Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Duraframe300

Arcane
"more like Fallout 1"

fakenews.png

Eh.. the vídeo is p.good and even if dont agree with the tittle, he has entire section to say why.

Btw not even Outer Worlds's own subreddit thinks the game isn't that good and totally dont deserve goty. I guess they arent that brain dead. Pretty funny :M

https://www.reddit.com/r/theouterworlds/comments/e1guzx/unpopular_opinion_the_outer_worlds_does_not/

They still like it but at least theres some voice to obsidian to make next game better asides from here.

It's the general conscious around the internet since after the initial hype went down. Good, with tons of room to improve. So, more or less Tim and Leonard predicted its reception with the hype downplay. :M

There's not really any game this year though that ISN'T massivly flawed (or sadly suffers the indie cuse, most of us know Disco Elysium should get GOTY) that its going to appear on GOTY lists regardless. Case in point, the canadian version of jeuxvideo gave it Game of the Year (Ahead of Death Stranding and Fire Emblem).

https://jeuxvideo.rds.ca/top-2019-les-meilleurs-jeux-de-lannee-selon-rds-jeux-video/

Edit: Or Android Central where it got best rpg and best new IP + Runner UP GOTY and Obsidian got Runner-UP Studio of the year

https://www.androidcentral.com/android-centrals-best-games-2019-award

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Just finished this (on Supernova) and it was definitely disappointing; I felt like I was merely going through the motions, though obviously coming off the Disco Elysium high has something to do with this.

The combat is easy, character-building options nearly non-existent. The only thing I enjoyed about the core systems was companions being quite viable in combat provided you support them with the occasional stim shot.

This game deserves a review to drive home just how underwhelming it all is. The review should be that of Fallout: New Vegas, and it should laud Obsidian for learning its lessons from The Outer Worlds to make Fallout: New Vegas a much better game. In other words: We need irony, and we need lots of it.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Btw not even Outer Worlds's own subreddit thinks the game isn't that good and totally dont deserve goty. I guess they arent that brain dead. Pretty funny :M

https://www.reddit.com/r/theouterworlds/comments/e1guzx/unpopular_opinion_the_outer_worlds_does_not/

They still like it but at least theres some voice to obsidian to make next game better asides from here.

It's the general conscious around the internet since after the initial hype went down. Good, with tons of room to improve. So, more or less Tim and Leonard predicted its reception with the hype downplay. :M

There's not really any game this year though that ISN'T massivly flawed (or sadly suffers the indie cuse, most of us know Disco Elysium should get GOTY) that its going to appear on GOTY lists regardless. Case in point, the canadian version of jeuxvideo gave it Game of the Year (Ahead of Death Stranding and Fire Emblem).

https://jeuxvideo.rds.ca/top-2019-les-meilleurs-jeux-de-lannee-selon-rds-jeux-video/

Edit: Or Android Central where it got best rpg and best new IP + Runner UP GOTY and Obsidian got Runner-UP Studio of the year

https://www.androidcentral.com/android-centrals-best-games-2019-award

It sounds that some journalists and game sites want to inflate TOW to a more impressive title than it really is. Some are probably easily impressed, wanting to see more into the game than there really is.

I can't help though thinking that virtue signalling because of some of the content is also part of it.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can't help though thinking that virtue signalling because of some of the content is also part of it.

I think it is kind of knee-jerk reaction to market's over-saturation with GAAS, micro-transactions and 60$-betas for major multiplayer tittles that do not survive until their proper release.
So virtue signaling is not for some content in the TOW in particular, but for single-player story-focused content/feature complete games in general.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I think it's a bit of both. It is rather refreshing that TOW is more or less feature-complete (even though the features are rather meh), but also there's the desperate grasping by some reviewers to treat the game's subject matter as a nuanced take on hyper-capitalism or whatever, because All Games Are Political.

gestalt11

Arbiter
I think it's a bit of both. It is rather refreshing that TOW is more or less feature-complete (even though the features are rather meh), but also there's the desperate grasping by some reviewers to treat the game's subject matter as a nuanced take on hyper-capitalism or whatever, because All Games Are Political.
IMO its mostly two things.

1) Because FO76's $100 dollar fiasco was so close to its release people latch onto OW as an example of a similar game that doesn't need to be such a ridiculous scam but also be a decent game, to bolster this they exaggerate how good of a game it is. This is essentially how the media has worked for about 20 years. Come up with a premise and then adjust everything by degree until that premise is plausible.

2) Over the last 10 years, but part of university pedagogy for 30 years, there has been a major push to backfill Marxism into popular economic thought by pushing the idea of "late stage capitalism", i.e. they are trying to inject Marx's theories about the progression of economies from one stage to another as if they are wholly accepted and make perfect sense. Again this is a common tactic of the media over the last 20 years, they do this for any concept they need to skip any criticism. This idea failed to pass such criticism in the past so they just shoehorn and backfill it into the popular unconsciousness through repetition and fake authority. The idea itself is stupid and is one of the reasons I found Marx's version of communism to be rather silly. And yes there are versions of communism and yes anarcho-communists had plenty of critiques of Marx as his contemporaries and wound up mostly correct in their criticism, this is another thing this cabal of douchebags likes to hide. In this case its not "intentional", these people have been indoctrinated in universities and actually think this is just good information that the ignorant plebs need to know. So when they see OW's trite bullshit they latch onto it and promote it and say "see late stage capitalism is a thing cuz I r smurt". Too bad people don't understand history doesn't bear out that the concept has any merit at all and that communism already exists and has for a billion years. All multi-cellular systems are essentially communism and there is no fucking way in the world any human would ever want to live under such a system. In such a system you have programmed cell-death, you die when you are told to die, and when this breaks down we call it "cancer" and the system dies. Only species like bees, whose DNA gets passed on as the colony itself sustain such things. Humans can never become communistic, their DNA will never let them and if any population of humans are ever shoehorned into something like it, they will destroy it and themselves just like all cancer ridden multi-cellular animal systems do. The idea that late-stage capitalism prgresses into communism is asinine and that is why they need to slide it in in a way that it will just be accepted on authority.

Wesp5

Arcane
So virtue signaling is not for some content in the TOW in particular, but for single-player story-focused content/feature complete games in general.

Indeed! Also remember that most of you here are hardcore RPG gamers, and this is the first non indie-like isometric RPG that Obsidian made since Alpha Protocol.

JDR13

Arcane

Indeed! Also remember that most of you here are hardcore RPG gamers, and this is the first non indie-like isometric RPG that Obsidian made since Alpha Protocol.

Not quite. Apha Protocol was released before FO:NV.

Wesp5

Arcane

Not quite. Apha Protocol was released before FO:NV.

Oops, in that case it was FO:NV then. Still it has been a long time since Obsidian made something not isometric for the masses ;)!

Adon

Arcane
Finally finishing up my playthrough of TOW, and must say I'm impressed at how much I ended up liking Nyoka. She ended up turning out to be a far better companion than Ellie whose personal quest ended up being pretty lame. Nyoka and Vicar are the only ones who end up feeling like they're characters of any kind of substance compared to the rest of the companions. Parvati had potential, but then her quest takes a complete left turn into something totally unrelated to her background as an engineer, or the set up with her mom having to leave Parvati and her dad at a young age; which would've been 10 times more interesting than what we got. Felix might be alright, but truth to be told I hardly ever have him around since his companion ability is literally just a drop kick and in comparison to everyone else, totally not worth the hassle of having him around.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
FELIX and MAX are BASED, Nyoka turns out pretty okay too as Adon pointed out.

Only ELLIE is really shit tbh, feels kinda out of place. Could make more sense If she had some kind of allegiance and you met her via sublight quests or something

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game has become more fun for me after reaching Stellar Bay/Monarch. Finally a place where multiple things seem to be happening, instead of single-plotline micro-worlds where you maximize a single faction's approval before moving on to the next. A game like this really needs to hit that point earlier, I think. Roseway has some good stuff in it but as a chapter it's a real drag on the game's momentum.

Even the writing seems better. Sanjar Nandi is a really nicely done affectionate satire of a well-meaning middle manager. I wasn't expecting something like that.

We'll see how it continues.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This game has become more fun for me after reaching Stellar Bay/Monarch. Finally a place where multiple things seem to be happening, instead of single-plotline micro-worlds where you maximize a single faction's approval before moving on to the next. A game like this really needs to hit that point earlier, I think. Roseway has some good stuff in it but as a chapter it's a real drag on the game's momentum.

Even the writing seems a bit better. Sanjar Nandi is a really nicely done affectionate satire of a well-meaning middle manager. I wasn't expecting something like that.

We'll see how it continues.
I partially agree,monarch is the only decent part of the game and in reality the only open world part of the game,in reality it is the main contend of the game. Anyway,brace yourself for the parts after it :).

Deadyawn

Learned
I could get behind the Jules Verne aesthetic if they didn't do the borderlands thing of putting lights in just about everything. Guns with lights, boxes with lights, roads with lights running down the middle. Lights, lights, lights.

Also, the writting is shit.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
https://kotaku.com/the-art-of-obsidians-the-outer-worlds-1840087678?

The Outer Worlds is one of the best games of the year, so it’s a treat tonight to be sharing some of the concept art that went into the game’s production.

pa9lcuxyo8tyvgbpphvz.jpg

Below is a sample of work from some of the artists responsible for the game’s look, ranging from character art to weapon design to environments to graphic design.

You’ll find links to each artist’s portfolio in their names below.

Breanna Guthrie, Concept Artist
f66roitcjvzcnxftycbg.jpg

ye7ecsoxnhqtijzlqazg.jpg

bow00g3z1kggn16b6uwa.jpg

bljdzldhsd5cvnjo1ucg.jpg
Bobby Hernandez, Senior Concept Artist
bbxne2bwrgxkamsiuina.jpg

ay1i9zkaqmy0dvbtjs6q.jpg

zwl7ieek4sfrlhf0co3y.jpg

rqqmk1q5ewtmck1md41k.jpg

lbxmopmqeks6dkynd1qy.jpg

hckm8w6hlmdspdhs9dcu.jpg

lfdrg2n4jiqv09cqm0qy.jpg

jnyrdm5dkjjecjpzchgj.jpg
Hannah Kennedy, Concept Artist
bzkf2uhzghiq5mimwcss.jpg

qxx8c2imswx0bvukno8j.jpg

rdr4723ekb6nft8ty4py.jpg

lnmu0e2dvxxhow5larjo.jpg

kyt7uncevuyk8dy1ojsy.jpg
Brian Menze, Senior Concept Artist
rfxwgrkiulbqy2kbrcdi.jpg

nloegkg2khwcnpgpvq82.jpg

k1sqc218d9azlcp0id98.jpg

pd68ltib6lrrw3p28hnu.jpg

t6vmxbv0fv7gvuwc2nyl.jpg

lwts2gcympyd38iewoat.jpg

rv2xhblbjh8r5iyghlhb.jpg

gx6txip2olv1j8hbxbkk.jpg

se6psg5qdgxznucughmn.jpg

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
concept stellar bay looks dope, realized version is a bit of dope from a long distance...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom