel I saw every possible thing (the only thing I didn't was the nuke but that is probably because I didn't have the needed reaction speed at the time). I started with 5/3/1/3 character. I might try playing again to partner with Cuno but I don't have the heart to let Kim get shot. (I also don't feel like playing as a fascist who completely fucks up). The time limit is pretty useless considering you can never go past 2 am. I did most of the fishing village, church and nightclub stuff in a single night.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Finished this game yesterday. Definitely the best RPG I have played in a while. I had a LOT of questions:

1) People here are talking about the world being faced with imminent doom. The Pale seems like some natural event like the heat death of our universe. Is it hinted somewhere that it will consume the world sooner and say not in a million years?

I can't stop thinking about that nuclear blast wiping out Revachol in 20 years.

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2) That's entirely on you. As a fascist/liberal cop I didn't even get a passing mention of the revolt.

As a fascist/liberal cop I still got the police captain mentioning Harry duBois is a trustworthy guy who'll do the right thing. It's one of those "visions" you can get at the end if you have high enough Esprit de Corps skill.

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

axedice

Cipher

According to the phasmid, human consciousness has spawned the pale and recent human development has only hastened it. So it makes sense that the "doom" is approaching faster than heat death or any other cosmic occurence.

As for communicating with the city's genious loci, I remember reading a comment about how Kurvitz's book (Sacred and Horrible Scent) described the atomic explosion in Revachol as a past event. If true, this means the explosion is canon, quite possibly as a result of the hinted uprising but I don't see how it is connected with the pale-ocalypse. We'll know for sure about this once the book is published in English (or some brave Estonian gives us a summary).

2) I also got the "Cop captain planning a revolt" message at the end. Does he always consider Harry a man of the people even if say you are a Moralist, ultraliberal who is pro coalition? The revolt seemed like the biggest sequel hook to me.

I also got this with high esprit IIRC, but I haven't played with a full blown capitalist. Dont think it changes though, its more about Harry's core personality and caring nature in the past. He started out as a gym teacher but became a police officer to make a difference.

3) Is there any plot reward for being sober? Also Kim knew about me trying the radioactive drug even though I took it once he had gone to sleep which was weird.

Game's gonna game. Kim does mention your sobriety though.

4) Someone mentioned Harry's profession is determined by our stats? Is that really the case as I was told I was a gym teacher with 1 Phys (I still punched and spin kicked Meathead by using items, thoughts and alcohol tho).

Nah gym teacher is cannon.

5) Also, are the reactions of people in your tribunal affected by your persona. My team seemed pretty pro-communism and dismissed Dora as a bourgeois woman (I was very commie).

I think this part is standart as well. I wasn't that commie and got the same lines.

6) Harry definitely has supernatural abilities right? So many of his guesses and insights are just unreasonably accurate. I think he has some connection with the pale which gives him his mental abilities.

I think Harry's insights are simply good cop instincts. I also don't see how past Harry could've interacted with the pale other than the theoritical, we don't see anything in past case files IIRC and something like that would surely have been mentioned. He has no more superpowers than Kim, he just has a more colorful persona.

7) Why do people think the game doesn't take a side? Even if it mocks all sides, the game felt most sympathetic towards communism (but that might be because I am a commie too). I would agree that giving the choice for you to do things that the game devs might deeply disagree with made the game a lot more satisfying (someone should tell Bioware about this).

My take is that the game comments on a failed communist revolution that didn't last long enough to be corrupted. If you don't purge your former allies or starve millions to death, communism has a lot of selling points.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
According to the phasmid

most reliable speaker ever

quite possibly as a result of the hinted uprising but I don't see how it is connected with the pale-ocalypse

like, nuke it from the orbit?

Harry definitely has supernatural abilities right? So many of his guesses and insights are just unreasonably accurate. I think he has some connection with the pale which gives him his mental abilities.

He is not fucking Potter, he is just Harry.

Or is he?

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

I think Harry's insights are simply good cop instincts. I also don't see how past Harry could've interacted with the pale other than the theoritical, we don't see anything in past case files IIRC and something like that would surely have been mentioned. He has no more superpowers than Kim, he just has a more colorful persona.

Game does hint at this, but it is up to interpretation. Look at it this way: why does Kim try to keep you away from the Palerider? Pity for the poor old woman or something else? What does it mean when someone who is way beyond the safe pale exposure level comments that Harry is insane?

Reasonable doubt, as there should be.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I also got this with high esprit IIRC, but I haven't played with a full blown capitalist. Dont think it changes though, its more about Harry's core personality and caring nature in the past. He started out as a gym teacher but became a police officer to make a difference.

All of the political opinions Harry can adopt are pretty pro-Revacholian independence. Except for moralist-centrism, which is mostly about not having an opinion at all (which would also not stand in the way of Harry supporting an independence movement).

axedice

Cipher
According to the phasmid

most reliable speaker ever

I think the Phasmid's "speech" in the end was the writers dropping some heavy lore bombs. Inland Empire is as reliable as a narrator can get in the game and considering the amount of lore and details given in the conversation (such as the 4.000 year old civilization - a 16 encyclopedia hidden check) , I think most of it, if not all are true.

quite possibly as a result of the hinted uprising but I don't see how it is connected with the pale-ocalypse

like, nuke it from the orbit?

Thats what I also thought when I first had that encounter. To battle the pale expansion, humans are nuking outbursts with the most lethal weapon they can find. The stupidity of the idea really hits home. But after the hint about the revolution I'm not so sure anymore. Maybe it'll target both?

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
To battle the pale expansion, humans are nuking outbursts with the most lethal weapon they can find. The stupidity of the idea really hits home.

With Pale being "sink" of humanity's discarded thoughts and feelings nuking all humans around potential "weak" spot of reality is not a such stupid idea, when I think about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom