Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Resident Evil Revelations 2 is a decent RE4-like game. No coop, no QTEs, no retarded action setpieces, focus on exploration, some half decent scares.
Rev 2 has co-op, Moira and Natalia's gameplay is pretty boring but okay enough for non-gamers. Raid mode is playable in co-op too I believe.

ultimanecat

Arcane
I like Revelations 2, but it’s never dropped below $15 on Steam and that is mostly paying for cosmetic DLC and a few boosts for “horde”/mercenaries mode. When nearly every other RE from that era is $5-$10 it’s probably not worth it unless you really want to dive deep into that mode. At least, if there’s some way to only buy the story chapters on Steam I can’t figure it out.

Edit: actually I’m retarded and you definitely can buy just the core single-player chapters separately for just under $10 right now. I personally wouldn’t recommend the DLC story chapters because they’re expensive, short, and don’t add too much.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thanks guys.
I think I'll probably get it this time (starting with the first remake).

Planning to round up my sale choices during the week-end :)

Just trying to help by chipping in with my experience... or in a bizarre twist, the lack of it: I've never played any of the RE games, but from my perspective the first game (remastered or otherwise, your pick) is a safe bet. If you like that the second one might be worth a look. But that's as far as I'll take it.

Personally I'm not getting anything for this sale... holding out for the Xmas sale.

Got my Steam controller in the mail today since Valve apparently has a warehouse of 'em in Chicago, fucked around with it a little. Mirrors the general sentiment I've read online where it's surprisingly really fucking good for mouse-driven games with no controller support (Trying it on FTL was alarming how fucking good it was, arguably nicer to play than mouse and keyboard) and it's functional but weird in shooters. Tried it on both Doom 2016 and Dusk, using the top rated user configs for each (Dusk didn't have an official config, and Doom did but the user one was noticeably better) and it worked but still felt clunky. Part of it I'm sure is just getting used to the controller in general, which I'm absolutely not after maybe half an hour/an hour of dicking with it, but shooters seem to want to leverage the gyro controls and I don't think I'd ever get really comfortable with tilting the controller to help my aim. Plus on Dusk at least, where your thumb was on the right trackpad adjusted your turn speed. Around the center and you've got fine control, and around the edges you can do fast spins.

It appears the controllers are out of stock now so I couldn't pick up another if I fall in love with it, but I might actually use it for some mousey shit like FTL. Glad I grabbed one at least.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Today after work I rushed to the bank, it took me like 45 minutes, I put some money on my credit card and then I rushed home, I started my computer, I opened Steam and I selected Greedfall for my cart but then I remember that it's a piece of shit and I did not buy anything.

mastroego

Arcane
So, last item to evaluate before I pick my poisons tomorrow (I suppose).
I've noticed Beyond Earth at lowish price.

The Codex consensus (IRC) is that it was a failed, laughable Alpha Centauri "successor".
On the other hand, it comes now with expansion for 15$, AND there are MODS for it, including Alpha Centauri factions no less. Perhaps it's been modded enough to make it worthwile (for the price)?

The Codex consensus (IRC) is that it was a failed, laughable Alpha Centauri "successor".
On the other hand, it comes now with expansion for 15$, AND there are MODS for it, including Alpha Centauri factions no less. Perhaps it's been modded enough to make it worthwile (for the price)?
Generally speaking Beyond Earth feels like a more combat-heavy Civ5. The expansion changed things a bit, adding water cities and ripping off the influence resource/mechanic from Endless Legend/Endless Space 2 a little, but as a rule of thumb you should use your opinion on civ5 as a guide toward if Beyond Earth is even worth trying or not. Basically all victories in Beyond Earth involve combat in some degree (Outright conquest, building the portal to Earth which paints a big "Attack me" sign on you, etc) so bear that in mind. I will say it has an extremely pleasant soundtrack, one of the strongest points for it is it's a relaxing game to play. Didn't play enough to give a deep shakedown of the AI either, but I remember it being standoffish which civ5 was often guilty of too. It's not a complete dumpster fire and at $15 it's not like it'll break the bank but there isn't much unique or interesting going on with it either. I will say that if you were hoping for some Alpha Centauri flavor in the aliens/techs/civs you'll be sorely disappointed though.

mastroego

Arcane
Thanks @all for the comments, I'm closing in on my picks.
Feel like commenting a bit on the process (lazy morning).

Beyond Earth: PASS.
It's not like I cannot waste a few dollars on an average but discounted game, but it really seems like playing this game would continually evoke SAD comparisons with SMAC. I'd rather not.
Once again I find myself hoping that someone would just update SMAC's graphics and UI, perhaps insert a few more "modern" sci-fi concepts somehow - if it were possible to do it seamlessly - and release it again.

Resident Evil Remaster: IF PLAYABLE WITH KEYBOARD + MOUSE
The models are still too "anime" for my tastes and this is a bit off-putting. On the other hand, the game has legendary status and everyone is advocating for it, even on the Codex! :ooooo
So it'd be a yes but it occurred to me that maybe, since it was made for console gamepads in another ERA, it won't be very enjoyable with keyboard + mouse.
Need to research further.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: YES
Guilty pleasure, I liked the first two and even the new movie, also I'm still a doomed completionist after all.
Even at -78% is still too fucking pricey but I'll yield.
Bracing for the scorn and ridicule! :cry:

Tabletop Simulator: YES
I add this one even though I bought it a couple of weeks before the sale, at full price (20$).
Obviously a niche product but one with incredible potential value, just look at the workshop, it's endless.

All taken into account I'll end up with a total of 50$ disbursement for the sale season if I get RE too...
"Not great, not terrible".

Latelistener

Arcane
Resident Evil Remaster: IF PLAYABLE WITH KEYBOARD + MOUSE
The models are still too "anime" for my tastes and this is a bit off-putting. On the other hand, the game has legendary status and everyone is advocating for it, even on the Codex! :ooooo
So it'd be a yes but it occurred to me that maybe, since it was made for console gamepads in another ERA, it won't be very enjoyable with keyboard + mouse.
Need to research further.
I don't think you even need a mouse in this game. It has a static camera that changes angles automatically depending where you are and aiming is done by pressing a button, just like in 0, 2 and 3.

It has a very different control scheme than a 3rd person shooter. That's why I still can't digest what they did with the RE2 remake.

Modron

Arcane

I would say nay don't do it, it was a more generic Civ 5 with a lot less charm and depth. Felt like a lesser studio making a dlc for Civ 5. Some say the expansion makes it better but the vanilla was such a low bar I doubt it turns it into a decent at best game even. Got it as part of a bundle played one or two games of it and that was more than enough of it.

Vorark

Erudite
Pathfinder -> 27gb -> okay...
DOS2 -> 35gb -> well, fuck.
XCOM2 WotC -> "You do not have enough disk space available" -> *charlton-heston-laughing.gif*

Life is suffering.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Out of desperation to buy a single game during this sale, I subscribed to Humble for $9 (mostly for Yakuza, which I’d buy for that much anyway, but Soul Calibur 6 and some indie version of Harvest Moon are okay I guess) with the express purpose to save another 20% on their equivalent sales of Steam keys. At that level of discount, some of the deals actually are a tad more interesting. Got Hollow Knight for $6, may still decide to get Ace Combat for $24.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
RE1 voice acting is the stuff of legend for sure but the game was still fucking terrifying. REmake is the best RE imo. I never got why a lot of the fanbase prefered RE2. It was a good game but it turned the series from horror to action and it never quite recovered. RE2 is to RE1 what Aliens is to Alien. (Yes, I like Alien much better.)

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
O941t2A.jpg

There is some shit in there but at least some games are cheap as dirt.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Spintires is no longer maintained. The developer switched to Spintires: MudRunner.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Actually, he already abandoned Mudrunner and is working on an Epic exclusive ("Snowrunner" I believe). Spintires is better maintained than Mudrunner, and has just received new DLCs.
The guy is an absolute scumbag but Spintires was his masterpiece. Especially at this price you can't go wrong. you can play it for ca 50 hours like the rest of us and then forget about the franchise.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Is Children of a Dead Earth worth getting? The discount is pretty substantial.
I'm torn between Okami and Dragon's Dogma, can't get both. What's the consensus on 'em? If you're too lazy to write a response, maybe vote Deus Vult - DD, the little dog - Okami that would be helpful.

Both are great but Dragons Dogma is a low-key masterpiece that will leave you wanting more, whereas Okami is a 3D Zelda clone that is beautiful but kinda drags itself out. Combat in Okami gets stale fast but the style and esthetics keep things interesting, while Dragons Dogma is one of few action RPGs where combat legitimately gets more involved the longer you play.

Considering the forum we’re on I’d recommend Dragons Dogma easily.

Kitchen Utensil

Is Children of a Dead Earth worth getting? The discount is pretty substantial.
I'm torn between Okami and Dragon's Dogma, can't get both. What's the consensus on 'em? If you're too lazy to write a response, maybe vote Deus Vult - DD, the little dog - Okami that would be helpful.

Reported for Deus Vult harvesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom